+ Reply to Thread

tommywho70x Guest

1Small step for kind men, 1LOUD Bronx Cheer for Raider!

Source URL:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051011/...MzBHNlYwM3MDM-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newsview: Bush Could Lose Rove Over Probe By TOM RAUM, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 28 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - For nearly a quarter century, Karl Rove has been George Bush's political mentor. Bush calls him "the architect," the "boy genius." Others have called him "Bush's brain."

ADVERTISEMENT

Now, with a federal grand jury nipping at Rove's heels in its CIA leak investigation, the president may have to contemplate the previously unthinkable: managing without his right-hand man.

Rove helped Bush create a political persona and steered him to victory in two Texas gubernatorial and two presidential races. He polished Bush's message, nurtured ties with conservatives, oversaw crisis control and helped frame major policy initiatives.

"He's the president's alter ego on political and domestic policy," said veteran Republican strategist Charles Black. While Rove's most important past service to Bush — as a campaign strategist — is no longer needed by Bush, "he's still very valuable in terms of running domestic policy," Black said.

Rove is also helping to steer GOP efforts to expand their congressional majorities in the 2006 midterm elections and is seen by some as a would-be GOP kingmaker for 2008.

If Rove, 54, is forced to resign, it would be a major blow to a presidency already reeling from low approval ratings, the war in Iraq, rising gas prices and the aftermath of two Gulf Coast hurricanes.

Some Republicans suggest the investigation has already taken a toll, weakening and distracting Rove. Some even suggest the botched early response to Hurricane Katrina and the flash of indignation from the political right over the Harriet Miers Supreme Court nomination might have been averted had Rove been more hands-on.

It's hard to imagine Bush without Rove. Some Rove colleagues say, privately, that he is all but irreplaceable. They suggest nobody else now on the scene combines Rove's intimate knowledge of both politics and policy while also enjoying the full confidence of the president.

Rove's title, that of deputy White House chief of staff, hardly shows the enormous influence he wields.

Rove has already testified three times in the probe into whether an administration official deliberately leaked the identity of covert CIA operative Valerie Plame, whose husband is an administration critic. Rove has agreed to testify again, possibly this week, and prosecutors have told him they can no longer assure him he'll escape indictment.

Knowingly revealing the identity of a covert agent is a federal crime.

Special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald is trying to determine if White House aides violated the law in an attempt to get back at Plame's husband, former career diplomat Joseph Wilson for his assertions that the administration intentionally exaggerated Iraq's nuclear capability to pump up support for an invasion.

Rove has acknowledged that he discussed Wilson's allegations with reporters, but he said he was not the one who revealed Plame's identity. Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, Lewis Libby, also has acknowledged talking to reporters about the Plame case.

People familiar with Rove's testimony have told The Associated Press that Bush asked him in the fall of 2003 for assurances he was not involved in an effort to divulge Plame's identity and punish Wilson — and Rove told the president he was not.

At first, the White House flatly denied that Rove had been involved. Bush promised to fire anyone on his staff responsible for such a leak. He later stepped back, saying just that he would remove aides who committed crimes.

At a news conference last week, Bush declined to say whether he would remove an aide under indictment. On Tuesday, he told NBC's "Today" show: "I'm not going to talk about the case."

Rich Galen, a Republican consultant, said that Bush — the only U.S. president with a master's degree in business administration — was following the corporate model in delegating his political portfolio to Rove and then giving him considerable leeway, as a company chief executive might do with a trusted manager.

In Rove's case, his influence has grown well beyond the political portfolio because he and Bush "have been on the same wave length for so long," Galen said.

Frank Luntz, a pollster and analyst who often works for Republicans, warns against counting Rove out based on what may look like ominous signs from the grand jury.

"Rove has always been a survivor. He's brilliant at understanding the right thing to do at the right moment. He specializes in the ability to handle a crisis. What he has done for the president, I actually expect him now to do for himself," Luntz said. "He'll know what to do and what to say."

___

EDITOR'S NOTE — Tom Raum has covered national affairs for The Associated Press since 1973.

Copyright © 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Copyright © 2005 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
    Questions or Comments
    Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Ad Feedback
    Last edited by tommywho70x; 10-11-2005 at 02:18 PM.

Re: 1Small step for kind men, 1LOUD Bronx Cheer for Raider!

Associated Press?

No bias there.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider
    Associated Press?

No bias there.
    I agree Raider...it'd be much more reliable, fair, balanced and unbiased if it came from FOX News!!

Quote Originally Posted by mroels
    I agree Raider...it'd be much more reliable, fair, balanced and unbiased if it came from FOX News!!
    Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.mediaresearch.org/biasbasics/biasbasics1.asp

Fox reports the story all day long, they just don't dispense leftist conjecture into it like some sort of savory candy.

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!

Fox reports the story all day long, they just don't dispense leftist conjecture into it like some sort of savory candy.

LOL, they report all day long because the "right" must have it repeated over and over before it sinks in.

It's called: "BRAIN WASHING"

Lady Mod

tommywho70x Guest

No, Ma'am, the intelligentsia of the United States of Oxymoronica
    have a less provocative euphemism for that now;))

Perception + Management

Top-level TV/Radio production people sometimes call it a

Perfect Top10 Monical Intern Joke Linda Tripp wired to CBS DAVEL MAILBAG

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    LOL, they report all day long because the "right" must have it repeated over and over before it sinks in.

It's called: "BRAIN WASHING"

Lady Mod
    pardon me, but you wouldn't recognize balance if it smacked you right in the forehead!!!!You people just hate how fairness seems to win the ratings game and the bias of your 'credible' newssources are exposed daily!!!!

Now that's LOL :cool:

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!

Raider I was being sarcastic...while I do enjoy Fox news it is not the place to go for balanced and fair news....it is generally more commentary rather than reporting...and there is nothing wrong with that because news is personal and opinions are important...but they definitely shouldn't call themselves "fair and balanced"....be honest now Raider...Fox is good conservative commentary but not really fair nor balanced...i still like it thoug...good source for information!

tommywho70x Guest

Here ya go, all you "True Believer (s) Erich Hoffer", blast these guys: :D

http://www.indymedia.org/en/index.shtml

http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/sec...technology.asp

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=8860
    HTML Title: "The History of Amateur Radio"

Since the invention of radio in the 1890's, it has been independant radio operators who have provided the world's governments and civilian populations with the most up-to-the-minute accurate reporting on events occurring in 'hot' theaters of conflict.

The coast watchers and clandestine radio operators of the Mediterranean, North Sea and South Pacific who are the unsung heroes of the two "Great Wars" and during the "Cold War", it was often those operators who were the only sources of intelligence for the "NATO" alliance governments from "human resources" "in theater".

Now, in this new digital age of "INFORMATION WARFARE (see cite below)", when anybody with a few bucks, electricity, a telephone and a little fancy computing gear can become a TV/Radio Broadcaster or E-Newsletter Publisher/Blogger/CHAT ROOM HOST, it will be the independant multimedia producers with the stones to run the basic, raw facts about events that both the liberal and conservative media either suppress or spin out beyond all semblance of truth.

CITE:1 ex libris tommywho70x:

Title:1 Information Warfare
    Title:2 How to Survive Cyber Attacks
    Author: Michael Erbschloe
    Publisher: CP/m1 Osborne/McGraw-Hill
    Copyright: 2001
    234567890 DOC DOC 01987654321
    ISBN 0-07-213260

pardon me, but you wouldn't recognize balance if it smacked you right in the forehead!!!!You people just hate how fairness seems to win the ratings game and the bias of your 'credible' newssources are exposed daily!!!!

Now that's LOL :cool:
    Oh, contraire, I have no problem recognizing unbalance. For instance I recognize you right off as being unbalanced. Ergo, the opposite view from Raider's would be balanced.

Magnifique!

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho70x
    Here ya go, all you "True Believer (s) Erich Hoffer", blast these guys: :D

http://www.indymedia.org/en/index.shtml

http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/sec...technology.asp

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=8860
    HTML Title: "The History of Amateur Radio"

Since the invention of radio in the 1890's, it has been independant radio operators who have provided the world's governments and civilian populations with the most up-to-the-minute accurate reporting on events occurring in 'hot' theaters of conflict.

The coast watchers and clandestine radio operators of the Mediterranean, North Sea and South Pacific who are the unsung heroes of the two "Great Wars" and during the "Cold War", it was often those operators who were the only sources of intelligence for the "NATO" alliance governments from "human resources" "in theater".

Now, in this new digital age of "INFORMATION WARFARE (see cite below)", when anybody with a few bucks, electricity, a telephone and a little fancy computing gear can become a TV/Radio Broadcaster or E-Newsletter Publisher/Blogger/CHAT ROOM HOST, it will be the independant multimedia producers with the stones to run the basic, raw facts about events that both the liberal and conservative media either suppress or spin out beyond all semblance of truth.

CITE:1 ex libris tommywho70x:

Title:1 Information Warfare
    Title:2 How to Survive Cyber Attacks
    Author: Michael Erbschloe
    Publisher: CP/m1 Osborne/McGraw-Hill
    Copyright: 2001
    234567890 DOC DOC 01987654321
    ISBN 0-07-213260
    the Indymedia link seemed very fair. I am going to have to take exception however with the encyclopedia link. Futile attempt to subliminally rewrite history. quote under Bush, GW

"In February the administration announced plans for the largest American military buildup since the 1980s. That increase in defense spending and the loss of revenue due to the 2001 tax cut led to new budget deficits, beginning in 2002."

Highlight in blue. please note that there was no mention of the deep economic recession that our country faced because of 1) internet bubble & 2) The 9-11 attack.

I stopped there on bias from the encyclopedia link.

dxzone was above all the most fair, balanced and factual.

Thanks for that exercise tommy?70x!

tommywho70x Guest

You're Velcro, raider!

To be honest, I didn't read any of the encyclopedia link beyond material that was focused on the subject of this post, so I don't know what was there that you may have pooh-poohed.

I'm an IndyMedia Producer/Director/Performing Artiste
    (IM A PDPA armed with a PalmOne PDA m105 USR Modem & HotSync Manager ON AIR AMERICAN STYLE (CS.CSS) "$Chicago$" CO-COOK-ME:))

IndyMedia.org , in my not-so-humble opinion, is providing the World Wide Internet with the most penetratingly fair and balanced reporting on events that are being spun beyond belief by the liberal and conservative media if coverage of the events have
    not been suppressed altogether by the mainstream press, broadcast news and wire services.

I would want to point out that I am only referring to 'reporting on events' and not editorial opinions/personal blogs which are definitely skewed toward peace, freedom, liberty, justice, ecologically sound industrial practices and fair and equal access to resources for small-medium businesses as well as global MEGALOPOLIES.
    (at least the 'moderates' are that way; there're some pretty radical anti-corporatocracy freaks)

Another really good place to get an alternative view of Middle East and Balkan news is the University of Croatia web site called "Mario's CyberSpace Station" which is a Yahoo! Global Politics Portal site.

dxzone is what it is -- they are marketing radios for radio hobbyists, so their history of the radio is naturally going to be an exceptional standout against things like Wi-Ki, Webopedia and Encarta, that are more generalized and not so specifically focused.

Another hot tip for y'all is "The WayBack Machine - Free Public Access Usenet Archive"

There is an even more fun exercise waiting for you at http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=6260
    and I haven't seen you comment to the article that inspired my Poll: (POTUS)
    Post: http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=6178 which also contains some pretty damning statistics on the dubya dubya dubya administration of
    http://www.firstgov.gov/ - Homepage of the United States of America Plus!
    Toll-Free CALL:#01+800/FED-INFO! - Federal Information Center

I am not going to let you get away with killing dchristie's thread with a b!tch slap on the author. You want to discredit Paul Roberts, we'll pick that article apart point-by-point together. There are some very strong accusations in there and it would behoove you to really refute the allegations rather than rebuking the author and surfing off trying to look cool.

when you read my last post to that thread, understand that you definitely got my dander up with your response. man. i've been composing, editing and laying out articles, essays and technical reports for most of my life; i've got family and close friends in the field, including a PHD Journalist and the VP - Marketing of CBN, Va.Beach, US. i don't wanna get into any Pat Robertson debates. i think he's a schmuck and profiteer for Jesus who preaches a Paulist doctrine that conflicts with what Jesus taught.

Mrs. Veep is my sister-in-law and she and my brother were 'Original Sinners' in Campus Crusade for Christ and Jews for Jesus. what can i say? that's them; i'm me.

This computer is not for a surf monkey,either; it was built (by my own hands)specifically for digital photography and audio/video production, editing, packaging and broadcast. I have to spend most of my time at my*.desklink(MMC101/102) fighting off spies and saboteurs from the web and repairing the damage they cause to system registry files and hardware devices.

I was offline for a few hours tonight
    repairing and reinstalling software damaged by an attack and my Chloride DeskPower 650 UPS got blown up last week by "Excessive Line Current".

I'm not playing any games politically speaking either. I want to see the Bush men hang along with most of the membership of the Council on Foreign Relations and the Tri-Lateral Commission. I want to see a top-to-bottom, end-to-end cleansing of the federal government and restoration of parliamentary constitutional democracy that has been perverted by those men and women over the course of the past 41 11/12 years.
    Failing that, I want them to kill me for all the wrong reasons in front of a big crowd.
    As the Red men say: "Any day is a good day to die."