+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paypal

Paypal

I've recently been getting strange e-mails from Paypal (or someone calling themselves Paypal) with the subject line "Unauthorized Access to Your Paypal Account." The e-mail is very non-specific; it doesn't say what exactly is wrong with the account; it just gives the link to a web page that, as it turns out, is no longer up, and instead has a link to the "home page." I figured it was some kind of phishing scam, so I ignored it. Today I get an e-mail saying that a new e-mail address has been added to my Paypal account. I do not recognize this e-mail address, much less authorize it. It then goes on to say the following:

If you did not authorize this change or if you need assistance
    with your account, please contact PayPal customer service at:

https://www.paypal.com/us/wf/f=ap_email

When I click on the link, I get a dialog box that says this URL is not of the normal type, and that URLs of this type are sometimes known to contain viruses. So naturally, I cancelled the action, and did not go to that page.

Here's my theory on this: the earlier e-mails were a set up, a way to get me paranoid about identity theft through my Paypal account. Once they get me paranoid, they send me this latest e-mail, figuring that I'm more likely to click on that link now. Thank goodness for Yahoo Mail, which caught me.

Has anyone else had these issues, or has a different theory? I'm thinking of contacting Paypal (the REAL Paypal) about this.

Re: Paypal

It is just a phishing attempt. I get them from Ebay, Paypal, and a bank that I have never used in my life.

I get those fake paypal emails all the time. Just forward them to [email protected] and paypal will get rid of those sites. And delete those emails! Those scammers set up a fake paypal websites, they would then sent out fake paypal emails to paypal users telling them someone has added a new email to their account. So when you log in to the fake paypal sites, they would steal your password. And then they log in under your account name at the real paypal site to gain access to your credit cards, bank account and paypal account. The worse part is that; they would change your password and password questions, so you would have no access to actual paypal site what-so-ever. Then, all of your personal info on the paypal site would all be stolen. :(

Taro90

How do they get the paypal user list?(corrupt paypal employees)And if they can get this why cant they get the passwords?(employees who are corrupt dont have acces to them)Solution=Shutdown ebay give there money to starving children in africa :D Are you going to insult me?Yes as I hate ebay :D :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableGuy
    How do they get the paypal user list?(corrupt paypal employees)And if they can get this why cant they get the passwords?(employees who are corrupt dont have acces to them)Solution=Shutdown ebay give there money to starving children in africa :D Are you going to insult me?Yes as I hate ebay :D :eek:
    I get Ebay & Paypal emails like this. When you email [email protected](either or) you will get a response that the email is a phishing scam.
    Right now I'm dealing with a potential paypal fraud where I was paid a payout that has not shown up in our account. As soon as we can get verification that the payer paid (by showing us a receipt) then we are going after paypal. They will have one chance to correct the problem if it's on their end, then I might join you in shutting them down.... again IF it is paypal that has ripped us off. I don't think they want the court costs of a lawsuit over $16! We still have to determine where the problem lies though.....

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableGuy
    How do they get the paypal user list?(corrupt paypal employees)And if they can get this why cant they get the passwords?(employees who are corrupt dont have acces to them)

Well, I get them on my email that I don't even have a paypal account with... so i think its just random, and when someone gets one they go to the site, type in their info, and then those people have the info...

I have had such messages before but I go by the cardinal rule: Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. The internet corollory is believe nothing that you see or hear on the net. But that doesn't mean that you can't have fun.