+ Reply to Thread

tommywho70x Guest

Is it all 'Binja?' (KIHAVU: Goodness)

This shocking story was on Yahoo! News written by 'Kevin Sites'.

I can hardly wait to see what SCAM's oxymoronic 'Blogger Critics' have to say about this guy. (MICHELLE MALKIN IS PVSSY! Buaha: LIVE365.COM!!00.rad)

Source URL: (E-Web Address E1)http://hotzone.yahoo.com/b/hotzone/blogs1152

Sexual Violence is 'Worse Than the Guns'
    Posted by Kevin Sites
    on Tue Oct 11, 8:17 AM ET Post a Comment Video Audio Photo Essays

It is beneath its beauty, no, rather embedded in it that you discover its violence. From the soaring hilltops of Bukavu, looking across Lake Kivu, this place in eastern Congo seems more than serene; possibly, in the proper amber dusk-lit moment, idyllic even.

(Note: This dispatch contains explicit content that some readers may find disturbing. The names of sexual assault victims have been changed and their faces obscured to protect their privacy.)

But what you learn soon changes everything. For example: Lake Kivu, so magnificent, still seeps with the volcanic gas that helped create it; gas that in places can render bathers and fisherman unconscious.

Then consider the richness of the surrounding mountains -- laden with diamonds, gold and other precious minerals -- but also containing the armies, militias and rebel forces that plunder its wealth and, in the process, systematically rape and murder the impoverished local population.

"They use rape as a weapon of war," says 33-year-old Marie. "They have guns, but this is worse than the guns."

Marie speaks from experience. In 1997 her husband was killed and she was raped by three members of the Hutu Interahamwe militia -- the same group responsible for much of the 1994 genocide against ethnic Tutsis in Rwanda.

For Serapina, 25, the tragic moments of her life lay on top of each other like bricks, each one heavier than the last, slowly building into a crushing weight of unthinkable misery.

It began, also in 1997, when Rwandan soldiers supporting the Congolese revolt led by Laurent Kabila came to her home in the mountains of eastern Congo.

"They forced the door open," she says, in a sure and steady voice that has shared this story before. "They tied my husband on a tree. They had me to lay down. The first one came and he jumped on me. The second came, the third ... and all of them -- there were six -- and they had sex with me."

When they were finished, she says they shoved a piece of cloth far into her vagina.

"Then they took me outside," she continues. "They beat my husband. Then..." she pauses. "They killed my two children."

She says they looted everything from the house and then torched it. They left her standing naked in front of the flames. It was too much; mind and body shut down, and she says, she fainted.

For Serapina the horror was reprised seven years later. Rebel soldiers connected to Congolese dissident Laurent Nkunda came to the IDP (internally displaced persons) camp where the family was now living because of renewed violence.

"They killed my husband. After having killed him, one tied my arms on a tree. He also had sex with me as before," she says.

She was three months pregnant when she was raped the second time, she says, but two days later she had a miscarriage.

"They mutilated my husband's body. Cut off his arms." And then, she says in an unfathomably calm tone, "they forced me to eat my husband's flesh. They said they would kill me if I refused."

Serapina says she wishes she had died then. The only thing that has given her any hope in the aftermath of these assaults is the comfort from hundreds of others like her; women victimized by the armed groups camping near their communities.

Local Congolese non-profit groups, supported with funds from larger organizations like the International Rescue Committee (IRC), are organizing the women of these villages to create a network of support and empowerment.

Today, in a dirt-floor church, 170 women gather. Some carry infants, swaddled tightly against their backs with colorful scarves called kitambalas. Many of these children, I'm later told, are the offspring of their rapes.

The women stand and give testimony to what they've experienced. Their stories resonate with the power of shared trauma.

In another village, women stay in a school after hours. They say their terror continues nightly. They're afraid to sleep in their homes, instead hiding among the banana trees while rebels carrying torches come down from the hillsides, looking for them.

And these assaults come with legacies beyond the children that result from rape. In a nation where an estimated 3 million people are infected with HIV, women and their families are concerned that their rapes might actually be a slow and painful form of murder.

"The actual aim of these soldiers," says the leader of one of the women's groups, angrily, "is to exterminate their victims by giving them AIDS."

Elise, 43, was kidnapped by rebels last year and repeatedly raped for two weeks before being released. When she finally returned to her village she said her husband wanted to divorce her.

"He was afraid that they might have infected me. He would not even sleep in the house with me," she says. "And other people in the village would also point at me and say, 'There goes the wife of the rebels.'"

Elise says that the IRC sent counselors to talk with her husband about the situation and that he has become kinder and more understanding. For now, he no longer wants a divorce.

Sexual assault experts working in the area say these feelings by husbands are common, partly because of their own sense of guilt at not being able to prevent the attack on their wives.

Barwana's husband did divorce her after men from Nkunda's forces raped her last year. The 26-year-old's eyes begin to well up with tears, a tiny baby in her arms.

"I've experienced only suffering," she says. "Sometimes I feel I have no reason to go on living."

But then she says it's the other women in the group who give her hope. "Without them, I would already be dead."

Barwana says she doesn't know if her child is from her former husband or from one of the men who raped her.

She holds the baby tenderly, seeing the beauty even beyond the dark story.

In quiet defiance to the trauma she has experienced, Barwana has named her child Binja, which in her native language of Kihavu means "goodness."

Copyright © 2005 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
    Questions or Comments
    Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Ad Feedback

<<-=-sprintpcs.com/nntp://a001.sprintmail.com/sbcglobal.net/scams-=->>
    [NNTP]NetworkNewsTransferProtocol:#www-big-mama-one.netzero.net(UNTD)
    For: [email protected](8.0.1G3GE MAIL4 MEME5 MSIE6x,y,z-Zippy!)

You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may post attachments
    You may edit your posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.

Scams - Link To Us - Other Links - Free Blog Hosting - Contact Us -

Scams Message Board - Copyright © 2004 Scam.com , All Rights Reserved.

Re: Is it all 'Binja?' (KIHAVU: Goodness)

Nothing new here Tommy...this has been happening for a while now...too bad they don't have oil otherwise we'd might actually take some interest in their struggles... the funny thing is that the US and the UN actually made concious efforts to allow these types of civil wars and genocides to go on!

A very good friend of mine was with a company called Executive Outcomes, a South African private military company (pmc) or some might say mercenary group, who specialized in stabilizing conflict areas and restoring order. They proved their worth in Angola and Sierra Leone when they were contracted by the government's there to restore order and disarm rebel groups. Executive Outcomes has fought and trained soldiers in Angola and Sierra Leone, and is rumored to have been involved in Zaire, Kenya and Malaysia. Today Executive Outcomes no longer exists, but its peak former Special Forces and intelligence operatives staff it with 40 officers and 1500-2000 soldiers. It offered training in gunnery, field-craft and counter-insurgency, but also guidance in “peace-keeping services”, “human rights” and “spiritual welfare”. “We believe people's beliefs, cultures and values should be treated with utmost respect” (Sellars). Executive Outcomes was the only company of its kind, one that is willing to wage full frontal warfare on behalf of its clients.

In May 1995 Executive Outcomes forces landed. The men were outfitted in Sierra Leonean uniforms and supplied by the Sierra Leonean military. Once in the country, they set about training an elite corps of Sierra Leonean soldiers, and employed traditional hunters as scouts in the unfamiliar jungle. By the end of June 1995 Executive Outcomes had secured all areas economic and political interest in Sierra Leone. In February and March of 1996, less than a year after Executive Outcomes’ first troops landed, the Sierra Leonean population lined up at the polls for the first presidential elections in twenty-eight years. Ahmed Tejan Kabbah, a career U.N. bureaucrat, won the vote and Strasser retired into well-funded exile.

Unfortunately, Executive Outcomes success drew all the wrong attention to the company. Western governments (UN, US, EU) realizing the power and success of such a private military company became very worried about how this industry might develop. As a result the international community put enormous pressure on the new president to terminate the country’s contract with Executive Outcomes. After 21 months in the country Executive Outcomes was forced to leave the country to be replaced by an 18,000 man United Nations force. Unfortunately, what Executive Outcomes did successfully with only 1,000 men at a cost of $30 million, the UN was not able to do with its 18,000 men at a cost of $300 million every 6 months. Shortly after the UN arrived the rebels came back out continuing to destroy the country.

“Executive Outcomes, is the small wave of the future in terms of defense and security, because the international community, specifically the U.N. has abdicated that role (in Africa).” General Ian Douglas, a Canadian negotiator for the U.N., said, “Executive Outcomes gave us this stability. In a perfect world, of course, we wouldn't need an organization like Executive Outcomes, but I'd be reluctant to say they have to go just because they are mercenaries.”

Ironically, EO was later contacted by the Secretary-General of the UN during the early days of the Rwandan and Congolese genocides for a possible intervention by the company. EO's services were never used, despite its estimate that it could have saved 200,000 lives from massacre by deploying only 1,500 security personnel at a cost of US$100 million. And the UN never did anything allowing the largest genocides to happen. The genocides in Africa that we all observe from a safe distance would've even made Hitler blush!

One more thing...so much pressure was put on the South African government to outlaw organizations like EO that they were forced to close shop in 1999...since then numerous american/british PMCs have sprung up (MPRI, CRG, Blackwater etc) though who are considered legit because they'll only work for Western governments.

tommywho70x Guest

Maybe you and your business associates would care, because you're in the oil business, but I've got some news for you, there are strategic metals that are out in them thar' hills that have people killing each other worse than the Rhino horn-poaching wars.

I forget which one it is, but there is a metal that is critical to the manufacture of these little Hi-Tech/Low-Cost toys of the Yuppie Empire System (Y.E.S.! IT WORKS!!)
    up in the Congo hills that is probably one of the hottest flash points in the civil war there.

I'm in the Gem and Mineral business and I've known about the scenarios and private merc armies you describe for almost 20 years. Malachite, the striped green semi-precious stone, comes out of the copper mines in Zaire along with other copper-based semi-precious gem stones and collectible mineral specimens.

The stuff doesn't leave the country in any quantity with a private buyer unless buyer shows up with an armed company to transport it.

Same kind of situation is building in the mining regions Ecuador, Colombia and Brazil. One of my vendors got blown away in the Minas Gerais region 8 years ago. A friend of mine answered a classified ad for a Geologist position with a mining company in Ecuador and when he interviewed, they told him that the job required that he be able to demonstrate small arms proficiency and be willing to carry 24x7. He declined the job.

You hip to 'The Gemstone Files' ? or GGLIDDY SECRET PROJECT:
    GEMSTONE.~??
    Published by LARRY FLYNT: HUSTLER prior to 1982, which is when I first saw the report, it describes the methods used to trade weaponry with undeveloped nations lacking in hard currency by trading in drugs and easily transported and converted precious gems. Legend has it that publication precipitated the failed assassination attempt on him that put him in a wheelchair.

Hitler was a lightweight compared to Stalin and Mao. I think it was MBUTU out there in central Africa where the found a walk-in freezer full of butchered and dressed humans hanging like beef when they finally got rid of him.
    Last edited by tommywho70x; 10-11-2005 at 12:07 PM.

That's all interesting stuff but wouldn't you agree to the simple concept that it is rediculous for the international community to criticize a private company for doing a job that no one else is interested in doing?

tommywho70x Guest

So long as that company can demonstrate that they execute their 'tasks' in conformance with International conventions, yes, I would agree, but when was the last time you met a merc commander who cared about conventions?

The fact it that Executive Outcomes during their mission in Sierra Leone had virtually no "colleteral damage" and even minimized enemie casualty by forcing surrender through shock tactics used during their operations!! So i'd rather have highly efficient well trained forces operating outside of ICs who minimize civilian casualties rather than a conventional army who follow international law but carpet bomb a whole area!

To further support my point about PMCs...private militaries will have to conduct themselves in an appropriate manner within acceptable norms because they have to worry about future contracts from other governments...whereas a national army never has to worry about its future employment...except for their budget perhaps, which has more to do with the political landscape rather than their performance! In fact it almost seems the worse a national army performs the larger their budget!

tommywho70x Guest

10-4:20 that one, good buddy!

especially when one considers that they are using those wonderful DU shells when they saturate the ground with hot blobs of exploding metals. Make sure them rotten sand niggahs keep on dying after it's all over, eh what?

pip-pip! FBI WARNING:(Old News) "OPERATION WOODEN NICKEL"
    (A sting operation run against foreign currency traders and their hanky-panky. Pips are what? The .01,.001, or .0001% fractions that the different Fiat Currency moves in a trading day. Anybody know which fraction?)