+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Comedy Site

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

Re: Comedy Site

Quote Originally Posted by Kelderek View Post
    Hey, unicorns still exist... it's called a rhinoceros

You're right about it being more like a "cow, ox, bison" than a horse... But you don't need the Bible to prove that... just visit your local zoo.

BTW, why do you think they are extinct??
    It's hard living up to the image people expect :yelcutelaughA:

The reason I thought it was extinct, was that I believed it was the giant rhino that is extinct now, but I'm probably wrong since it supposedly died out before modern man. It was a huge animal, I think about as large an an elephant.

But you're probably right. It was likely the "Uni-Horn" rhino of today. I don't think the Bible ever uses the word rhino, but it mentions unicorns 7 times. They did inhabit Africa and parts of Asia.

Here's an interesting video on the topic:

Go Here:
    http://webstersdictionary1828.com/

Now type THIS into the search bar
    rhinoceros

Here's what it says:

A genus of quadrupeds of two species, one of which, the unicorn, as a single horn growing almost erect from the nose. This animal when full grown, is said to be 12 feet in length. There is another species with two horns, the bicornis. They are natives of Asia and Africa.
    Thank you Tom for working so hard to REINFORCE my faith. If you're trying to create more Atheist non-thinking followers of your cult, you've failed miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    The reason I thought it was extinct, was that I believed it was the giant rhino that is extinct now, but I'm probably wrong since it supposedly died out before modern man. It was a huge animal, I think about as large an an elephant.
    Be careful now, you're referring to science... you know what that can lead to! :crazy1:

The Elasmotherium had a single horn, further up on the forehead compared to a modern rhino.

There are speculations that they might have survived until the early days of man and therefore might have been referred to in early myths and legends.
    Which potentially brought them into the stories that ended up in the Bible.
    (I humbly apologize for bringing science into it again!)

The video you posted is not entirely accurate, there are actually single horn rhinos living today. Two of the five modern day rhino spieces have single horns.
    (Sorry... there I am bringing science into it again!)

I think we have two plausible explanations here:

- Legends of Elasmotherium survived in folklore
    - Somebody had travelled to where rhino's lived and brought back stories that became distorted to "horse-like" creatures

Regardless of how the unicorn legends came about, it obviously seeped into the Bible books.

Also remember that Marco Polo claimed to have seen unicorns on his travels...
    He most likely saw a Javan rhinoceros, that has one horn.

The video you posted is not entirely accurate, there are actually single horn rhinos living today. Two of the five modern day rhino spieces have single horns.
    (Sorry... there I am bringing science into it again!)

Did it say single horned rhinos don't exist? I didn't see that.

And please don't sink to the level of the Atheist snobs here who think they alone determine "science" -- especially when their liberal views determine what is and isn't accurate science. You're supposed to be better than that here.

Did it say single horned rhinos don't exist? I didn't see that.
    It says that "a rhino has two horns" and then makes a point about it "not being a unicorn".
    And then continues to introduce the Elasmotherium as a solution to this problem. This is where they go wrong, the number of horns is not really relevant.
    It's the placement of the main horn in the middle that is the distinguishing feature of a rhino.

I think the unicorn myth comes from people seeing rhinos.
    It doesn't matter that a rhino has a tiny second horn behind the main horn. That's not what strikes you when you see it, if you've never seen an animal like that before.

Even if you do notice it, it's not what you necessarily point out as important when you get back home and tell your stories at the campfire. And you have no snapshots in your mobile to help you to point out tiny details like that... ;-)

And please don't sink to the level of the Atheist snobs here who think they alone determine "science" -- especially when their liberal views determine what is and isn't accurate science. You're supposed to be better than that here.
    I was actually sinking to your level, since you have a habit of bashing certain "science" as inaccurate...
    But you're right, I shouldn't. And I humbly apologize.
    As you say, I'm supposed to be better than that! :king22:
    Last edited by Kelderek; 10-22-2014 at 09:52 AM.

- Somebody had travelled to where rhino's lived and brought back stories that became distorted to "horse-like" creatures

Sure they did, maybe it was while someone was surveying to see how many Ark stalls they needed when the big rain came.

Speaking of science. Would a rhino who's mama was looking at a bush or sticks come out striped or spotted the way sheep and goats do? It's in the bible it must be true.

Just helping to get carl's faith stronger. He has now shown he knows as much about science as he does the process of passing and vetoing a bill.