+ Reply to Thread

Biblical Contradictions

Who was Joseph's father?

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

Re: Biblical Contradictions

I just made a "breaking news" post below this one, read it for more info about this.

-Lance

I once learned that if one comes across a condridiction that "...we either don't understand it or it is a figure of speech...". What that teacher was trying to impart was that biblical writings need to be viewed in the context in which they were written. Now, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise or even attempt to debate this issue... I'm no biblical scholar... by any means. However, I did come across this discussion and thought you may find it informative.

http://p089.ezboard.com/fsabdiscussi...cID=1522.topic

cheers,
    Paul

tommywho70x Guest

Here is an aspect of that story that is even more contradictory:

Matthew was a Levite Scribe. The standard practice was to trace geneology through the fathers, hence all the begats and begots we see in the 'Old Testament'.

If Joseph was NOT Jesus' father, as the proponents of the 'Virgin Birth MYTH' would like everybody to believe, why mention Joseph at all?

To my knowledge, Jesus himself never referred to God ELOHIM or Lord God YHVH as the father of his body, in calling himself 'Son of Man', but was calling 'Our Father who art in heaven...' the father of his SOUL, which he knew to be the same spirit that enlivens each and every one of us.

Some Hasidic rabbis will teach that the reason for that was that Jesus was conceived out of wedlock by Joseph who was betrothed to Mary and wed her while she was pregnant. They say the story was concocted to avoid the label of 'MOMZER' or 'B&ASTARD' being hung on Jesus.

Other Bible scholars will speak of the Virgin Birth story as a concession to practitioners of 'Mystery Religions' being converted by Paul and the gang after Jesus' crucifixion and ascension.

Tommy, where did you get the info that Matthew was a sofer? I know the style of the times was midrashic, but--never seen a Hebrew text of Matthew, and even for midrash, it really, really stretches things.

I haven't yet found confirmation in historical sources that the guy even lived--help me out here please!

tommywho70x Guest

i forget whether it was the chabadnik rabbi, lazar rifkin, der alte rebbe's nephew or my brother who was 'saved' by the woman who later became his wife and they both went on to New Tribes Bible Institute in Waukesha, WI, which is a non-sectarian, fundamentalist college.

could have been both, i forgot; must be early stages of Alzheimer's or my long-term memory has been weakened by too much pot smoking.

look at the style of Matthew's writing against the scribes, prophets and other apostles. i'm not real good at citing chapter and verse, but i believe that he was referred to as a Levite in accounts that expanded on the apostles and their lives.

There aren't a whole lot of reliable historic sources from that period. Most of the major manuscripts were destroyed in big fires beginning with Alexandria running regularly through the centuries through the last big one by Martin Luther.

You might find some clues to answer some of your questions if you step outside the mainstream churches and look at the Essene Gospels of Christ and writings of the Coptic and Gnostic churches.

The big churches have been cooking the books to fit their own agendas straight along.
    Last edited by tommywho70x; 10-12-2005 at 02:18 AM.

i just read a forwarded email that went something like this.........a god fearing believer was discussing his religion with his barber when the barber said,if there is a good god that exists then why all the suffering and mayhem and etc in the world!!just look outside!!so the man went out and looked and returned.and declared.if barbers exist,then why are there men with long hair and beards!!the barber replied,i made my sign and hung it out!if they wish my services they have simply to come in!!................ :eek: :D :rolleyes:
    Last edited by lexx; 10-12-2005 at 04:19 PM.