+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fake Resume

Fake Resume

I know this is a 'scam' but we can't all be angels here, so fess up. Have you or have you not ever faked a resume to get a job?
    I'll let you guess why I am asking.

2. 10-08-2005, 08:53 PM

Re: Fake Resume

No. Once 'on the job' the truth will eventually 'out'. Once that happens your employment will be terminated for falsification of the application (employers will eventually get around to having you fill one out to complete the paperwork and it usually matches the resume).

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    No. Once 'on the job' the truth will eventually 'out'. Once that happens your employment will be terminated for falsification of the application (employers will eventually get around to having you fill one out to complete the paperwork and it usually matches the resume).

cheers,
    Paul

It isn't that hard to check now a days. Not worth the risk of putting down false info. Why bother? I never have. I have left out previous salary. I let my future employee ask during an interview. I was a regional supervisor for a company that went belly up. I knew that I wouldn't even get an interview if I put that high of a previous salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Chyna
    It isn't that hard to check now a days. Not worth the risk of putting down false info. Why bother? I never have. I have left out previous salary. I let my future employee ask during an interview. I was a regional supervisor for a company that went belly up. I knew that I wouldn't even get an interview if I put that high of a previous salary.

Just for future reference. There is nothing wrong with leaving out your salary at previous places of employment. In fact it is highly recommended to answer "confidential" when asked about previous salary. Pay structures are essentially confidential business practices and especially if you divulge this type of information to a company that competes with your former employer it can get you into trouble. Many employment contracts will actually have a confidentiality clause in them stating that you should not divulge such sensitive information! Furthermore, when you do simply give up such information to a hiring manager it will send the message that you might not be trustworthy as far as confidential information is concerned. Not a good impression to make while applying for a position. And, your previous salary should have no relevance as to how qualified you are for the position you are interviewing for.
    Even if you are being asked about your salary requirements now, you probably shouldn't answer, because you might be undervaluing yourself which send a wrong message. And, even worse you might be leaving money on the table. It would be better to ask what they have budgetted for the position and what the pay increases would be according to your performance, and the timeframe these increases take place in!!

Sorry this was kinda random considering the post but I thought it wouldn't be a bad thing to be aware of!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smashingplates
    I know this is a 'scam' but we can't all be angels here, so fess up. Have you or have you not ever faked a resume to get a job?
    I'll let you guess why I am asking.
    WHY ARE YOU ASKING???

Quote Originally Posted by mroels
    WHY ARE YOU ASKING???
    There's not much call for woman in the workplace who have been at home with kids for 7yrs. I can't get hired with the resume I have because it's rubbish. All the jobs I had prior to getting married and having babies are completely irrelevant to the positions I am applying for (I was a freelance riding instructor, good luck with that!) and these positions are not exactly rocket science, working in a 7Eleven, Receptionist, Meirs & Frank, Clerk, Driver. You name it and I have applied for it.
    This isn't a sob story when I say we are broke. No debt, but we are living pay cheque to pay cheque, and we will lose our house that we just bought last year if I can't find a job.

You do what you have to do for your family, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Smashingplates
    There's not much call for woman in the workplace who have been at home with kids for 7yrs. I can't get hired with the resume I have because it's rubbish. All the jobs I had prior to getting married and having babies are completely irrelevant to the positions I am applying for (I was a freelance riding instructor, good luck with that!) and these positions are not exactly rocket science, working in a 7Eleven, Receptionist, Meirs & Frank, Clerk, Driver. You name it and I have applied for it.
    This isn't a sob story when I say we are broke. No debt, but we are living pay cheque to pay cheque, and we will lose our house that we just bought last year if I can't find a job.

You do what you have to do for your family, right?
    Sorry to hear about your situation. I might suggest trying an MLM like Primerica where investment required will be minimal e.g. $200 for state licensing. I know its kinda funny for me to suggest MLM type employment on this site but you can make good money...even part-time as long as you work hard...even if your qualifications aren't really up-to-date...and ofcourse make sure they are legit.

Other than that..I might lie on my resume in your situation but do it based on factual info...for example pick a job at a company that shut down a few years ago...give good reason why you haven't been working since e.g. raising children...in the mean time don't be shy to exaggerate your computer skills and managerial skill (after all if housewives were paid for all the duties they'd be rich!!!)

But this is by no way professional advice just a friendly suggestion!!

Thanks mroels, but I wouldn't succeed at MLM, I know because last year I tried to sell Mary Kay and failed quickly
    I did try hard. On the last day I asked 30 women in Walmart if they would like a facial (you make appointment to give them a facial and hopefully they will buy all the lotions and cosmetics you use) and they all said NO! I remember calling my husband and saying I had asked 29 women and I was going to ask one more person and if I get another no I'm throwing in the towel.
    The sad part is that I actually believed in the product I was trying to sell, and have used Mary Kay products for years.
    Anyway, I appreciate your reply and it's given me more to consider before I try and deceive any future employer, thanks :)

Hey plates...another piece of advice...it probably doesn't hurt to go and check in with your local community college's career office...they normally have career counseling sessions/classes in the evening that run like $10 a pop..better than some professional career counseling for 5K ()...and normally you don't have to be a student for the actual career center to help you find a job!
    Last edited by Administrator; 08-06-2016 at 06:33 PM.

Hi Mroels, what do you think of my recent idea (see Ebay post).
    I have already contacted a college about doing a business studies course, but I need a job while I am studying, and in order to study I need a job to pay for it.

Keep the ideas coming though, I like your way of thinking and your posts are encouraging :)
    Last edited by Smashingplates; 10-09-2005 at 10:51 AM.

Not sure about the Ebay thing...i personally don't know enough about it give any advice...but my college suggestion was more about finding a job than doing classes.. the fact is that they'll have like weekly seminars for people trying to find jobs but aren't sure how to go about it...they'll teach you how to write a good resume, do interviews and where to look for jobs...and the careers centers at college always have long job listings so i'm sure they'll have some clerical or admin position in their files for you

I have left out alot of temporary jobs and said I was self employed in the gaps. I might have exaggerated a but too