+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The pope

Re: The pope

Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    My 2 cents (and not really worth that much). I would bet that Jesus did exist and developed quite a following. But it appears his followers added a lot of fluff and used a lot of stories that are too similar to mythology existing at the time. Virgin birth, raising the dead, healing the sick, coming back from death, ascending etc.

All that said I'm glad you are here to add some reason. I wish Bibleman would have hung around too.
    Thanks Tom. The B-man certainly would add to the conversation. I'm not a strict defender of the Bible as there were tons of manuscripts out there at the time. I can say it was God inspired but I certainly wouldn't say it was from God and sactioned by him. Men wrote the books and made all the decisions as to its devinity with lots of contradiction. It is also possible some of the authors wrote history to fit a theme and prophetic expedience.

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    That's my point, IF he did exist, why'd his 'fans' wait forty+ years to start the rumors?! It doesn't make any sense...:blunt:
    I can certainly see why they wouldn't document anything immediately after his death. It would be dangerous and frankly most probably didn't read. Also we are not certain as to the original dates of these books. It is believed that many were originally written in Aramaic for their basic Jewish audience. Once Christianity grew throughout the ancient world it was then translated in Greek. Its those Greek documents we use as a basis of origin.

Quote Originally Posted by noagenda View Post
    I can certainly see why they wouldn't document anything immediately after his death. It would be dangerous and frankly most probably didn't read. Also we are not certain as to the original dates of these books. It is believed that many were originally written in Aramaic for their basic Jewish audience. Once Christianity grew throughout the ancient world it was then translated in Greek. Its those Greek documents we use as a basis of origin.
    Damn it man. You bring logic into the argument. This is the type of debate that I've hoped for.

Quote Originally Posted by noagenda View Post
    Typically you would find him like most find any spiritual experience. Through observation, inquiry, introspection, meditation and personal experience.

Really ? You have copies of the Roman census that was taken in Judea when Christ was supposedly born ? I'm sure that omission would be proof positive. You have the dockets that the Romans had at the time of Pontius Pilate and Jesus' trial never came up. I know DNA samples or lack thereof. Sorry Kerry but lack of empirical evidence doesn't prove it one way or the other.

As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

"Francis said that God redeems everyone"

Then why are Christians always telling us that we're worthless for not believing in their god and the things they believe?