+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The pope

The pope

So the pope has said some things that must have really shaken some people around here. I mentioned it in another thread biut it will be a lot more amusing to see it ignored in a new thread.

What would be nice though would be real debate, not just name calling. So on that note please discuss

During a homily in Rome on May 22, Francis said that God redeems everyone – not just Christians, but atheists, as well.

In some of his sharpest comments as pope, Francis criticized Christian busybodies in May.
    “We all chat in church,” the pope said. “As Christians we chat.

It is as if we want to put each other down,” Francis continued. “Instead of growing, one makes the other feel small while I feel great. That will not do.”

Gossip, the pope said, is like honey. It tastes sweet at first, but large doses deliver stomach aches.

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

Re: The pope

Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post

What would be nice though would be real debate, not just name calling. So on that note please discuss
    You're too stupid for words.-- tominaustin

Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    You're too stupid for words.-- tominaustin
    I see you choose to be stupid again and not actually discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    I see you choose to be stupid again and not actually discuss.
    Hey, at least he's consistent!
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by PeggieSue View Post
    An Atheist can enter into heaven according to the Pope if he is first good and then finds Christ.
    How can an atheist "find christ" if he doesn't believe in the bible's absurd nonsense?! Just lie?! wth!!
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    How can an atheist "find christ" if he doesn't believe in the bible's absurd nonsense?! Just lie?! wth!!
    Where does it say in the bible you have to believe everything written in the bible to find Christ ? Fact is there was no bible for the early "Christians"

Quote Originally Posted by PeggieSue View Post
    Good question, the post I made wasn't what the Pope had to say about what he said. I assumed that is what he meant but we need to ask the Pope.

When I think about it living forever sounds kind of bizarre. (Going to heaven) Yikes, it is difficult to wrap one's head around that. Forever is a long long time. lol
    We view things as living beings with a beginning and an end. Whats hard to conceptualize is the idea of not just a forever, but of an always been. Time is the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by noagenda View Post
    Where does it say in the bible you have to believe everything written in the bible to find Christ? Fact is there was no bible for the early "Christians"
    So, nowadays....without the bible's fantasies/myth....just how does one "find christ" then?!

Also,....from what I've found, christ very likely didn't even exist as a real person, let alone being the son of 'god'....:blunt:
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

So, nowadays....without the bible's fantasies/myth....just how does one "find christ" then?!
    Typically you would find him like most find any spiritual experience. Through observation, inquiry, introspection, meditation and personal experience.

Also,....from what I've found, christ very likely didn't even exist as a real person, let alone being the son of 'god'....:blunt:
    Really ? You have copies of the Roman census that was taken in Judea when Christ was supposedly born ? I'm sure that omission would be proof positive. You have the dockets that the Romans had at the time of Pontius Pilate and Jesus' trial never came up. I know DNA samples or lack thereof. Sorry Kerry but lack of empirical evidence doesn't prove it one way or the other.

Typically you would find him like most find any spiritual experience. Through observation, inquiry, introspection, meditation and personal experience.
    Leap of faith time again, right?

Really ? You have copies of the Roman census that was taken in Judea when Christ was supposedly born ?
    Read the book "There was no jesus, there is no god" Click Here!...he's done the research. Check it out! IF u dare!

I'm sure that omission would be proof positive. You have the dockets that the Romans had at the time of Pontius Pilate and Jesus' trial never came up. I know DNA samples or lack thereof. Sorry Kerry but lack of empirical evidence doesn't prove it one way or the other.
    Yep,, ...all that's needed for your 'proof' ...is a leap of faith...yep! good luck!...hope u picked the right one!
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Really ? You have copies of the Roman census that was taken in Judea when Christ was supposedly born ? I'm sure that omission would be proof positive. You have the dockets that the Romans had at the time of Pontius Pilate and Jesus' trial never came up. I know DNA samples or lack thereof. Sorry Kerry but lack of empirical evidence doesn't prove it one way or the other.
    Agree to a point. There is for instance no record of the census decreed or of the practice of returning to ones home to be counted as stated in the story. The Romans kept really good records. In fact the Romans freely traveled around the empire and it would have been down right stupid to order everyone to head on home to be counted. Commerce would have ground to a halt.

Leap of faith time again, right?
    Hardly just a leap of faith if one is talking about personal experience. Direct observation is pretty good evidence.

Read the book "There was no jesus, there is no god" Click Here!...he's done the research. Check it out! IF u dare!
    Right now I just don't dare to pay 99 cents for his thesis. Here is a pretty good rebuttal link though: http://christthetao.blogspot.com/201...god-worst.html

Yep,, ...all that's needed for your 'proof' ...is a leap of faith...yep! good luck!...hope u picked the right one!
    As mentioned in another thread awhile back. There is more documents about Jesus within 40 years of his supposed death then just about any other historical figure. Not irrefutable proof, but certainly scholarly in nature.

Hardly just a leap of faith if one is talking about personal experience. Direct observation is pretty good evidence.

Right now I just don't dare to pay 99 cents for his thesis. Here is a pretty good rebuttal link though: http://christthetao.blogspot.com/201...god-worst.html

As mentioned in another thread awhile back. There is more documents about Jesus within 40 years of his supposed death then just about any other historical figure. Not irrefutable proof, but certainly scholarly in nature.
    40 years huh?

~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

40 years huh?

I'm not sure what your point is other than make the point that Jesus like Nixon was probably a real person otherwise why would his supporters try to prop up someone who did'nt exist.

My 2 cents (and not really worth that much). I would bet that Jesus did exist and developed quite a following. But it appears his followers added a lot of fluff and used a lot of stories that are too similar to mythology existing at the time. Virgin birth, raising the dead, healing the sick, coming back from death, ascending etc.

All that said I'm glad you are here to add some reason. I wish Bibleman would have hung around too.

I'm not sure what your point is other than make the point that Jesus like Nixon was probably a real person otherwise why would his supporters try to prop up someone who did'nt exist.
    That's my point, IF he did exist, why'd his 'fans' wait forty+ years to start the rumors?! It doesn't make any sense...:blunt:
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard