+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checkfree.com

Checkfree.com

Don't do business with checkfree.com!!! They advertise that they guarantee that your payment will be there on time or they will reimburse you the late fee. Well, last month, September '05, my mortgage payment was late because of checkfree.com. I scheduled it a month in advance and it was five days late. My mortgage company assessed a late fee and checkfree.com refuses to reimburse me. It was their fault the payment was late and they won't reimburse me. I scheduled the payment on August 14 to be paid on September 15. Now I'm out $87.00 for the late fee assessed because if I don't pay it they will report it to the credit bureau and it will go on my credit report. There is no winning. Go back to the old way. Pay your bills by writing out a check yourself and snail mail them. DO NOT USE CHECK FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY DON'T STAND BY THEIR GUARANTEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Checkfree.com

Checkfree works ok for me, but I agree with you. Don't use it for important payments. Make those in person or mail them via certified mail way in advance.

When is your payment due? My mortgage is due on the 1st of each month, but the grace period lasts till the 10th. Most people I know also have their mortage with a due date of the 1st of the month. Did you schedule your payment to arrive by the due date, or the end of the grace period? If you are trying to blame some one else for what sounds like your problem, shame on you.

I've used this service for years with no problem so this surprises me. As for snail mail - nah - paid 3.85 for 2/3 day priority - mailed it on a Monday morning and it didn't arrive until the following SATURDAY??? I'll just keep using Checkfree that way I KNOW my payment will arrive on time.

I recently signed up for web bill pay service through my credit union (Navy Federal). Their webpay services are through Check Free. So far, I'm in love with the services. They also advised me not to use them for very important payments, like my tax payments. Instead I pay them online.

Does you mortgage company offer online payments? There are so many options out there, one should no longer have to mail a single bill.

Your issue with Check free seems isolated. So far, I'm very happy with the service they provide. Now if you want to talk about banking and finances then don't even get me started on Bank of America!

Not happy at all :mad:

I tried to use this service with very poor results. I started using it in June one payment was received then but July was not paid. Then I received a notice late July saying I had not paid my bill. Yet I have tracking number from checkfree showing my payments, now I owe for both months. So again I paid it immediately on July 27 2006 (expecting it to be paid with in the next business day) however I just received another notice saying that my power would be turned off for non payment. I usually pay my bills in advance with a paper check. I contacted the power company and asked if they had received my payment they have not. So I contacted checkfree they stated that it wouldn’t be paid until the due date on August 8 2006.

I am really ticked off and will be creating flyers and emails to warn my friends and others around here not to use this service ( IF you can call it that)

I will not trust them again let alone recommend them.. Shame Shame Shame

Snail mail is still the best. I tried automatic payments and and had nothing but trouble.

I shall consider myself lucky, beecause I've not had one problem with this service.

I'm sorry everyone esle has though. :(

My response is to ckingandi - this may not have been the cause of your experience, but it is something that you must watch for with Checkfree (I am happy with them by the way): when a bill is shown, the minimum payment due and the due date is displayed. If you fail to change the due date, that is the date on which your payment will be submitted. You must remember to change that date to the day you actually want the payment submitted. Optimally you are wise to schedule the payment to be applied a week or so before the actual due date. You do NOT have the payment applied UNTIL the date that you specify which, if you forget to change this date, defaults to the last possible day - never a good strategy with bills.

As for me, I trust this system for ALL of my bills because there's been more than once that billers have tried to say that they didn't get my mom's and grandma's payments and CheckFree cleared everything up. Although they say it is not "recommended" for use with taxes (use for that purpose is not banned), I used it to pay the IRS, and I actually had CheckFree call the IRS about a payment they said they didn't get. IRS basically said "oops, our mistake." I had similar issues with Florida Power & Light and Bank of America. I even use it to deposit money into my account at the lunch room at school (Champ's Cafe). Only problem I've ever had has been issues where checks come in late, and that's likely USPS's fault.

i have used checkfree to pay my electric bill every month, for years, without any problem. it has saved me lots of stamps, checks, and envelopes.