Robots To Run The World...?

http://www.russiato day.com/features /news/35070

December 21, 2008, 12:10

Robots ready to run the world

Researchers predict there will be a surge in the worldwide dependency
    of robots during the next decade.

The gap between humans and robots is forecast to become significantly
    smaller as researchers announced that human's social and physical
    reliance on robotic machines looks set to soar.

Whilst it has previously been considered it will take a long time for
    robots to match humans and human-controlled technology, it seems the
    moment is now imminent
    . As the International Federation of Robotics
    has stated, the next three years will see a phenomenal rise in the use
    of robots.

An intensive study into the possible achievements of robots has
    allowed scientists to surmise there will be an amalgamation between
    humans and robots.
    Antonio Lopez Palaez, co-author of the research and
    a Professor of Sociology at Spain's National Distance Learning
    University said,

"Just as we depend on mobile phones and cars in our daily lives, the
    next 15 years will see mass hybridization between humans and robots."
    It is believed the leisure and entertainment industries will benefit
    most from the "robotic revolution". Due to unification between robots,
    computers and home entertainment there is expected to be a dramatic
    increase in robots in entertainment by the year 2011.

But their abilities will not stop there. Using robots in a working
    capacity is not an entirely new practice and is forecast to be
    exploited. In the US robots are already being employed in logistics
    support by controlling unmanned vehicles. Whilst pilotless airplanes
    are being guided by robots, so confident are scientists of the
    potential of these machines, it has been suggested 40 per cent of the
    world's armies will be made up of robots by the year 2020
    . With the
    rapidly expanding costs of military equipment and qualified soldiers,
    an army of salary-free robots, will be an attractive alternative.

Robots have usually been associated with science fiction and are often
    portrayed as villainous. But in direct contrast, the Spanish research
    suggests people may become reliant on robots on a personal or even a
    romantic level. According to Palaez,

"A robot may be a more effective partner and a better person than the
    humans we actually have in our immediate lives. Just as you can see
    dog owners talking to their pets today, soon we will be talking to
    robots."

Armies of robots, robotic partners and workforces made up entirely of
    walking and talking machines, suggests the world may be heading
    towards a robotic revolution.
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

Re: Robots To Run The World...?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
    http://www.russiato day.com/features /news/35070

December 21, 2008, 12:10

Robots ready to run the world

Researchers predict there will be a surge in the worldwide dependency
    of robots during the next decade.

The gap between humans and robots is forecast to become significantly
    smaller as researchers announced that human's social and physical
    reliance on robotic machines looks set to soar.

Whilst it has previously been considered it will take a long time for
    robots to match humans and human-controlled technology, it seems the
    moment is now imminent
    . As the International Federation of Robotics
    has stated, the next three years will see a phenomenal rise in the use
    of robots.

An intensive study into the possible achievements of robots has
    allowed scientists to surmise there will be an amalgamation between
    humans and robots.
    Antonio Lopez Palaez, co-author of the research and
    a Professor of Sociology at Spain's National Distance Learning
    University said,

"Just as we depend on mobile phones and cars in our daily lives, the
    next 15 years will see mass hybridization between humans and robots."
    It is believed the leisure and entertainment industries will benefit
    most from the "robotic revolution". Due to unification between robots,
    computers and home entertainment there is expected to be a dramatic
    increase in robots in entertainment by the year 2011.

But their abilities will not stop there. Using robots in a working
    capacity is not an entirely new practice and is forecast to be
    exploited. In the US robots are already being employed in logistics
    support by controlling unmanned vehicles. Whilst pilotless airplanes
    are being guided by robots, so confident are scientists of the
    potential of these machines, it has been suggested 40 per cent of the
    world's armies will be made up of robots by the year 2020
    . With the
    rapidly expanding costs of military equipment and qualified soldiers,
    an army of salary-free robots, will be an attractive alternative.

Robots have usually been associated with science fiction and are often
    portrayed as villainous. But in direct contrast, the Spanish research
    suggests people may become reliant on robots on a personal or even a
    romantic level. According to Palaez,

"A robot may be a more effective partner and a better person than the
    humans we actually have in our immediate lives. Just as you can see
    dog owners talking to their pets today, soon we will be talking to
    robots."

Armies of robots, robotic partners and workforces made up entirely of
    walking and talking machines, suggests the world may be heading
    towards a robotic revolution.
    people may become reliant on robots on a personal or even a
    romantic level

So, i'll take 2 blonds, a brunette and a red head. Always did like a little variety

I think the article is right though, I can see societies heading that way.

The Japanese are esp interested in this field, but one day, I beleive that robots will be as commonplace in the home as the PC, and that robots will essentially engage in many of the duties usually done by man, during conflict.

I can see it going on from there, with robots even evetually being programmed to learn and to think outwith their original programming, just as we humans can do, when we resolve to think a different way to how we usually do.

I think the article is right though, I can see societies heading that way.

The Japanese are esp interested in this field, but one day, I beleive that robots will be as commonplace in the home as the PC, and that robots will essentially engage in many of the duties usually done by man, during conflict.

I can see it going on from there, with robots even evetually being programmed to learn and to think outwith their original programming, just as we humans can do, when we resolve to think a different way to how we usually do.
    Of course it is going to happen. Just look at commander Data from star trek. And not to mention that everything that has been seen on star trek is coming to be a reality one thing at a time. It probably wont be to long and we will have both a replicator and a holodeck in our homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Of course it is going to happen. Just look at commander Data from star trek. And not to mention that everything that has been seen on star trek is coming to be a reality one thing at a time. It probably wont be to long and we will have both a replicator and a holodeck in our homes.
    Believe it or not, there are examples out there of the military getting an idea for something new, the idea being inspired by what they have seen on a movie, or some such thing.

I guess they see the 'technology', think, 'hey, wouldn't something like that be great in real life', then deploy their best scientific team to make it possible.

There have been quite a few examples of this, I am led to believe.

Did the Terminator and the Matrix teach us nothing? Or eve the Planet of the Apes? You can't have servants without eventual rebelion! :judges::sun_smiley:

Quote Originally Posted by carolinahound View Post
    Did the Terminator and the Matrix teach us nothing? Or eve the Planet of the Apes? You can't have servants without eventual rebelion! :judges::sun_smiley:
    Lol.

Actually, when you think of it, cinema has done a lot to actually create a certain image inside the minds of people, as to what a certain thing may be like, even if the reality would be totally different.

I-robot, another film in which man's progress and genius is eventually portrayed in a negative manner, with renegade robots out of control.

The image of Frankensteins monster will always be something scary and dangerous, partly because the very ethos of it was that this was life, but created directly by man, therefore, make it seem a bit awry, because 'that is how any creation that is not that of god would be', maybe that is the thinking?

Aliens are usually portrayed in a similar negative light, in cinema. If they are not sucking on the faces of humans, they are trying to take over the world. Therefore, an image is cast in the minds of people, that any kind of alien visitation, should it ever happen en masse, should be treated as a threat.

How would an army of robots change war fare?

Would it make war more likely or less likely?

Would it remain about the same as it is now?

How about robots used around the house, to save us from menial chores? Sound good? But what if these robots were eventually given imagination and creativity? Would it then be immoral to enslave them, or would they remain bits of metal, and without legal rights?

Lol.

Actually, when you think of it, cinema has done a lot to actually create a certain image inside the minds of people, as to what a certain thing may be like, even if the reality would be totally different.

I-robot, another film in which man's progress and genius is eventually portrayed in a negative manner, with renegade robots out of control.

The image of Frankensteins monster will always be something scary and dangerous, partly because the very ethos of it was that this was life, but created directly by man, therefore, make it seem a bit awry, because 'that is how any creation that is not that of god would be', maybe that is the thinking?

Aliens are usually portrayed in a similar negative light, in cinema. If they are not sucking on the faces of humans, they are trying to take over the world. Therefore, an image is cast in the minds of people, that any kind of alien visitation, should it ever happen en masse, should be treated as a threat.

How about robots used around the house, to save us from menial chores? Sound good? But what if these robots were eventually given imagination and creativity? Would it then be immoral to enslave them, or would they remain bits of metal, and without legal rights?
    So, i'll still take 2 blonds, a brunette and a red head.

Lol.

That would be a court battle that would never end. In Fact the question has been visited in many movies and tv shows. I remember star trek having several stories that revolved around similar things. What defines life? Breathing? It thinks, therefore it is. But what deserves the same rights we give ourselves because we are humans that think, live, feel.. So do our pets and farm animals, the critters I love to hunt. They all live, breath and think, but enjoy so few of the same rights I do. Eventually the hunter becomes the hunted.

I don't think the machines would be the thing to worry about though. But people. As we've experienced with computers, all things programmable can be corrupted, no matter what prevention is put in place; if a a-hole so chooses and has the right knowledge and skill for little more reason than simple kicks. And along would come some nut with a grudge against humanity to spread a virus through the bots, and the killing and the war would begin.

I don't think the machines would be the thing to worry about though. But people. As we've experienced with computers, all things programmable can be corrupted, no matter what prevention is put in place; if a a-hole so chooses and has the right knowledge and skill for little more reason than simple kicks. And along would come some nut with a grudge against humanity to spread a virus through the bots, and the killing and the war would begin.
    True.

Corruption of systems is obviously a consideration, and those dedicated to doing so are often very adept at it, creating viruses and new nasties, all of the time.

That said, if we reject it on those grounds, then we must also reject the use of our PC, mobile phone and ATM cards, since all of them can be hacked and modified.

Of course, we go on using those things, because they are conveniant, and most of the time they are safe.

What we do is try to make their use as safe as possible, and I feel the same would be true of robots becoming more commonplace, we should not reject the idea, but look to minimise the chances of hacking, and the effects of it, as we do with fire walls on our PC, PIN numbers for our ATM cards, etc, we take precautions.

True.

Corruption of systems is obviously a consideration, and those dedicated to doing so are often very adept at it, creating viruses and new nasties, all of the time.

That said, if we reject it on those grounds, then we must also reject the use of our PC, mobile phone and ATM cards, since all of them can be hacked and modified.

Of course, we go on using those things, because they are conveniant, and most of the time they are safe.

What we do is try to make their use as safe as possible, and I feel the same would be true of robots becoming more commonplace, we should not reject the idea, but look to minimise the chances of hacking, and the effects of it, as we do with fire walls on our PC, PIN numbers for our ATM cards, etc, we take precautions.

ahh... but my PC can't walk into my room while I'm sleeping and lop off my head. Then again, it could encourge a family member to do so.

I don't think we should be fearful of new technologies, rather, we should embrace them, as much as possible.

It is never the technology itself that is good nor bad, it is how it is applied that matters.

In terms of having robots rather than humans in the military, the upside is that there would be no need to lose any more men and women through war, and that has to be a bonus.

However .... since we were using robots, there might be an even greater inclination to start more and more wars, knowing that the robots could be used, in almost inexhaustable number, without the usual human rights pressures. But civilian casualties could be greater, imo, as the robots could destroy more and take more risks..

I don't think we should be fearful of new technologies, rather, we should embrace them, as much as possible.

It is never the technology itself that is good nor bad, it is how it is applied that matters.

In terms of having robots rather than humans in the military, the upside is that there would be no need to lose any more men and women through war, and that has to be a bonus.

However .... since we were using robots, there might be an even greater inclination to start more and more wars, knowing that the robots could be used, in almost inexhaustable number, without the usual human rights pressures. But civilian casualties could be greater, imo, as the robots could destroy more and take more risks..
    I agree. I'm not sayin don't use them. I'm just stating the posibility of how they could be used as a weapon. But most everything around us can be used to kill if someone hs a motive to do so. Robots, guns, knives and other weapons don't kill, people do.

I agree. I'm not sayin don't use them. I'm just stating the posibility of how they could be used as a weapon. But most everything around us can be used to kill if someone hs a motive to do so. Robots, guns, knives and other weapons don't kill, people do.
    Imagine the possibilities with this technology.

Rescue services would be able to do more, as they could go into situations that mere man would never be able to.

Police officers, if they were also of this technology, would be able to do the job designated to them, without having to fear a literal loss of life, as human officers do.

Millions doing mind numbing or manual labour could be free of that, retrain in something more stimulating, and allow the robots to get on with the drudgery of their work.

Imo, the first nation to properly use robots in the platoon, as well as embrace their frequent use, will perhaps go on to be the next super power.

It is much the same with cloning and stem cell research.

There are many controversies around these sciences, right now.

Most of those that tend to object are religionists, who do not care to understand the science behind it, or it's possible benefits.

They have a bit of a fear that man will literally be able to create life, the way god claimed to be able to do, and that it is possible that man could create life more able (at least in some respects..) than ourselves.

Part of the reason why the US got so strong over the past few decades was the time and money it put into computers and the internet.

The nation that devotes most time and money to a robot project may well be the one that will be top dogs for the next century or more.

Imagine the possibilities with this technology.

Rescue services would be able to do more, as they could go into situations that mere man would never be able to.

Police officers, if they were also of this technology, would be able to do the job designated to them, without having to fear a literal loss of life, as human officers do.

Millions doing mind numbing or manual labour could be free of that, retrain in something more stimulating, and allow the robots to get on with the drudgery of their work.

Imo, the first nation to properly use robots in the platoon, as well as embrace their frequent use, will perhaps go on to be the next super power.

It is much the same with cloning and stem cell research.

There are many controversies around these sciences, right now.

Most of those that tend to object are religionists, who do not care to understand the science behind it, or it's possible benefits.

They have a bit of a fear that man will literally be able to create life, the way god claimed to be able to do, and that it is possible that man could create life more able (at least in some respects..) than ourselves.

Part of the reason why the US got so strong over the past few decades was the time and money it put into computers and the internet.

The nation that devotes most time and money to a robot project may well be the one that will be top dogs for the next century or more.
    A lot of people just picture humans being created for spare parts. They have in mind something like a person who's liver is failing do to alcoholism giving his or DNA to have a whole human made, just to be killed off when the liver is harvested. They seem to either not take the time to read or are just to bullheaded to realize that such instances only the liver would be cloned and created, not the whole person.

And then the stem cells. I look at it like this. The research of stem cells could save lives. There's been enough evidence of that to convince me it would. Hypothetically, a child dies. Had stem cell research been allowed, there would have been a cure for what she died from. But I voted not to allow it because I think it's immoral. To me that makes me in a round about way as guilty of murder as if I'd had the cure in my hand and refused to give it to the child. Which in itself is a sin. So, if a sin is going to be committed anyway, I'd rather go ahead and save the child's life in the process.

I know that scenario and way of thinking is way out there, but I'm a way out there kind of guy.

A lot of people just picture humans being created for spare parts. They have in mind something like a person who's liver is failing do to alcoholism giving his or DNA to have a whole human made, just to be killed off when the liver is harvested. They seem to either not take the time to read or are just to bullheaded to realize that such instances only the liver would be cloned and created, not the whole person.

And then the stem cells. I look at it like this. The research of stem cells could save lives. There's been enough evidence of that to convince me it would. Hypothetically, a child dies. Had stem cell research been allowed, there would have been a cure for what she died from. But I voted not to allow it because I think it's immoral. To me that makes me in a round about way as guilty of murder as if I'd had the cure in my hand and refused to give it to the child. Which in itself is a sin. So, if a sin is going to be committed anyway, I'd rather go ahead and save the child's life in the process.

I know that scenario and way of thinking is way out there, but I'm a way out there kind of guy.
    Well I guess that having the robots could be a good thing but enough of all of this drivel. Where can I place my order? I still wand a blond, a red head and a brunette. You know, a maid a cook and secretary. right