+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 39

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,923

    Amway isn't a pyramid - it's a close cousin

    In the comments section of this page, one person did an excellent job of describing why MLM isn't illegal per se, but is still a bad business model. He also addresses the inaccurate comparison of a ponzi/pyramid to a corporate business structure.

    http://strkngfang.hubpages.com/hub/T...nt-Fall-For-It

    @connex4u -- FTC sued Amway back then as a pyramid scheme and their lawyers reached a compromise, which became what's known today as the "Amway Rules" that establishes what's legal and what's not legal. It doesn't "prove" it's an ethical and solid way to make money, merely "not illegal if you do it right".
    There is no denying that MLM, by its very nature, is close cousin to a pyramid scheme. It's PRIMARY DIFFERENCE is the Amway Rule: 70% of sales must be to ultimate consumer (not in the company), and company can only pay on SALES, not on recruiting.
    Legitimacy has nothing to do with the "potential" of making more than your upline. Your upline is not your boss or your supervisor. He is merely your mentor and your recruiter. Thus comparison to traditional company's pyramid structure is a very bad example. Besides, sales people paid by commission very often earn more than their supervisors who don't make sales. This is NORMAL.
    While having a bad upline would make for an extremely experience, you are correct, at least in part, in stating that it doesn't make Amway a scam. However, it does make Amway "prone to scammers taking advantage of noobs", and that is a flaw inherent in the MLM system itself. And do you really pin that all on the "bad apples", or does the system itself share the blame?
    MLM's Mission Statement:

    "The primary product is opportunity. The strongest, most powerful motivational force today is false hope."

    "Almost everyone is not going to learn the skills and use them consistently over time, you would be better off joining Costco" -Dank111

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: Amway isn't a pyramid - it's a close cousin

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm126 View Post
    In the comments section of this page, one person did an excellent job of describing why MLM isn't illegal per se, but is still a bad business model. He also addresses the inaccurate comparison of a ponzi/pyramid to a corporate business structure.

    http://strkngfang.hubpages.com/hub/T...nt-Fall-For-It

    @connex4u -- FTC sued Amway back then as a pyramid scheme and their lawyers reached a compromise, which became what's known today as the "Amway Rules" that establishes what's legal and what's not legal. It doesn't "prove" it's an ethical and solid way to make money, merely "not illegal if you do it right".
    There is no denying that MLM, by its very nature, is close cousin to a pyramid scheme. It's PRIMARY DIFFERENCE is the Amway Rule: 70% of sales must be to ultimate consumer (not in the company), and company can only pay on SALES, not on recruiting.
    Legitimacy has nothing to do with the "potential" of making more than your upline. Your upline is not your boss or your supervisor. He is merely your mentor and your recruiter. Thus comparison to traditional company's pyramid structure is a very bad example. Besides, sales people paid by commission very often earn more than their supervisors who don't make sales. This is NORMAL.
    While having a bad upline would make for an extremely experience, you are correct, at least in part, in stating that it doesn't make Amway a scam. However, it does make Amway "prone to scammers taking advantage of noobs", and that is a flaw inherent in the MLM system itself. And do you really pin that all on the "bad apples", or does the system itself share the blame?

    Important differences: MLM is legal and ethical; pyramids are illegal and unethical. Being ''cousins'' is a figment of that person's imagination, and yours Boxy.
    Amway is perfectly legal and ethical. Are there people that do it illegally and unethically? Probably, just like in any business.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    63

    Re: Amway isn't a pyramid - it's a close cousin

    MLM being ethical is subjective. Keep posting drivel though.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    15,510

    Re: Amway isn't a pyramid - it's a close cousin

    Joecool44 doesn't have the power to edit people's posts on this forum, just to make that clear. He must be pulling your legs.:judges:

    PS, I will start deleting threads that aren't staying on topic. Go in the chat section and create new threads where you yell at each other. This section is sloppy now.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: Amway isn't a pyramid - it's a close cousin

    Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Joecool44 doesn't have the power to edit people's posts on this forum, just to make that clear. He must be pulling your legs.:judges:

    PS, I will start deleting threads that aren't staying on topic. Go in the chat section and create new threads where you yell at each other. This section is sloppy now.
    Good luck with that, I predict you'll be deleting every post! :yelcutelaughA:
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern, California
    Posts
    16,985

    Re: Amway isn't a pyramid - it's a close cousin

    So the OP's basis boils down to this...?

    It's PRIMARY DIFFERENCE is the Amway Rule: 70% of sales must be to ultimate consumer (not in the company)
    So his theory & premise is based on BS! That's not what the 70% rule even means!

    Click Here!

    More biased, poorly researched nonsense from BoxAlarm!:2gunsfiring_v1:
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: Amway isn't a pyramid - it's a close cousin

    Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    So the OP's basis boils down to this...?

    So his theory & premise is based on BS! That's not what the 70% rule even means!

    Click Here!

    More biased, poorly researched nonsense from BoxAlarm!:2gunsfiring_v1:
    Yep, most people get it wrong. In most companies it says something like this: 70% of products ordered must be sold, consumed or used in business building. That means IBO's can be the consumer of any products ordered or they can be given away as samples.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: Amway isn't a pyramid - it's a close cousin

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm126 View Post
    However, it does make Amway "prone to scammers taking advantage of noobs", and that is a flaw inherent in the MLM system itself. And do you really pin that all on the "bad apples", or does the system itself share the blame?[/I]
    Its not a flaw at all. People can be scammed in all manner of businesses. In fact, anywhere there's money, you'll find a scam of sorts.
    Yes, I do pin it on the ''bad apples''. MLM isn't a ''system''. Amway isn't a ''system''. MLM is a type of compensation plan; its a way of rewarding people who move products, that's all. Those people have the choice of doing it legitimately and ethically or they choose to scam people, the compensation plan, products and company will remain the same for all.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    21,440

    Re: Amway isn't a pyramid - it's a close cousin

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    Its not a flaw at all. People can be scammed in all manner of businesses. In fact, anywhere there's money, you'll find a scam of sorts.
    Yes, I do pin it on the ''bad apples''. MLM isn't a ''system''. Amway isn't a ''system''. MLM is a type of compensation plan; its a way of rewarding people who move products, that's all. Those people have the choice of doing it legitimately and ethically or they choose to scam people, the compensation plan, products and company will remain the same for all.
    Okay, so companies that use MLM as their comp plan are prone to a lot of bad apples using the MLM system to scam people. It's evidenced by all these common, non business folks discussing it on various forums.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: Amway isn't a pyramid - it's a close cousin

    Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    Okay, so companies that use MLM as their comp plan are prone to a lot of bad apples using the MLM system to scam people. It's evidenced by all these common, non business folks discussing it on various forums.
    Yes all few of them, compared with the large percentage actually involved in MLM and very satisfied. Millions of them.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    21,440

    Re: Amway isn't a pyramid - it's a close cousin

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    Yes all few of them, compared with the large percentage actually involved in MLM and very satisfied. Millions of them.
    Please link us to this enlightening data.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: Amway isn't a pyramid - it's a close cousin

    Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    Please link us to this enlightening data.
    OK

    76% of sellers have been with their company 1+ years.

    78% of sellers say direct selling meets or exceeds their expectations.

    82% of sellers report a good, very good or excellent experience with direct selling.

    74% of US adults have purchased products from a direct seller.

    15.9 million people in the U.S. are involved in direct selling.

    $31.63 billion in total US sales.

    $166.9 billion sales worldwide.

    ENJOY!
    http://www.directselling411.com/about-direct-selling/
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    21,440

    Re: Amway isn't a pyramid - it's a close cousin

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    OK

    76% of sellers have been with their company 1+ years.

    78% of sellers say direct selling meets or exceeds their expectations.

    82% of sellers report a good, very good or excellent experience with direct selling.

    74% of US adults have purchased products from a direct seller.

    15.9 million people in the U.S. are involved in direct selling.

    $31.63 billion in total US sales.

    $166.9 billion sales worldwide.

    ENJOY!
    http://www.directselling411.com/about-direct-selling/
    Of course your source isn't biased or anything/ :crazy1:

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern, California
    Posts
    16,985

    Re: Amway isn't a pyramid - it's a close cousin

    Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    Of course your source isn't biased or anything/ :crazy1:
    ANd neither are yours ever,??...riiiiight...
    Last edited by ohein56; 08-21-2014 at 03:03 PM.
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    21,440

    Re: Amway isn't a pyramid - it's a close cousin

    Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    ANd neither are yours never,??...riiiiight...
    Maybe they are. Take the Amway and Herbalife IDS for example.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: Amway isn't a pyramid - it's a close cousin

    Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    Of course your source isn't biased or anything/ :crazy1:
    And your ''sources''??

    Where would you expect to find stats on direct selling....in Golf International?

    If you believe they're lying, prove it.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2014, 01:40 PM
  2. The Amway Pyramid continues it's inevitable collapse
    By IBOFightBack in forum MLM Scams
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 05:01 PM
  3. Amway Sues Man For Selling Amway Products
    By Joecool44 in forum MLM Scams
    Replies: 204
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 07:41 PM
  4. Do Amway Reps Actually Sell Amway Products?
    By Joecool44 in forum MLM Scams
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 09:35 PM
  5. Long lost cousin, and $10.5 Million
    By chubbyman25 in forum Mail Order Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 06:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •