+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

Rabbits Chewing the Cud: and the morons who don't understand SCIENCE

Another easy explanation if the God-Haters were really interested. Of course, they'll just stumble over the truth, then pick themselves up and carry on as though nothing ever happened. I fully expect the resident idiots to keep using this as a "contradiction" even though a full explanation is given:

The Bible clearly states that rabbits chew their cud, but simple observation seems to show this isn’t true. Dr. Tommy Mitchell, AiG-U.S., explains this apparent contradiction.
    The “Problem”

One of the most often cited “contradictions” in the Bible involves the lowly rabbit.1 Does the Bible actually indicate that rabbits “chew the cud”? And if this is what Scripture says, then isn’t it in error?
    Two places in the Bible include the hare among animals that chew the cud.
    Among the animals, whatever divides the hoof, having cloven hooves and chewing the cud—that you may eat. Nevertheless these you shall not eat among those that chew the cud or those that have cloven hooves: the camel, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you; the rock hyrax, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you; the hare, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you. (Leviticus 11:3–6)
    Nevertheless, of those that chew the cud or have cloven hooves, you shall not eat, such as these: the camel, the hare, and the rock hyrax; for they chew the cud but do not have cloven hooves; they are unclean for you. (Deuteronomy 14:7)
    In the modern scientific classification system, animals that chew the cud are called ruminants. Cattle, sheep, deer, giraffes, and camels2 are ruminants. Ruminants have four stomach compartments. They swallow their food into one stomach compartment where food is partially digested. Then the food is regurgitated back into the mouth, chewed again, and then swallowed into a different stomach compartment. This process is called rumination.
    So is the Bible wrong? After all, rabbits are not ruminants.3 They do not have four-compartment stomachs. How can they “chew the cud”?
    The Solution

Obviously, rabbits do not share the digestive anatomy of modern ruminants. However, to describe rabbits chewing the cud is not incorrect. Simply stated, it is not reasonable to accuse a 3500-year-old document of error because it does not adhere to a modern man-made classification system.
    Consider what rabbits do. They engage in an activity called cecotrophy. Rabbits normally produce two kinds of feces, the more common hard feces as well as softer fecal pellets called cecotropes. Cecotropes are small pellets of partially digested food that are passed through the animal but are then reingested. As part of the normal digestive process, some partially digested food is concentrated in the cecum where it undergoes a degree of fermentation to form these cecotropes. They are then covered in mucin and passed through the anus. The rabbit ingests the cecotropes, which serve as a very important source of nutrition for the animal.
    Is this the same as cud? In the final analysis, it is. Cud-chewing completes the digestion of partially digested food. Why would it be strange to think that centuries ago, the idea of “cud” had a somewhat broader meaning than a modern definition.
    But does the rabbit actually chew the cud? The Hebrew word translated “chew” is the word ‘alah. With any attempt to translate one language to another, it is understood that there is often more than one meaning for a given word. A cursory glace at any Hebrew lexicon reveals that ‘alah can mean go up, ascend, climb, go up into, out of a place, depart, rise up, cause to ascend, bring up from, among others. Here it carries the implication of moving something from one place to another. So the phrase translated to English as “chew the cud” literally means something on the order of “eats that which is brought forth again.”
    Also, most reference material on rabbit digestion says that the cecotrope pellet is swallowed whole and found intact in the rabbit stomach. However, experts have observed that rabbits keep the cecotrophe in the mouth for a time before swallowing.4 So even though the mucin membrane covering the cecotrope is not broken, the rabbit is able to knead it in its mouth before swallowing, possibly to enhance the process of redigestion.
    Conclusion

So is the Bible in error here? No it is not. Rabbits re-ingest partially digested foods, as do modern ruminants. They just do so without the aid of multiple stomach compartments.

https://answersingenesis.org/contrad...-chew-the-cud/
    Last edited by conserv4ever; 07-26-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Re: Rabbits Chewing the Cud: and the morons who don't understand SCIENCE

HOLY CRAP BATMAN........i NOW have a TOTALLY NEW RESPECT for rabbits........although i wonder how this conflicts with the well known saying............EAT SHIT AND DIE!? and another question arises do RABBITS have MULTIPLE LIVES like CATS!? :angel: :chicken: : :smurf:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

They can't refute it. so they're "dumbfounded" (found to be dumb)

Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    Refute what?
    You started a thread about rabbit cud.

So, does this mean you're going to lay down that 'cut n paste' club you've been waving around here lately?

Or, did you take a hypocritical oath...?

Hope so...

More on cud chewing later...rofl
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

I fully expect the resident idiots to keep using this as a "contradiction" even though a full explanation is given:
    Just out of curiosity:

Which "resident idiots" have used this as a "contradiction"? And when?

Quote Originally Posted by Spector567 View Post
    Refute what?
    You started a thread about rabbit cud.
    The funny part is he used science in the title. That's a laugh

Even funnier than you using the word "science" is a guy that lets a 2,000 year old book of mythology written by sheep herders tell him what he can and can't eat, calling anyone else dumb.

And before you bother I never talked about rabbit cuds.

Rabbits are not ruminants. Bible apologists try to make it sound like rabbits chew cud or that chew does not mean chew and cud does not mean cud.

Rabbits do not chew cud. What rabbits do is they swallow (not chew) their own partially digested feces (not cud). In order to fully digest their food, it passes through their system twice. But they do not regurgitate it and they do not re-chew it, they just swallow it the second time.

Rabbits excrete two types of pellets: hard and soft. The hard pellets are not re-ingested, the soft pellets are.

Rabbits are herbivores that feed by grazing on grass, forbs, and leafy weeds. In consequence, their diet contains large amounts of cellulose, which is hard to digest. Rabbits solve this problem by passing two distinct types of feces: hard droppings and soft black viscous pellets, the latter of which are immediately eaten. Rabbits re-ingest their own droppings (rather than chewing the cud as do cows and many other herbivores) to digest their food further and extract sufficient nutrients. [Wikipedia Rabbit, Jan 26, 2012, emphasis mine].

Note that the re-ingested pellets are NOT chewed by the rabbit, but are eaten whole.

These pellets remain intact for up to six hours in the stomach; the bacteria within continue to digest the plant carbohydrates. The soft feces form here and contain up to five times the vitamins of hard feces. After being excreted, they are eaten whole by the rabbit and re-digested in a special part of the stomach. This double-digestion process enables rabbits to use nutrients that they may have missed during the first passage through the gut, as well as the nutrients formed by the microbial activity and thus ensures that maximum nutrition is derived from the food they eat. This process serves the same purpose within the rabbit as rumination does in cattle and sheep. [Wikipedia Rabbit, Jan 26, 2012, emphasis mine].

Click Here!
    Nice try...keep the faith...don't stop tithing now though...:judges:
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Kelderek View Post
    Just out of curiosity:

Which "resident idiots" have used this as a "contradiction"? And when?
    Most likely some brown person, maybe even Obama himself.

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    Nice try...keep the faith...don't stop tithing now though...:judges:
    Try this, read his posts aloud. Makes them even funnier.

Here's a true miracle...

Do you think christians will be coming from the four corners of the flat earth to praise this 'miracle'?

I don't think so...:rasta:
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Well... for what it's worth...
    As I was taught about this...
    Aren't the first 5 books of the Bible known as the Pentateuch or the books of the law? Which, BTW, is meant to apply to the Nation of Israel? Which, BTW, if you're a Christian you do not have to adhere to because Christ fulfilled the law... freeing you from it.
    Therefore, If you're Christian... feel free to sit down with Elmer and a heaping bowl of Wabbit Stew... If you wish to adhere to Mosaic Law (according to the OP) sorry about your luck... no Wabbit Stew for You! If you don't believe in either... I'm sure we can round-up another bowl! :D

Personally... I believe a more reliable source for interpreting the first 5 books of the Bible would be a well qualified Rabbi and not a Christian... ANY Christian.
    Last edited by PaulM; 07-28-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    Aren't the first 5 books of the Bible known as the Pentateuch or the books of the law? Which, BTW, is meant to apply to the Nation of Israel? Which, BTW, if you're a Christian you do not have to adhere to because Christ fulfilled the law... freeing you from it.
    Therefore, If you're Christian... feel free to sit down with Elmer and a heaping bowl of Wabbit Stew... If you wish to adhere to Mosaic Law (according to the OP) sorry about your luck... no Wabbit Stew for You! If you don't believe in either... I'm sure we can round-up another bowl! :D

Personally... I believe a more reliable source for interpreting the first 5 books of the Bible would be a well qualified Rabbi and not a Christian... ANY Christian.
    ON another NOTE you know what REALLY freaks me about RABBITS!? the way they SCREAM when you HARM them!? i dont know if they do it any other time i think not else i might have awoken many times to such a CROW if it was a COMMON thang!? :errr: :judges: :spin2: :chicken:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post

Not sure how a rabbi would be a reliable source for interpreting the pentateuch?

How is it that you think a tried n true 'believer' is a reliable source for an OBJECTIVE viewpoint...?!
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Not sure how a rabbi would be a reliable source for interpreting the pentateuch?
    They're their books... not the Christians. Therefore, they would be better qualified.

How is it that you think a tried n true 'believer' is a reliable source for an OBJECTIVE viewpoint...?!
    A rabbi would be a better source than some 'true believer' that simply hijacked the books as theirs.
    ---------------------

Whether you accept it or not the Pentateuch are the books of Jewish Law. Your best sources would, of necessity, have to be rabbis... not Christians.

Of course, you're free to seek interpretation from sources of your choice.

Last edited by PaulM; 07-29-2014 at 06:26 PM.