+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Science

Re: Science

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    Keep spinning your delusional yarns jokey...:blunt:

Yep, and you cherry-pick like most other christian apologists do apparently.
    Sure you do,,,uh-huh...riiiight...

So how does that prove anything re:the 'virgin' mary's fable?? Are you really implying that god used invitro fertilization?! God also claims that rabbits chew their cud (they do NOT!). He's sorely lacking in the biology department with regards to animals...how did he put together in-vitro fertilization?!

Sorry, your virgin birth bible story is plain myth, fantasy & pure BS...

Based on what, the bible?? Sure.....

Cognitive dissonance??? + confirmation bias?...yep!

Keep the faith!:crazy1:
    Come back when you're not trolling and maybe we'll talk.
    Originally Posted by nomaxim
    Sorry there ''ohein56', but it appears that 'Joecool44' does not have the position that you envision on this topic.

'Joecool44' has, as a matter of routine, refuted most of your accusations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax74 View Post
    Some people have the ability to think critically, some do not. ohein obviously doesn't.

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by Spector567 View Post
    But JoeCool I do believe in God. I have said this several times to you. I am a christian. I certainly hope you are not one of those christians who only thinks that people who agree with him can be christian.
    Tell me about your faith that makes you say "I am a Christian"

I am more than capable of disagreeing with your cherry picking of information, lying about what people have actually said and your willful ignorance of the world around you without being an atheist
    What information in the Bible do you REJECT? What major parts do you, as a Christian, accept?
    Last edited by conserv4ever; 07-26-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post

What information in the Bible do you REJECT? What major parts do you, as a Christian, accept?
    WHO are you to be ASKING such a QUESTION!? did YOU raise anybody from the DEAD lately (living or not) :errr: :chicken: :crazy1: :angel:
    Last edited by lexx; 07-26-2014 at 09:38 PM.
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

OK what about i could accept the statement he who tries to decide between good and EVIL (for others!?) shall surely DIE!? (GENISIS!?) but thats the WAY it always seems to GO!? i QUIT drinking so ALL drunks are abominable AHOL's!?...................... .......i KNOW that's RIGHT!? :judges: :bah: :crazy1:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    Thank you. I'm glad that's cleared up. And I do not dislike atheists. I just do not agree with their position on God's existence.

My apologies for that.

I don't believe in a literal Bible for the reasons I stated above and because things said back in those days may mean something different today. For example, I don't believe the world was created in 7 -24 hour days. The Bible says days but I'm not sure God measures time as we do. Sometimes we refer to the good old "days" meaning a bygone era. For that reason also, I'm not sure that Isaac's mother Sarah was 99 years old when she gave birth in the way we measure years today. Maybe God made it possible, but perhaps "years" in those days were measured differently as we pretty much know that lifespans today are greater than in 1915 for example.
    I believe many Bible stories are metaphorical. (But I'm not going identify each passage that I consider as such)

I read the Bible daily as well. I don't claim to know everything or to be better than anyone. I try to find a middle ground where the Bible and science can meet in the middle. Thus for example, I said the virgin birth has been proven possible by the advent of in vitro fertilization. BTW, I for the most part believe the big bang theory, except that I believe that God set the big bang in motion. Can I prove it? I can't. I just believe that.
    Thank you for clearing everything up.

As to the bible.
    while it is true certain sayings and locations had meanings that most people do not understand.

for instance the term 40 days and 40 nights was a saying meaning a long period of time.

However, when such assumptions are made that should be done with a certain level of consistency that make sense with the rest of the story. Or else it comes out and inconsistent mess.

Also at what point do you stop? and at what point does it become a completely different story and we must recognize the fact that while it's possible that there is a small kernel of truth to some portion of the events it does not mean that the rest of the parts are necessarily accurate.

for instance for the Noah story

We know over 10,000 years ago there was a flash flood of epic proportions in the area surrounding the Mediterranean Sea.

While the Noah Story states
    -that the waters covered the entire earth (not accurate)
    -That all of mankind was destroyed (not accurate)
    -That all animals were destroyed save those on the ark (not accurate)
    - Biblical scholars say it happened about 4,000 years ago (not accurate)
    -That all of mankind or if you twist it the people from a certain area all descended from a single family (also not accurate)
    - That black people are black and doomed to be servants due to the curse of Ham..... (also not accurate)

At some point we must recognize that if we change the Noah account to consider all of the above that it ceases to become the Noah account at all but rather a completely different narrative.

Also if you twist the account too much than it ends up looking dishonest. This is of course unintentional but would you trust a witness who keeps changing his story each time new evidence is presented?

With respect conserve what makes you say that you are christian? do you often go around questioning peoples faith?

My beliefs are well in line with over a thousand different sects of Christianity something I have told you and shown you many times.

Why can't you accept the fact that there are other sects of Christianity? or do you not consider them "christian" enough for you?

Not everyone who disagrees with you is an atheist.... If they were than the US would be an atheist majority country.

I believe that the bible was written by man, and that he tried to best describe the needs and wants of god, in his own fallible way.

Stories passed down through oral history are particularly prone to error as they were passed down generation to generation in mans attempt to describe the world around them.

I think when in doubt the best course of action is to ask. "what would Jesus do". What do the gospels of Jesus Christ teach and tell us how to go about our every day lives.

The bible is not a history or science book but that doesn't mean we can't learn something from it.
    Last edited by Spector567; 07-27-2014 at 07:46 AM.