+ Reply to Thread

Sports Autograph Scams

There was an article about the counterfeit fake sports icon autographs on Ebay. The scam is that at least 35% of all sports autographs are FAKE. Even when they give you a 'certificate' (which can be printed easily fake).

Sports has taken on a life of its own in our society, and those in the spotlight for them are in our awe. The status of these sports players makes the celebrities by their own rights. Some people have a certain team that they love or particular players on that team. Regardless, they want to get autographs from the players that they can cherish. Depending on the sport this may be possible after the game.

There are many different forms that sports autographs can be found on. Generally the uniforms they wear to play their game are the most wanted. This can be bats, balls, helmets, and jerseys. People love to have the actual items that were worn for practice sessions and the games.

Due to their popularity, many sports players offer their autographs as part of charity events. They have no problem signing particular items that will be sold to raise money. It is very interesting to discover how much these autographed items go for. If you are lucky enough to see a particular player out there in public from time to time you may be able to get their autograph without any charge.

Many of us dont readily identify sports players locally though. For example you may only live a few hours from where a professional football or baseball team lives. You may not be able to recognize these guys when they are out shopping or they are enjoying a meal. In that regard, they get some privacy that other types of celebrities just dont get.

It is hard to tell which sports players will end up with their autographs being worth money or not. Sadly, Shawn Taylor who was shot at home earlier in the NFL season didnt make it. His autographed items are selling out there for a fortune right now as people know there wont be anymore of it offered.

The cost of sports autographs varies depending on their demand. For rookies, they arent quite selling. If you can get your hands on some rookie autographs though before they become so well recognized you will save yourself a great deal of money. It is all a guessing game though so your choices should be based on who you really like.

Re: Sports Autograph Scams

Thanks for posting up that information on a scam.

Making a scammer's scam googlable on every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post containing the name the scammer is using, his email address, phone number and the emails themselves and then that potential victim does not become a scam victim because you took the time "get the word out".
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Re: Sports Autograph Scams

Sigh...my Mom used to get 8x10 glossy photos of my, and my sister's favorite sports stars and fake a nice personal note and autograph. I dug them up while organizing and asked my Dad about them, but he told me they were just a joke, when I researched the autographs I realized this. Man, my Mom was talented, I still have them to this day as keepsakes.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    -Hunter S. Thompson