+ Reply to Thread

Am i going to jail over a Work at Home scam?

It was an work from home job and all i had to do was follow his instructions for $300 a week. I think he was using a fake name that is Keith Grant in his emails. it started last week around Tuesday. i gave him my bank account information like a idiot and then he sent $2,300 in my account. on the first day i withdraw $100 from my bank that was cleared and then use moneygram to a name he gave me that was Emmanuel O Adepegbra in Nigeria. i didn't think much about it that day. next day when all the money was cleared as so i thought i followed his instructions again and wired another person name Teresa Mowers in Michigan about $1,900 by using western union and keep the rest of it. every thing was fine until last Wednesday i check my balance and found out that the bank return the check. i told him what happen he said i was a maintenance thing at the bank then i call the bank and they told me that the check was returned because it not real. he got mad that i call the bank and i stop the last transfer of $100. He said he was going to report me because i stop the transfer and i said i that i am quitting. I had to change my email and phone number. It was too late for to get $1900 back. I report him to The Federal Trade Commission, IC3, the police, and other scam sites. I don't know what i was thinking i just got caught up in finally making my owe money.
    Last edited by BrittMJ; 06-16-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Re: Am i going to jail over a Work at Home scam?

The scammer that stole your money is not going to report you to the police, he is a criminal and he knows it. However, you could have your bank account closed and be "black listed" by other banks if you fail to pay back the bank the money you sent to that scammer.

Sorry to read that you lost money to a scammer running a scam but happy that you found this site to post your story.

Anyone that says they can help you get your money back is the EXACT same scammer, trying to steal more of your money.

Thanks for posting up that information on a scam.

Making a scammer's scam googlable on every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post containing the name the scammer is using, his email address, phone number and the emails themselves and then that potential victim does not become a scam victim because you took the time "get the word out".

Wasting a scammer's time legally and safely is called "scambaiting". If you google that word, you will find sites where you can read scambaits, post up the emails and email addresses of scammers, post up a fake website, read up on how to alert a hosting company that they are hosting a fake website, ask questions and learn all about the hobby of scambaiting.

Since that scammer intended to steal your money, he did not give you his real life information. All you have is one of his fake names, one of his free email addresses, one of his fake stories and one of his paid-for-in-cash cell phone numbers. None of that information is going to help your local law enforcement agency track down that anonymous scammer sitting in a cyber cafe half way around the world from you.

For future reference, Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

you may want to go to http://www.419eater.com and see if the people there can help:king22:

Quote Originally Posted by knightmare3000 View Post
    you may want to go to http://www.419eater.com and see if the people there can help:king22:
    Never attempt to scambait if the scammer has your real life information.
    :2gunsfiring_v1:419:judges: