+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Beautiful commentary on Bergdahl

The Opinionated Bitch – The Swiftboating of An American Prisoner of War
    06/03/14
    Carol Baker

In 2004, Secretary of State John Kerry was a candidate for President of the United States. A group calling themselves Swift Vets and POWs for Truth waged a now discredited vicious campaign against then candidate Kerry to attack his military and service record in Viet Nam. The group claimed John Kerry inflated his role in the military and was a traitor to his country for his anti-war activities upon returning home. These were particularly personal attacks upon his character and after Kerry lost the presidency, it turns out none of those things for which he was accused were true. In spite of the fact that the group has been resoundingly discredited for their outright lies, the falsehoods they told remain deep in the psyche of the rabid Right Wingnuts as ‘fact’. To wit; the term ‘swiftboating’ has come to mean an untrue or unfair political attack or smear campaign.

And that’s precisely what’s happening to Bowe Bergdahl, the last American POW to be rescued from Afghanistan after 5 long years in captivity – the Swiftboating of Bowe Bergdahl has begun in earnest.

The scorching hypocrisy of the Right Wing pundits can be felt across the globe. We don’t have to like these facts, but rewriting history because of the hatred toward President Obama doesn’t fly. The Right will continue to be in full Hair On Fire Mode for matters of convenience, never based on fact and you can bet responsibility for the next American taken anywhere in the world will be blamed on President Obama, despite the fact our country has a long history of negotiating with terrorists. And let’s not forget the Geneva Convention. Section 11, Article 118 states all prisoners must be released and repatriated at the cessation of war. Given that the war will be officially over in a matter of months, it was merely a matter of a short time before they would have to be released anyway. The war is effectively over, so suck it up, Buttercup.

If we’re going to have a moral debate on whether or not we ever leave a soldier behind, by all means, let’s have it now and let’s have it long and loud. Let’s assure anyone signing the contract to serve our country that if they’re taken prisoner, according to Fox News, you should be tried in the court of public opinion first and if you’re not deemed worthy of saving, prepare to spend the last day of your life in the hands of your captors as a prisoner of war. Let’s see how many people are willing to sign on the dotted line given that little salvo the next time this country is lied to about weapons of mass destruction being in a country that had nothing whatsoever to do with the 9/11 attacks.

I am in no position to know what happened with this soldier and frankly, neither is anyone else. It’s time for the disgusting speculation on the part of the press to end immediately too. Michael Hastings was a real journalist who did his job. The beltway media and cable news are merely parroting press releases delivered from the GOP public relations firm.

This is America. We do not under any circumstances leave a soldier behind on the battlefield. If Bowe Bergdahl did something wrong, it’s up to a military tribunal to determine the facts and adjudicate the case. Not me. Not you. Certainly not Fox News.

We’re Americans. It’s time to start acting like it.

http://herewomentalk.com/the-opinion...risoner-of-war
    Last edited by Administrator; 06-05-2014 at 09:15 PM.

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

Re: Beautiful commentary on Bergdahl

"Swift boating" = His peeps closest to him provide the FACTS the administration/Scam Spokesweasel/MSM wans to keep quiet

ya mean the 'facts' via Fox Newsless?

let's FACE it CAVUTO is getting to FAT and LAZY over there in the PROMISED LAND!? what's HIS teflon EXCUSE!? i mean DONT teflon PREVENT calories!? :bah: :chicken: :crazy1: :
    Last edited by lexx; 06-05-2014 at 09:31 PM.
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    "Swift boating" = His peeps closest to him provide the FACTS the administration/Scam Spokesweasel/MSM wans to keep quiet
    are YOU suggesting there IS nothing /SOMETHING that should NOT be KEPT quiet!? like the GOOD NEWS!? can WE look over your POSTS and GLEAN any GOOD NEWS!? and maybe you COULD define what the GOOD NEWS is for us IGNORANT LIBS!? as he ascended he gave GIFTS TO MEN!? alright we can SEE here the WOMERN are ALREADY in SECOND PLACE!? i mean WHY should a WOMAN have to TAKE A JOB!? wanna PIPE in on THAT biblical REALITY while your POSING over here!? and on another note, why is my MILK not CURDLING in the POT do i have to add RENNET or something!? i made cheese ACCIDENTLY 1nce but DAMN if i try to do it on PURPOSE!? is that a CLUE to LIFE's SECRET meaning!? just THOUGHT i'd AXXE in case you have a CLUE!? MR. ALL KNOWING!? :errr: :bah: :yelcutelaughA: :
    Last edited by lexx; 06-05-2014 at 09:55 PM.
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by rodney walker II View Post
    ya mean the 'facts' via Fox Newsless?
    The facts via those who lived, ate and slept with him.Those in whom he confided his deep hatred for America.

his deep hatred for America:

no that would be someone who used 5 Deferments to get out of combat ... say like Dick Cheney

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/bow...trymen-n123846

The Taliban found Pfc. Bowe Bergdahl walking alone, acting abnormally and cursing his countrymen before they captured him in Afghanistan in 2009, two men who were Taliban commanders at the time told NBC News on Thursday.
    They said that Afghan locals first informed fighters about the soldier, and then the fighters rushed to capture him.

“Our people at the time couldn’t understand his language, but it was after he was shifted to a safe location, he said he wasn’t happy with his countrymen, but he didn’t intend to convert to Islam or join mujahideen (holy warriors),” one of the commanders said.
    The commanders said that Taliban officers first thought it was a trick — perhaps an American soldier sent out alone to spy on the enemy.
    “As we never saw their soldier patrolling alone … we would ask him how he managed to walk out of his base,” one of the commanders said. “He would tell us that it was personal issue.”

Anger over prisoner exchange grows in Congress

TODAY

The descriptions filled in some of the details about the capture of Bergdahl, who was held by the Taliban for five years before he was released to U.S. forces. In exchange, five Taliban operatives were freed from the American prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
    One of the two commanders quit the Taliban fighting U.S. forces in 2010. He joined another faction that is working to find a negotiated political solution to the Afghan conflict. He is now living in the United Arab Emirates.

The second of the two commanders is based in Helmand province in Afghanistan.
    The commander who left in 2010 said that, at least through that time, Bergdahl did not convert to Islam.
    “Think he had deserted his army with a mission and wanted to accept Islam, but our people didn’t trust him. That shattered his belief,” he said.
    In the initial hours after Bergdahl was reported missing, on June 30, 2009, the United States mounted a furious search operation to find him. It included armed drones, teams of dogs, raids on suspected enemy hideouts and F-15 fighter jets for air cover.
    The Taliban officials would not say where they took Bergdahl immediately after the capture, only that it was a safe location.
    Later, according to Taliban sources, he was taken to the South Waziristan region of Pakistan. Later he was shifted to the forested, mountainous area of Shawal Valley, also in Pakistan.
    Bergdahl was returned to American forces over the weekend and is recovering at an American military hospital in Germany. He was promoted twice in captivity and holds the rank of sergeant.

The trade for the five Taliban at Guantanamo has drawn outrage, primarily from Republicans. Former members of Bergdahl’s platoon have described him as a deserter who walked away from his outpost.
    In addition, members of Congress have faulted the Obama administration — even suggesting that it broke the law — for failing to notify Congress before it executed the trade.
    The administration has argued that it had to move quickly because Bergdahl’s health was deteriorating quickly.

I swear by my life and my love for it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for me.
    John Galt

Prisoner exchange .... hmmm

ya mean like Nixon trading POW's for McCain?

Obama let the kid die YOU CAN GUARANTEE SNAPPERLESS WOULD BE SCREAMING

LOL ... according to Taliban sources

Snapper's good buddies are now a "source"

LOL ... according to Taliban sources

Snapper's good buddies are now a "source"

Barack Obama’s best case yet for his own ineptitude comes in the form of the White House’s attempt to dig itself out of the deepening hole of the Bergdahl swap. This has become the public relations equivalent of a field latrine.
    As most of you know, Bergdahl’s fellow soldiers, with whom he was serving when he deserted, have come out fighting against the White House propaganda campaign to make a hero out of a despicable defector and enemy collaborator. In none of the interviews I’ve watched has a single one of those paratroopers followed the administration’s line that Bergdahl served with honor and distinction. Rather, they courageously deny it, to a man, in spite of the fact that many of them were required to sign non-disclosure agreements by their superiors.
    According to a usually supportive mainstream media source, Obama’s unicorn cavalry expected to ride their horned steeds in a ticker-tape parade led by their returned hero, the only POW of the Afghan War, himself marching at the head of the Rainbow Ranger Band. It just so fits the liberal image of how war should be – so deliciously Hollywood and Busby Berkeley.
    As NBC’s Chuck Todd put it, the Obama administration were “caught off guard” when the Bergdahl swap turned out to be not dazzling fireworks, but more of a rolling live grenade. Perhaps if that bunch of buffoons had bothered to do a simple Google search prior to launch, they could have foreseen that Bergdahl’s release might be problematic; there were investigations in 2010 that showed that their honorable soldier was most likely a deserter in time of war, a violation of Article 85 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice that carries with it the possibility of capital punishment.
    Now, with even some of their most loyal media lapdogs nipping at their heels, the Democrats are resorting to an old tactic that is truly despicable: attacking the honorable warriors who served with the Dems’ dishonorable deserter. John Nolte at Breitbart.com reports that Chuck Todd is saying that the White House staffers are now referring to the brave men who served with Bergdahl and are coming forward to expose the Democrat lies as “swift-boaters.”
    Democrats have never accepted that they almost elected a dishonorable traitor to the White House until John Kerry’s fellow sailors came forward and exposed Jean Fraud as just that: a fraud and military poseur who had inflated his résumé and who, to this day, has never released his military records. In the military community, it is widely believed that he cannot release these records because they will show that he received a less than honorable discharge from the Navy for his unauthorized treating with the enemy at the Paris Peace Talks as a still-serving Naval Reserve officer. It’s rumored that that discharge was later changed to honorable during the opening months of the Carter administration, when “Jimma” was busy pardoning every draft-dodger on the planet.
    Those who saved the country from electing Kerry were the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, a group of warriors I was proud to support with my writings throughout the 2004 campaign. The Democratic Party and their lapdog media attacked these brave veterans mercilessly, with every form of lie and smear, but it did them no good; the public could see who looked into the cameras without guile and spoke honestly of their Vietnam experiences. The records-hiding Kerry looked like the deer in the headlights, and he lost, although not by as much as he should have due to the media’s smearing of the Swiftees.
    The Democrats have never forgotten or forgiven. In their political lexicon, swift-boating is a pejorative, but as Nolte points out, “[w]hat ‘swift boating’ really means to Democrats is the use of facts against their phony narratives.” I would add to that “honest warriors exposing Democrat politicians guilty of stolen valor.”
    It would be helpful if some Army officers who were in the command structure of the 501st Airborne Infantry at the time Bergdahl deserted came forward and supported their men, as Navy admirals did for the Swiftees. Of that, however, I am not hopeful, considering the lack of courage in today’s senior officer corps. Should the long-ago lieutenant-colonel who was battalion commander at that time read this, this old trooper would plead with him to remember the motto of the Airborne – “All the Way!” – and let his courage match that of his men.
    So here we are, ten years later, dealing with an altogether different war, and once again, when American warriors speak truth to Democrat lies, they are viciously attacked. One has to wonder if, should the Gold Star Mothers who lost their sons, men killed while searching for Bergdahl, start speaking up against the administration’s spin, they will be dismissed for swift-boating poor Bowe. They’ll probably have to recall Hillary to active duty to do something that cold.
    It remains to be seen if the media will be so easily led this time around. Surely, even some in the liberal media will hold their noses at this dishonorable discharge flowing from the White House and not let Democrats, desperate to defend their darling deserter, get away with scapegoating soldiers who did in fact serve with honor and distinction.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/bow...l-says-n124271
    I swear by my life and my love for it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for me.
    John Galt

Moving DKos post. Bergdahl witnessed killing of child in 2009. It was covered up.

Bowe Bergdahl: "We Don't Even Care... About Running Their Children Down in the Dirt Streets"

Bowe Bergdahl witnessed a careless manslaughter in 2009. The killing of a child.

And then that killing was covered up by the officers in his Army unit: no report to Army Inspector General, no unit prosecution, no detention or reduction in pay grade, no punishment whatsoever for the MRAP driver who crushed the child.

..Bowe Bergdahl was raised as a devout Christian, a Calvinist, a follower of Jesus Christ, Son of God, Son of Mary, Lord of Lords, Messiah, Wonderful. As a Christian he refused to accept hateful delusions.

His last email to his parents made clear that his U.S. Army unit suffered a failure of leadership. This failure extended to support for an aggressive hatred of the local Afghan people.

It might as well have been Water Street in Manhattan in January, 2008. That's where a Wall Street CEO ran down Florence Cioffi, an office worker trying to hail a cab. He was recorded on video going 60 m.p.h. on that city street and kept going and was DUI and suffered not a whole lot more punishment than a strong talking-to. Nothing unusual.

The poster also links to a Rollings Stone article from 2011.

The Kill Team: How U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan Murdered Innocent Civilians

Early last year, after six hard months soldiering in Afghanistan, a group of American infantrymen reached a momentous decision: It was finally time to kill a haji.

Among the men of Bravo Company, the notion of killing an Afghan civilian had been the subject of countless conversations, during lunchtime chats and late-night bull sessions. For weeks, they had weighed the ethics of bagging "savages" and debated the probability of getting caught. Some of them agonized over the idea; others were gung-ho from the start. But not long after the New Year, as winter descended on the arid plains of Kandahar Province, they agreed to stop talking and actually pull the trigger.

Bravo Company had been stationed in the area since summer, struggling, with little success, to root out the Taliban and establish an American presence in one of the most violent and lawless regions of the country. On the morning of January 15th, the company's 3rd Platoon – part of the 5th Stryker Brigade, based out of Tacoma, Washington – left the mini-metropolis of tents and trailers at Forward Operating Base Ramrod in a convoy of armored Stryker troop carriers. The massive, eight-wheeled trucks surged across wide, vacant stretches of desert, until they came to La Mohammad Kalay, an isolated farming village tucked away behind a few poppy fields.

Not an easy article to read..

The poppy plants were still low to the ground at that time of year. The two soldiers, Cpl. Jeremy Morlock and Pfc. Andrew Holmes, saw a young farmer who was working by himself among the spiky shoots. Off in the distance, a few other soldiers stood sentry. But the farmer was the only Afghan in sight. With no one around to witness, the timing was right. And just like that, they picked him for execution.

Snapper knows the word ineptitude very well:

BUSH / CHENEY / RICE

We Should Negotiate With Terrorists. We Always Have.

Michael Tomasky

Who started “We don’t negotiate with terrorists”? The president who did just that more than any other. Let’s stop this reactionary nonsense.

I’m sure by now you have heard someone on TV say, of the five Taliban returnees, that we were going to have to give them back anyway, on cessation of hostilities. What you may not have heard said quite so often is why that is the case. But the reason is crucially important, because it brings to the fore one of the great hypocrisies under which the United States is forced to—or has chosen to—labor, and one we should do away with posthaste: this ridiculous idea that “We don’t negotiate with terrorists.”

With respect to the release of the hirsute quintet, here’s the deal. We declared war on the Taliban in 2001. “We,” the Bush administration, did this, although I confess I supported that war (never Iraq, though). Once we declared war on them and invaded their country, the rules of war applied. That means prisoners taken aren’t hostages. They are prisoners of war. And prisoners of war are accorded certain rights, some of which we violated but never mind that, and they are returned, usually at war’s end but sometimes before, through a process of… well, negotiation. It’s been this way since warfare began. And aside from prisoner exchanges, there is of course the matter of ending hostilities in the first place. That also must be negotiated.

“We” also—that is, President George W. Bush, by executive order—declared the Taliban a terrorist organization in 2002. The group is not on the State Department list, but a presidential declaration has the same legal standing and force.

And so, the conundrum of illogic that these two declarations created: The Taliban are both an enemy combatant with which we absolutely must negotiate, and a terrorist group with which we absolutely must not negotiate.

Obviously, those two realities exist in tension. How do we resolve it? You might say “by not declaring war on them,” and it has to be said, in retrospect, that sounds like a damn good idea. It should never, ever, ever be forgotten, while these Republicans bang on at President Obama for everything he does, that he was put in this position only because we started fighting this 14-year war—the longest in our history; we defeated Hitler, Mussolini, and Tojo in less than one-third the time—with fewer than 2,000 soldiers on the ground. And we—excuse me, “we”—did that because our brilliant leaders knew at that point that they wanted to save the bigger numbers for taking out Saddam Hussein. So yes, in hindsight, no war in Afghanistan, at least as it was waged by the geniuses who created this world-historic catastrophe, sounds a good thought.

more
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ways-have.html

The Bergdahl boomerang: GOP lawmakers who long urged a rescue now sour on the idea

By David Fahrenthold and Jaime Fuller, Updated: Friday, June 6, 6:59 AM E-mail the writers

Rep. Richard B. Nugent (R-Fla.), a lawmaker whose three sons have served in the military, made the case of captive soldier Bowe Bergdahl a personal cause. Nugent delivered speeches about Bergdahl on the House floor. He introduced two resolutions affirming that the United States would not abandon him in Afghanistan.

What Nugent wanted, he told a crowd at a rally for Bergdahl in February, was for “the United States to do everything possible not to leave any members of the armed forces behind.”

But now, Nugent says that — when he said “do everything possible” — he did not actually mean everything. Now that Bergdahl is free, the Florida Republican has become a critic of the deal that freed him.

Nugent believes that the Obama administration gave away too much by sending back five Taliban commanders held at Guantanamo Bay, and that it did not follow the law by consulting members of Congress ahead of time.

more
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...9e_story.html?

The Bergdahl boomerang: GOP lawmakers who long urged a rescue now sour on the idea

By David Fahrenthold and Jaime Fuller, Updated: Friday, June 6, 6:59 AM E-mail the writers

Rep. Richard B. Nugent (R-Fla.), a lawmaker whose three sons have served in the military, made the case of captive soldier Bowe Bergdahl a personal cause. Nugent delivered speeches about Bergdahl on the House floor. He introduced two resolutions affirming that the United States would not abandon him in Afghanistan.

What Nugent wanted, he told a crowd at a rally for Bergdahl in February, was for “the United States to do everything possible not to leave any members of the armed forces behind.”

But now, Nugent says that — when he said “do everything possible” — he did not actually mean everything. Now that Bergdahl is free, the Florida Republican has become a critic of the deal that freed him.

Nugent believes that the Obama administration gave away too much by sending back five Taliban commanders held at Guantanamo Bay, and that it did not follow the law by consulting members of Congress ahead of time.

more
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...9e_story.html?
    What world to you live in?