+ Reply to Thread

MLM or Affiliate Marketing - redefining the model

Notice that Vemma has rebranded itself as a affiliate marketing company. They have kept the comp plan but have eliminated auto ship requirements. Is this an attempt to distance itself from government scrutiny in the face of SEC investigations of Herbalife ? Are companies looking to distance themselves as MLM ? Both definitions fit direct selling models.

Re: MLM or Affiliate Marketing - redefining the model

Quote Originally Posted by noagenda View Post
    Notice that Vemma has rebranded itself as a affiliate marketing company. They have kept the comp plan but have eliminated auto ship requirements. Is this an attempt to distance itself from government scrutiny in the face of SEC investigations of Herbalife ? Are companies looking to distance themselves as MLM ? Both definitions fit direct selling models.
    Its still MLM/Network Marketing, simply because the compensation plan pays people over multiple levels.
    I believe that the company have done this, not so much to distance themselves from MLM, but because a major part of their culture and distributor force are young people much more used to the term ''affiliate marketing'' than MLM.
    No, I dont think companies are trying to distance themselves from MLM... far from it.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    Its still MLM/Network Marketing, simply because the compensation plan pays people over multiple levels.
    I believe that the company have done this, not so much to distance themselves from MLM, but because a major part of their culture and distributor force are young people much more used to the term ''affiliate marketing'' than MLM.
    No, I dont think companies are trying to distance themselves from MLM... far from it.
    That certainly sounds feasible as far as targeting the younger demos, however, doesn't that indicate that businesses want to redefine the term ?

Quote Originally Posted by noagenda View Post
    That certainly sounds feasible as far as targeting the younger demos, however, doesn't that indicate that businesses want to redefine the term ?
    Well it shows that his does, but I dont see anyone else doing it really. When you think about it affiliate and network marketing are pretty much the same anyway; as a distributor you're affiliated to the company you're with and for years some MLMs have called their distributors ''affiliates.'' You cant get away from the fact that if the plan pays over multiple levels, then its MLM.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    Well it shows that his does, but I dont see anyone else doing it really.
    Melaleuca has been actively claiming it's not MLM, while also implying MLM=pyramid.

They of course do use a multi level compensation plan.

New to scam.com? This is what you can expect from MLM critics in support of their claims ....

Why the f-u-c-k do you need evidence all the time? - Zapticon
    You know that I don't provide proof of my claims - Once Upon A Time
    I have the information but I'm not posting it - Joecool

Quote Originally Posted by IBOFightBack View Post
    Melaleuca has been actively claiming it's not MLM, while also implying MLM=pyramid.

They of course do use a multi level compensation plan.
    Thats a good point and they are doing it to distance themselves from MLM, but we all know its MLM anyway.