+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does Family Really Matter?

As it says.

Some place a lot of stock in it, others less so, I suppose it is really what you are used to.

My immediate family were never esp close. We had some common ground I suppose, but there were no visits, no get togethers, there has never been any of that. My sister went her way, my brother his way, and I went mine. Our parents were always there, sort of in the background...

As my life went on, I realised I was never going to have the idea of a family that is sold to you as being the 'norm'...

So, I suppose to an extent, without that really there, people that came into my life sort of become like extended family to me, sometimes my care about them and love for them is actually greater than my biological family, simply because we share more together.

Does that make sense?

It is illogical to demostrate blind loyalty to a family member, simply because they might have come out of the same womb as you.

I can appeciate the loyalty that growing up together may form, however, if one's brother carried out a serious crime, then how likely would you be to be the one to turn him in, if he refused to himself..?

Family is something of an over rated experience, in my eyes.

We place too much emphasis on this ideal, that probably never existed, and if it did, we probably weren't happy with that either, such is homo sapien...
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

Re: Does Family Really Matter?

I come from a very close family. We do everything together. Like my child singing in her school Christmas concert, there were over 30 people I guess from the family to see her. We completely wreck restaraunts all the time, 20 of us walking in to eat, they have to like rearrange everything so we can sit together. My mom had 5 siblings and my father has 2 and they are all married, have kids and almost all of them live in the area.

Family means the world to me, nothing more important, nothing.

I dont see how you can say its overrated when you admit in the first part of your post you have never really experienced it. Sounds like you yearn for family to me and are thinking about it because the holidays are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by gussser
    DC You post on so many different subjects that it hard to keep up with it all. Unconfuse me---ARE YOU JEWISH?????
    Take the Quiz! Are you left?Right? Middle?

The Quiz!

Quote Originally Posted by luciano View Post
    I come from a very close family. We do everything together. Like my child singing in her school Christmas concert, there were over 30 people I guess from the family to see her. We completely wreck restaraunts all the time, 20 of us walking in to eat, they have to like rearrange everything so we can sit together. My mom had 5 siblings and my father has 2 and they are all married, have kids and almost all of them live in the area.

Family means the world to me, nothing more important, nothing.

I dont see how you can say its overrated when you admit in the first part of your post you have never really experienced it. Sounds like you yearn for family to me and are thinking about it because the holidays are here.

Nah. Stopped yearning some years ago, chap. Quite happy with how my present set up is.

Fair play if family means everything to you.

I have a 19 yr old daughter, and she remains my baby, I look out for her, and try to see her, whenever I can/she can.

She is important to me, and she is obviously family, so maybe fathers and mothers feel more about their kids than their kids feel for them...or something like that!

Anyway, we all get a roll of the dice, and it is just yer good luck who you happen to be born to.

Cross yer fingers it is a semi sane family in the West, and not into a family that believe in witch craft, in Africa. :sun_smiley:

I think if you threw my immediate family together socially, it would be okay, no hassles of any kind, but there would be no real gel there either, imo.

Its great to see families rallying around, when required, even if I never had that...

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
    Nah. Stopped yearning some years ago, chap. Quite happy with how my present set up is.

Fair play if family means everything to you.

I have a 19 yr old daughter, and she remains my baby, I look out for her, and try to see her, whenever I can/she can.

She is important to me, and she is obviously family, so maybe fathers and mothers feel more about their kids than their kids feel for them...or something like that!

Anyway, we all get a roll of the dice, and it is just yer good luck who you happen to be born to.

Cross yer fingers it is a semi sane family in the West, and not into a family that believe in witch craft, in Africa. :sun_smiley:

I think if you threw my immediate family together socially, it would be okay, no hassles of any kind, but there would be no real gel there either, imo.

Its great to see families rallying around, when required, even if I never had that...
    If you had any kind of family you are very lucky. There are those of us that grew up without a family.

Family is everything to me. I come from a family of 9 kids, I being the second oldest. I know have two daughters and their husbands and four grandchildren. We are very close.

Yet at one time all of my brothers worked for me. I have had to fire three out of five. Only one of them will not talk to me.

But my immediate family is very important to me. My wife and I just celebrated our 30th anniversary on Dec 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by terry05_99 View Post
    Family is everything to me. I come from a family of 9 kids, I being the second oldest. I know have two daughters and their husbands and four grandchildren. We are very close.

Yet at one time all of my brothers worked for me. I have had to fire three out of five. Only one of them will not talk to me.

But my immediate family is very important to me. My wife and I just celebrated our 30th anniversary on Dec 15th.
    Congrats on that anniversary, we had our 26th on the 18th. There aren't to many left that can say what we just said about anniversaries that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    If you had any kind of family you are very lucky. There are those of us that grew up without a family.
    There are.

And to them I would say, find friends, good one's, that can fill the void.

There are.

And to them I would say, find friends, good one's, that can fill the void.
    Well, I'm the youngest of 5, and have many uncles, aunts, neices, nephews, cousins, even some that have been twice removed; whatever that means even a couple great nephews. I love them all even though I could kill some of my siblings at times. However, I also have a couple friends I concider to be just as close if not more so.

So yes, it's imortant to have such relationships, but if you don't get along it's probably healthier to keep your distance in some circumstances. Good friends can be just as important.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Congrats on that anniversary, we had our 26th on the 18th. There aren't to many left that can say what we just said about anniversaries that long.
    Congrates to you old timer and your wife. Does it seem like time went by so fast? But I know what you mean, my mother and father divorced after 25 years, so in my family I have been married the longest. Does this make me an old timer too?

Quote Originally Posted by terry05_99 View Post
    Congrates to you old timer and your wife. Does it seem like time went by so fast? But I know what you mean, my mother and father divorced after 25 years, so in my family I have been married the longest. Does this make me an old timer too?
    It sure does. Both my wife and I also have the longest marriage on either side of the family

I got the record for the quickest in my family. 3 whole months.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

Whats wrong with witch craft? It's a very poetic belief system. If you do something bad to someone else, you'll get it back times 3.

It sounds like a great way for anyone to live their life, though it could od without the animal sacrifices etc.
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_jag View Post
    Whats wrong with witch craft? It's a very poetic belief system. If you do something bad to someone else, you'll get it back times 3.

It sounds like a great way for anyone to live their life, though it could od without the animal sacrifices etc.
    But you had not better get on the wrong side of Poppa doc.

Whats wrong with witch craft?
    It's an enemy of reason, that is what's 'wrong' with it. It is the catalyst for many of the terrible things that happen to young children, in Africa. Did you read my thread about that, some time ago, LJ?

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

It's an enemy of reason, that is what's 'wrong' with it. It is the catalyst for many of the terrible things that happen to young children, in Africa. Did you read my thread about that, some time ago, LJ?
    Yeah. I didn't agree with them. Witchcraft can be used to good or for evil depending on who uses it, just like any other belief system.

It only empowers you if others believe you have power.
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.

Yeah. I didn't agree with them. Witchcraft can be used to good or for evil depending on who uses it, just like any other belief system.

It only empowers you if others believe you have power.
    I believe that is the basis of all religion isn't it?