+ Reply to Thread

Amazing! SCOTUS makes a sensible decision!

Yep... If you're an adult and don't like a prayer before a public meeting then 'buck-up' and take it. Not everything revolves around you.

If you don't like it, leave the room.

That's the essence of Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy's advice for atheists and others who object to sectarian prayers before government meetings.

In a 5-4 decision written by Kennedy, the Supreme Court allowed Greece, New York, to continue hosting prayers before its monthly town board meetings - even though an atheist and a Jewish citizen complained that the benedictions are almost always explicitly Christian.

Many members of the country's majority faith - that is, Christians - hailed the ruling.
    So, the justice suggests, as long prayers at public meetings don't fall into a pattern of proselytizing, denigrating nonbelievers or threatening damnation, what's the problem?

According to a recent poll, the vast majority of Americans share Kennedy's view.
    http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/0...yer/?hpt=hp_t1

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

Re: Amazing! SCOTUS makes a sensible decision!

So, the justice suggests, as long prayers at public meetings don't fall into a pattern of proselytizing, denigrating nonbelievers or threatening damnation, what's the problem?
    Yeah! And if they don't like it, you know where they can go!

Just kidding.

I have attended more events than I can think of that all began with a prayer. Some of those prayers and the way they were presented were downright offensive. However, I didn't attend the event to listen to people pray. I attended because the event content was what I came to hear or participate in.

The prayer starts... lasts a minute or two... and is over. On with the show.

The long and the short of the decision... get over yourself and focus on why you're there in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    I have attended more events than I can think of that all began with a prayer. Some of those prayers and the way they were presented were downright offensive. However, I didn't attend the event to listen to people pray. I attended because the event content was what I came to hear or participate in.

The prayer starts... lasts a minute or two... and is over. On with the show.

The long and the short of the decision... get over yourself and focus on why you're there in the first place.

OK.........BUTT no MATTER watt obummercare SAYS............i am NOT discussing the LONG and SHORT of MYSELF!? WITH ANYONE!?:bah:...............well on second THOUGHT MAYBE with that CUTEY over there by the concession stand!? :rryumy: :yelcutelaughA: :judges:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you