+ Reply to Thread

Science and Paranormal Activity

I don't believe that science has an answer for everything. Now, I'm not a religious nut, but I do have faith and I do believe that we are surrounded by spirits, as well as demons. There are some things in this world that science just cannot explain. I'm really interested in watching the movie "The Quiet Ones." It's loosely (very loosely) based on an experiment done in the 70s to see if a poltergeist or spirit could be manifested by man. I think that yes, spirits and paranormal activity can be manifested, but not always. I just think there's too much documentation of things that just aren't explainable. I've had a few experiences myself.

On that note, I like that "The Quiet Ones" is going into a slightly more scientific side of paranormal activity. I know "The Apparition" had a similar plot, but that was just a poorly done film.

Re: Science and Paranormal Activity

I think that yes, spirits and paranormal activity can be manifested, but not always. I just think there's too much documentation of things that just aren't explainable. I've had a few experiences myself.
    Professor Jan Vansina, one of the top authorities on factual interpretation of oral history, has stated that these and other accounts are primarily subjective, and not objective. Our perceptions and sometimes our emotions tend to fill in the missing information we were'n't aware of in the event.

IOW, human beings tend to "build" stories. Sometimes out of whole cloth, but most of the time by adding tiny pieces that aren't accounted for, to fact.

Below is a quote from Oral Tradition as History by Jan Vansina (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1985). Vansina is widely recognized as one of the leading authorities on the subject of the oral transmission of history. Here is what he says about eyewitness testimony.

In the best of circumstances, even the best of witnesses never give a movie-like account of what happened, as all accounts of accidents show. Eyewitness accounts are always a personal experience as well and involve not only perception, but also emotions.

Witnesses often are also not idle standers-by, but participants in the events. Furthermore, an understanding of what happened cannot occur through mere data of perception. Perceptions must be organized in a coherent whole and the logic of the situation supplies missing pieces of observation.

The classical cases of car accidents or purse snatching document this to satiety. A witness reporting a car accident typically first heard a smash, then saw it, then deduced how it happened—how both cars were traveling before the accident after which he or she built up a coherent account of the incident. Usually he did not see the two cars before the accident drew attention to them.

Most witnesses cannot resolve themselves to build up a story starting with a noise and the result of the accident first. If a witness was traveling in one of the stricken cars, much of what took place happened at a speed greater than his own reaction time allowed him to perceive.

Such persons often only remember one or two images of the accident. Yet when called upon to tell what happened, they must become coherent and build up a tale in which the logic of the situation makes up most of the account. (pp.4-5)
    Eyewitness accounts are only partly reliable.

Certainly it is true that complex or unexpected events are perhaps rarer than simple, expected events. Yet even here the account remains imperfect. The expectation of the event itself distorts its observation.

People tend to report what they expect to see or hear more than what they actually see or hear. To sum up: mediation of perception by memory and emotional state shapes an account.

Memory typically selects certain features from the successive perceptions and interprets them according to expectation, previous knowledge, or the logic of “what must have happened,” and fills the gaps in perception. (p. 5)
    http://debunkingchristianity.blogspo...ologetics.html
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by GHOST DOG View Post
    Professor Jan Vansina, one of the top authorities on factual interpretation of oral history, has stated that these and other accounts are primarily subjective, and not objective. Our perceptions and sometimes our emotions tend to fill in the missing information we were'n't aware of in the event.

IOW, human beings tend to "build" stories. Sometimes out of whole cloth, but most of the time by adding tiny pieces that aren't accounted for, to fact.

Below is a quote from Oral Tradition as History by Jan Vansina (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1985). Vansina is widely recognized as one of the leading authorities on the subject of the oral transmission of history. Here is what he says about eyewitness testimony.

http://debunkingchristianity.blogspo...ologetics.html
    i dont WHOLLY disagree with what your SAYING but it still is DEPENDENT on some OVERALL NORM that you CLAIM is totally OWNED by SCIENCE!? simply on the CHALLENGE that if you CANT express it in some DETECTABLE by ARTIFICIAL instruments (not provided by NATURE) it is NOT real!? and yet this very demand EXCLUDES the NATURE of MANKIND itself!? as if to say man WAS an INFERIOR evolutionary ACCIDENT only made IMPROVED thru SCIENCE!? :errr: :judges: :spin2: :
    Last edited by lexx; 05-17-2014 at 11:04 PM.
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

i dont WHOLLY disagree with what your SAYING but it still is DEPENDENT on some OVERALL NORM that you CLAIM is totally OWNED by SCIENCE!?
    Lexx......science makes it's determinations based on perceptions drawn from skilled observations. It has thoroughly investigated the best of the so-called "paranormal sightings."
    Furthermore, it finds no correlation between these so-called 'events' and reality.

And as Dr. Vansina points out "Eyewitness accounts are always a personal experience as well and involve not only perception, but also emotions."

Human emotions are the main driving force involved in human accounts of the paranormal. We humans tend to 'read' more into our story than is there. Or we tend to slightly change what we see.

The bottom line seems to be the fact that science's observations trumps human accounts of the paranormal.

Once again Occam's Razor rules the day: "The simplest explanation is usually the correct explanation."
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein