+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 23

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21

    Is being atheist a bad thing?

    I am an atheist:. I do not believe in any religion or God. But I do like to visit temples, churches and mosques as it gives me such a peaceful feeling. There's nothing wrong about me and do not stop others from practising their religion. But every now and then, someone would raise an eyebrow and misunderstand me when I say that I'm an atheist. Why is it so? Why do some people dislike atheists?:rotz:

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    45

    Re: Is being atheist a bad thing?

    People dislike atheists because it causes them to feel insecure about their own beliefs.
    Being an atheist, you accept that you don't know everything about the universe, so you are more tolerant than religious people, who in turn believe that the origin of everything comes in a book written millennia ago.
    I'm an atheist and I also like visiting churches like you, I think the architecture is an important part of our shared human culture.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    74

    Re: Is being atheist a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Strykstar View Post
    Being an atheist, you accept that you don't know everything about the universe, so you are more tolerant than religious people, who in turn believe that the origin of everything comes in a book written millennia ago..
    But by calling yourself an atheist, you're doing the very thing that you are complaining religious people are doing. You are claiming that you know exactly everything about the universe. You are claiming that you know for certain, beyond all doubt, that there is nothing beyond this life. That's making you a big ol' hypocrite.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,324

    Re: Is being atheist a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    But by calling yourself an atheist, you're doing the very thing that you are complaining religious people are doing. You are claiming that you know exactly everything about the universe. You are claiming that you know for certain, beyond all doubt, that there is nothing beyond this life. That's making you a big ol' hypocrite.
    How is saying "I do not believe in magic men in the sky" translated to 'I know everything about the universe"? I am betting you are using the "See, you have faith there is no god" argument. The reason that doesn't hold water is that thinking people, when presented facts, change their minds. Binary thinkers just disregard anything that doesn't fit the mold. See the difference?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Glendale Az
    Posts
    1,249

    Re: Is being atheist a bad thing?

    But by calling yourself an atheist, you're doing the very thing that you are complaining religious people are doing. You are claiming that you know exactly everything about the universe. You are claiming that you know for certain, beyond all doubt, that there is nothing beyond this life.
    I will not attempt to speak for others but I am an Atheist. Merriam-Webster defines Atheism thus:

    a disbelief in the existence of deity
    Choosing an Atheistic belief system has nothing to do with the fact that I admit that I do, or do not know everything about the universe, or that I know that there will be something besides death after my life is over.

    After years of study and subjecting my Christian beliefs to careful scrutiny, testing against hard facts, leaving my emotions and bias aside, I see no evidence that a God of the Bible, or Quran, or any other religion-based belief system is real, or even needed for a universe to come into existence.

    Evidence of any supernatural being would require supernatural evidence. As far as Christianity goes, after having been a devout, bible-reading Christian for over fifty years, I've found that the bible is probably one of the most powerful proofs against a Christian God that I've ever seen.

    How many devout Christians have challenged their religious beliefs by walking on both sides of this dividing "fence," leaving their emotional attachments and bias behind, and then made the conscious choice to go with the belief system which follows human perceptions closer to the reality we exist in?
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    21,438

    Re: Is being atheist a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    How is saying "I do not believe in magic men in the sky" translated to 'I know everything about the universe"? I am betting you are using the "See, you have faith there is no god" argument. The reason that doesn't hold water is that thinking people, when presented facts, change their minds. Binary thinkers just disregard anything that doesn't fit the mold. See the difference?
    What facts would these be? The "theory" behind the universe and it's creation are not facts. It may be the latest of what people know but it's not conclusive proof.

    Do you believe that theory that the universe was created out of nothing?
    Originally Posted by nomaxim
    Sorry there ''ohein56', but it appears that 'Joecool44' does not have the position that you envision on this topic.

    'Joecool44' has, as a matter of routine, refuted most of your accusations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax74 View Post
    Some people have the ability to think critically, some do not. ohein obviously doesn't.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Glendale Az
    Posts
    1,249

    Re: Is being atheist a bad thing?

    The "theory" behind the universe and it's creation are not facts. It may be the latest of what people know but it's not conclusive proof.
    And the bible's representations are "conclusive proof?"

    Scientific theories describing the universe creating itself out of "nothing" (Quantum Physic's descriptions of vacuum fluctuations, along with The Big Bang Theory) stand as a combination of both deductive and inductive reasoning at it's best.

    However, the Creationists can only bring an emotional attachment to a Bronze Age book written by some sheepherders to the table.

    Joe, it depends on what a person places his faith in.......a rigid structure of trained observations and experiments based on unbiased, peer-reviewed explanations, which may change if a newer and better explanation comes along, or a system that retains it's followers primarily using the emotional bonds of fear and guilt, and which stays stuck in dogmatic stagnation, meaning that it almost never changes it's ideas, no matter what happens.
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,324

    Re: Is being atheist a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    What facts would these be? The "theory" behind the universe and it's creation are not facts. It may be the latest of what people know but it's not conclusive proof.

    Do you believe that theory that the universe was created out of nothing?
    Personally I have no clue. But I know it was not created in 6 days.

  9. #9
    conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,259

    Re: Is being atheist a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Strykstar View Post
    People dislike atheists because it causes them to feel insecure about their own beliefs.
    No, atheists are so disliked because they're so damn preachy and they think they have all the answers and they're so intolerant of Christianity while being very tolerant of violent Islam and nature worshiping religions

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    74

    Re: Is being atheist a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    How is saying "I do not believe in magic men in the sky" translated to 'I know everything about the universe"? I am betting you are using the "See, you have faith there is no god" argument. The reason that doesn't hold water is that thinking people, when presented facts, change their minds. Binary thinkers just disregard anything that doesn't fit the mold. See the difference?
    Nope, try again.

    You said that by admitting to being an atheist makes you more tolerant than religious people, as they believe that they know a higher power exists. But by the very definition of the word, by being an atheist you are doing the exact same thing by saying you know that a higher power does not exist. Same coin, just a different side of it.

    Now, if you want to say that you're not sure of the existence of a higher power, i.e there could be one, but you do not know, and you cannot know, then you're an agnostic, and are not simply doing the same thing you complain religious people are doing i.e claiming you know something to be true, when you cannot. You are complaining about binary thinkers, and yet you yourself are one.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,715

    Re: Is being atheist a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Nope, try again.

    You said that by admitting to being an atheist makes you more tolerant than religious people, as they believe that they know a higher power exists. But by the very definition of the word, by being an atheist you are doing the exact same thing by saying you know that a higher power does not exist. Same coin, just a different side of it.

    Now, if you want to say that you're not sure of the existence of a higher power, i.e there could be one, but you do not know, and you cannot know, then you're an agnostic, and are not simply doing the same thing you complain religious people are doing i.e claiming you know something to be true, when you cannot. You are complaining about binary thinkers, and yet you yourself are one.



    I personally am completely convinced that there is no God, but am more than happy to look at any proof to the contrary, should someone present it.

    So far, the 'proof' hasn't been exactly stellar........

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21

    Re: Is being atheist a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    No, atheists are so disliked because they're so damn preachy and they think they have all the answers and they're so intolerant of Christianity while being very tolerant of violent Islam and nature worshiping religions
    See you're generalising here and it's not a good thing because not every atheist is like what you're saying. I, for that matter, respect every religion and their people be it christains, muslims and all the others. I would even like to read bible, quran soon.

  13. #13
    conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,259

    Re: Is being atheist a bad thing?

    No, I'm going by the behaviour exhibited on this board. This forum is extremely hostile to Christian beliefs and values. There is ZERO tolerance of Christianity in the Religion Forum section of this forum. Personal beliefs are ridiculed here by atheists rather than following the "scam" theme.

    HOWEVER, the same contempt is not displayed toward Islam or Nature Worship (GlobalWarming/Environmentalism). Is it because you're such cowards that you won't confront THAT religion? Or is it the anti-God aspect that causes you to focus on the religion that comes closest to revealing the True God?

    Of course your arrogance is clear to all except those caught up in the cult of Atheism

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,715

    Re: Is being atheist a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    No, I'm going by the behaviour exhibited on this board. This forum is extremely hostile to Christian beliefs and values. There is ZERO tolerance of Christianity in the Religion Forum section of this forum. Personal beliefs are ridiculed here by atheists rather than following the "scam" theme.

    HOWEVER, the same contempt is not displayed toward Islam or Nature Worship (GlobalWarming/Environmentalism). Is it because you're such cowards that you won't confront THAT religion? Or is it the anti-God aspect that causes you to focus on the religion that comes closest to revealing the True God?

    Of course your arrogance is clear to all except those caught up in the cult of Atheism


    I hold the same opinion of all religions. Show me proof or I won't believe it.

    I find it ironic that you of all people point a finger at someone like me and state that I hold christianity in contempt, am hostile to christian values and beliefs when you yourself are so arrogantly and openly hostile to others who claim Christ in a slightly different way.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,232

    Re: Is being atheist a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    No, I'm going by the behaviour exhibited on this board. This forum is extremely hostile to Christian beliefs and values. There is ZERO tolerance of Christianity in the Religion Forum section of this forum. Personal beliefs are ridiculed here by atheists rather than following the "scam" theme.

    HOWEVER, the same contempt is not displayed toward Islam or Nature Worship (GlobalWarming/Environmentalism). Is it because you're such cowards that you won't confront THAT religion? Or is it the anti-God aspect that causes you to focus on the religion that comes closest to revealing the True God?

    Of course your arrogance is clear to all except those caught up in the cult of Atheism
    Says the guy who frequently insults other religions and beliefs... different rules for different people, uh? :yelcutelaughA:

    Seriously:
    The debate here is very much between Christians and agnostics, with the odd atheist weighing in. Simply because those beliefs constitute the membership here. Not very surprising.

    We don't have any islamic members here, as far as I know. If a Muslim extremist starts posting in this forum, I will gladly go up against him and throw some punches. So would you, I believe. But that hasn't happened yet.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern, California
    Posts
    16,985

    Re: Is being atheist a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    No, atheists are so disliked because they're so damn preachy and they think they have all the answers and they're so intolerant of Christianity while being very tolerant of violent Islam and nature worshiping religions
    Typical right wing hypocrite? ...guilty of what you accuse others of?!...preachy, self-righteous, & intolerant.

    Yep!
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Similar Threads

  1. Do you know an atheist?
    By Leeguana in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 267
    Last Post: 03-08-2015, 05:00 PM
  2. I am a proud Atheist
    By Carlin in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 04:42 PM
  3. Atheist Rally In DC
    By Administrator in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-15-2012, 12:22 PM
  4. Atheist Scum
    By pwrone in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 06:10 AM
  5. Atheist Eve
    By SubJunk in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 05:06 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •