+ Reply to Thread

The Starbucks Scam

Ok, I know this isn't necessarily a "scam" because you know what you are paying for, but come on do we really need to pay like 2-3 bucks for a cup of coffee? I know they have to make money so they have to increase their price range a bit, but coffee is dirt cheap! I can go to the store and get 100 servings of coffee for just a few bucks. Plus I really don't think Starbucks coffee tastes that much better than anyone elses.

Re: The Starbucks Scam

Quote Originally Posted by hawk22 View Post
    Ok, I know this isn't necessarily a "scam" because you know what you are paying for, but come on do we really need to pay like 2-3 bucks for a cup of coffee? I know they have to make money so they have to increase their price range a bit, but coffee is dirt cheap! I can go to the store and get 100 servings of coffee for just a few bucks. Plus I really don't think Starbucks coffee tastes that much better than anyone elses.
    They have to charge that much for coffee. Otherwise, how would they be able to afford storefronts on just about every corner in NYC? Seriously though, there's a mall near my house where there's 3 starbucks, one in the mall and two in the surrounding strip centers. Proof? See the attached photo and tell me they really need that many starbucks in that little area.

But you would think with more storefronts they would be getting more revenue. Obviously they would have more to pay but man, it just seems like their price point is way too much for a simple cup of coffee. Now I do get things there such as white mochas, but that's just because I don't know how to make one myself :)

At Starbucks and similar places you're paying way more than coffee, you're paying for the status of being there and sitting on the couch and so on. It's a service, just those who are willing to pay get in. :)

I will admit that if I go there to sit down and get some work done then I think it is worth it because I get free refills, and if I am there for a few hours then I usually go through about 3 coffee refills and feel like I got my money's worth :)

Starbucks is charging you for the lifestyle they're helping you create, shops in nice areas, cool music playing when you go in, the option to personalize your beverage. More importantly as long as people continue to buy coffee from there for a ridiculous markup the longer they will keep selling it.

starbucks cake size and drink size does not even worth the money we pay starbucks.