+ Reply to Thread

McDonalds jobs are a scam

I think that McDonald part-time jobs are really a scam and I don't know how people accept them. Only McDonalds to hire people for a 4 hours per day part time, that is between 12PM and 2PM and then from 7PM and 9PM for example. What are people suppose to do between 2 and 7PM, I don't think it's fair!

Re: McDonalds jobs are a scam

Wow! I was hired there when I was in college and got a 3-hour shift. People were like "once you get into the rhythm of things, it's time to clock out". I was young and didn't care.

Then I quit...big mistake because it took forever to get that final check. People again laughed because this was common, no matter which Mickey Ds employed you!

I can't even imagine how hard it might be to do those 3 hours because every single minute of it is pretty intense. Do you have an idea how many people you served in 5 minutes for example?

It's a matter of supply and demand, people go to McDonald's for those jobs when they absolutely can't get any other jobs, it's sad but it's true.
    So McDonald's can afford to treat people like this, because they know there are always people desperate enough to put up with it.

I agree that it's the law of supply and demand, but at the same time it's sad to see that big companies use these schemes to offer part-time jobs that in fact cover more time than many full time jobs, I think that legislation should take this into consideration.

I feel bad for people that have to bus to work and then get sent home after a couple hours. Or even have to pay a babysitter on top of that. Impossible to live that is for sure, unless you find a good store where they need you fulltime and its a consistent schedule.
    When in doubt, Meditate!

Worse than that Maybee (nice username lol), some McDonalds have rooms filled with games and stuff where their workers wait until the next shift. They want them to be comfortable so that they accept those working conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Peninha View Post
    I agree that it's the law of supply and demand, but at the same time it's sad to see that big companies use these schemes to offer part-time jobs that in fact cover more time than many full time jobs, I think that legislation should take this into consideration.
    Scams like this is exactly how these companies manage to get so big, it's a disgusting practice.

Although that's not the lifestyle I would want to live I wouldn't call it a scam. The people are aware of the hours and they are getting paid for their work. Might actually be a good schedule for college students!

Quote Originally Posted by Peninha View Post
    I can't even imagine how hard it might be to do those 3 hours because every single minute of it is pretty intense. Do you have an idea how many people you served in 5 minutes for example?
    Oh, of course! *sarcasm*

People needed their junk food stat and managers were on us like white on rice to ensure that not a second was wasted.

Back then, there was a QA person that made routine visits. Kind of like a mystery shopper but more direct and they were paid an annual salary. Anyway, we butted heads when she publicly scolded me for giving someone 6 ketchup packets instead of 3:yelcutelaughA:.

It's not exactly a scam, but yeah they are not great. But they can do that because the people who need to work there need the money, or can't find a job anywhere else. Although if you manage to make it above cashier, to the higher jobs, they're fairly decent I hear.

There are plenty of jobs like that not just Mcdees. What about cleaning jobs and dinner ladies, lollipop ladies. Fair enough Mcdees and places do it so they can keep employees on a zero hour contract probably and it's not fair but I would take four hours at Mcdees over none.

I completely sympathize with people who are going through this, it's tough when you're not making a lot per hour and then you are scheduled a low number of hours or just a weird schedule. BUT I don't think you can call it a scam because as long as McDonald's is paying they're not deceiving anybody. Regardless, I would never side with McDonald's just trying to look at it with a fact-based approach.

Not sure about today or if those who move into management are affected by this but not paying someone on time is a scam. And it's a major inconvenience for the former employee because they may have bills that are subject to fees when not paid on time.

Businesses charge (retailers,utility companies, landlords, the IRS) when accounts are not paid on time. Though I was young and childless when I worked there, there are many who cannot say this. Someone once told me that employers should pay interest on amount but many get away with not doing this. This may vary by the state or country but this is not fair.