+ Reply to Thread

Garages and mechanics are the biggest scams ever!

Please, if any of you know an honest mechanic or a garage please tell me, I think they make the price for repair according to your face... Am I the only one that thinks like this?

Re: Garages and mechanics are the biggest scams ever!

Where do you live? I would recommend checking out Angies List on the internet. I am pretty sure they have sections for mechanics. Good luck, Brother.

They will for sure rip you off! That's why I always try to do my own work for the projects I can, but there are times when I have no idea how to fix what's going on so I have to take it in. Luckily I do know someone who owns a mechanic shop so I take it to him and he actually gives me a fair price.

Totally agree. I needed some work done on my car recently and was quoted $1000 by a garage. One of my coworkers did it, and the total cost for parts and labor was only $425. Such a ripoff!

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Don View Post
    Where do you live? I would recommend checking out Angies List on the internet. I am pretty sure they have sections for mechanics. Good luck, Brother.
    just like craigslist i suspect ANGIES list is just another PIMP spot for the CLEVER TAKERS!? :bah: :judges: :spin2:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

I don't really like Angie's list. They're always touting that "No company can pay to be on Angie's list." Yet you have to pay to use the site. Yelp basically provides the same service, at absolutely no cost to anyone! I would trust Yelpers far more than Angie's list.

Most dealerships will rob you blind fixing your entire car over something that was legitimately a minor problem... It's how they stay in business lol - ripping others off.
    Get paid to chat! :) Diskussable

Quote Originally Posted by pr0xx1d View Post
    Most dealerships will rob you blind fixing your entire car over something that was legitimately a minor problem... It's how they stay in business lol - ripping others off.
    Thankfully, times may be a changin' for dishonest mechanics. Last night I saw this product on TV called "pocket mechanic" that instantly diagnoses a check engine light and has a website where you can input the code and see what the problem really is.

Beware of These Common Car Repair Scams

Car maintenance is an essential part of vehicle ownership, so it's important to hire a reputable mechanic. But be on the lookout for auto repair fraud.

Good mechanics are worth their weight in oil. These masters of motors help keep your car in top shape, but don't drain your wallet for each fix. Unfortunately, not all shops are so diligent. Here are three common car repair scams, and how to avoid them.

Related Article

3 Car Dealer Scams to Avoid

Look for signs of these three scams when you're buying a car.

1. The dirty air filter scam

This is one of the most popular, and prevalent, car repair scams on the market. It goes like this: You bring your vehicle in for regular maintenance or a much-needed repair, and the mechanic tells you that your air filter is filthy.
    Sometimes, he or she is talking about the engine air filter, which keeps dust and debris away from essential moving parts, and sometimes the mechanic is referring to your cabin air filter, which is attached to the car's HVAC system and cleans air coming in through the vents to the passenger and driver.
    Don't fall for this one.
    In both cases, the mechanic tells you just how dirty your filter is and then shows it you. Inevitably, it will be black and dusty. The scam? It may not be yours. Some shops keep a dirty filter on hand to trick unsuspecting customers into buying something they don't need.
    Always make sure the filter you're seeing is the one from your car and know when your filters need replacement. Cabin air filters, for example, should be replaced every 15,000 to 20,000 miles and are usually found in the glove box or under the dash of the passenger front seat.

Watch this animated video on one of the most common auto repair scams.

00:00

00:00

2. The oil change scam

This one is all about the upgrades. You go in for an oil change because your car needs it (and because it's a great deal) and leave the vehicle in the mechanic's capable hands. Around half an hour later, you get a call. It turns out the simple oil change you needed is not so simple.
    Here, the idea is to sell you on upgrades. Often, you'll be told that your car needs "premium" or synthetic oil and that the technician working on it can't use a lower grade without your approval. They'll want you to come back to the shop, speak to a manager and sign off on the work, all the while talking about potential issues you could encounter using a low-cost product. You may also be told that extra "problems" were uncovered on your vehicle once its went up on the hoist. These problems are hard to see, highly technical to describe and very expensive to fix.
    Finding a reputable, licensed mechanic helps you sidestep this scam.

3. The while you were away scam

This scam is often the most expensive. You bring your vehicle in because it's "acting up" and ask the shop to take a look and get back to you with the results. Instead, you get a call several hours or days later saying a host of problems have been fixed and you owe the company hundreds or thousands of dollars. They may talk about tubes and gaskets, spark plugs or transmissions, but the bottom line is they want you to pay for all the repairs or they won't let you have the car back.
    Do not pay for anything you didn't authorize. You may owe for the initial quote and labor to investigate the issues, but no garage can do work without your written permission and it cannot hold your car as collateral.
    If they refuse to return your vehicle, call the local police. Fraud and theft are potential consequences for this kind of scam. Unfortunately, this scam continues to work because owners are legitimately scared their vehicles will be taken away if they don't pay. Never pay.

The importance of good records

Most owners don't use it, but the owner's manual for your vehicle has a handy tracking sheet for recording when your oil changes were completed and at what mileage, along with reminders for other service work such as tire rotations ortransmission flushes.
    Beyond the manual, it's just as critical for you to keep good records of any work done to your vehicle. This way, if a mechanic tries to overcharge you for car repairs you'll see it coming. You'll know exactly what kind of oil you need, when your air filters were changed and what type of work has been done to your car over its lifetime.
    Editor's note: This is an updated version of an article originally posted on July 18, 2013.

Related Article

4 Warning Signs of a Bad Auto Mechanic

The key to getting quality auto repair service is to find a trained mechanic who offers a warranty on all work and has ASE certification.