+ Reply to Thread

Bono's Charity Only Gives 1%

An anti-poverty charity started by Irish U2 vocalist Bono is being forced to account for its practices after it was revealed that only a tiny small portion of the massive amount of charities money it raises ever reaches those for whom the charity was extended.

The name of Bono's charity is ONE, and some people are saying that Bono set it up as little more than a place where he would be able to appoint his own friends and family in order to give them high paying jobs so that they don't have to mooch off HIS good fortune for the rest of their lives!

Just as an example, ONE raked in 10 million pounds in 2008, but handed out only 118,000 pounds to "worthy causes". Meanwhile, at least 5 million pounds went to pay bloated salaries to chums and fam.

Bloody disgusting, innit?

That's why we have Charity Scams on scam.com.
    You are better off helping your neighbor or a person at work sometimes.

Makes you hate the world, the charity hustles

Re: Bono's Charity Only Gives 1%

No, say it isn't so. I love Bono! I don't believe this! Is it the people that run his organization? It must be. He's so busy I can't imagine him being so involved with the day to day operations. Under 1%!!!!?? That makes me seriously seriously ill! I am going to Google this and find the whole story.
    When in doubt, Meditate!

Under 1% is true. ONE said it took no money from the public and that most of its funding came from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. So it looks like he just ripped off Bill Gates.

Also found out that U2 only pays 2% tax because they they creatively set up off shore business banking accounts SMH
    When in doubt, Meditate!

This is yet another example of why charities can't be trusted. Think about it: Who is paying for all those ads on TV for the ASPCA and Hunger charities? TV networks don't just "give away" advertising time!

Oh I hate hearing news like this. I love U2, and really thought they did great things for charity. There's never an AIDS benefit or some other concert that they don't NOT volunteer for free. What a shame. Hopefully it is the people are managing these things and they should be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    An anti-poverty charity started by Irish U2 vocalist Bono is being forced to account for its practices after it was revealed that only a tiny small portion of the massive amount of charities money it raises ever reaches those for whom the charity was extended.

The name of Bono's charity is ONE, and some people are saying that Bono set it up as little more than a place where he would be able to appoint his own friends and family in order to give them high paying jobs so that they don't have to mooch off HIS good fortune for the rest of their lives!

Just as an example, ONE raked in 10 million pounds in 2008, but handed out only 118,000 pounds to "worthy causes". Meanwhile, at least 5 million pounds went to pay bloated salaries to chums and fam.

Bloody disgusting, innit?

That's why we have Charity Scams on scam.com.
    You are better off helping your neighbor or a person at work sometimes.

Makes you hate the world, the charity hustles
    Wow what the hell, Bono... I normally can't say I'm surprised but I actually am. Sickening!
    Get paid to chat! :) Diskussable

Quote Originally Posted by pr0xx1d View Post
    Wow what the hell, Bono... I normally can't say I'm surprised but I actually am. Sickening!
    Well, at least he's being honest in the name of his charity, ONE, giving away ONE percent of the proceeds. Of all people to do such a thing, Bono would be among the last on my list too.

Sadly this happens with quite a few charities, they spend a lot more on themselves then what they give out. But still, 1% is ridiculously low, they should be forced to either give the money away or give it back to the people that donated.

Now that is really sad, I don't understand how this can be legal. People are giving their money to a charity expecting the charity to gain from it, when it reality the charity gains VERY little from it. That is such a scam.

If all these are really true (still can't believe it - I love Bono too :rotz: ) I wonder what's really happening in other smaller charitable institutions? Is there any government office that audits the activities of charity companies or organizations that collect donations or raise funds? This is really bad news. :(

Quote Originally Posted by magicman94 View Post
    Well, at least he's being honest in the name of his charity, ONE, giving away ONE percent of the proceeds. Of all people to do such a thing, Bono would be among the last on my list too.
    Haha, aint that the truth. I am not surprised most charities do the same thing its a business after all. Charity starts at home I say. I also always say that with all the money raised every year from events such as Live Aid and Comic Relief how can people still be staving and now we know why because no matter how much we give they aren't getting it.