+ Reply to Thread

Sports Quotes of the Day

Use this thread to post the best and most inspirational sports quotes that were said throughout history. Sports are programmed into our brain from childhood to old age. Competition, winning, losing, comradery, coaching, playing, manging.....sports are peoples' lives!

Here's my favorite sports quotes to get this party started:

“The only way to prove that you’re a good sport is to lose.” – Ernie Banks

“When you’re riding, only the race in which you’re riding is important.” – Bill Shoemaker

“Age is no barrier. It’s a limitation you put on your mind.” – Jackie Joyner-Kersee

“A trophy carries dust. Memories last forever.” – Mary Lou Retton

“Most people give up just when they’re about to achieve success. They quit on the one yard line. They give up at the last minute of the game one foot from a winning touchdown.” – Ross Perot

“There may be people that have more talent than you, but theres no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” – Derek Jeter

“Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer.” – Ted Williams
    Last edited by Administrator; 04-02-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Re: Sports Quotes of the Day

I found some sports quotes that I like, I'll play:

"If practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, why practice?"- Derek P.

Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else. - Vince Lombardi

Pain is only temporary but victory is forever.- Jeremy H.

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong. - Unknown

My favorite sports quote is from Wayne Gretzky:

"You miss 100% of the shots you never (don't) take!"

People don't play sports because its fun. Ask any athlete, most of them hate it, but they couldn't imagine their life with out it. Its part of them, the love/hate relationship. Its what they live for. They live for the practices, parties, cheers, long bus rides, invitationals, countless pairs of different types of shoes, water, Gatorade, & coaches you hate but appreciate. They live for the way it feels when they beat the other team, and knowing those two extra sprints they ran in practice were worth it. They live for the way they become a family with their team, they live for the countless songs they sing in their head while training all those hours. They live for the competition, they live for the friends, the practices, the memories, the pain, its who they are. It's who we are.

- myspace

Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.

- Muhammad Ali
    Ar15 - Your Firearm resource website

Being perfect is not about that scoreboard out there. It's not about winning. It's about you and your relationship with yourself, your family and your friends. Being perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didnt let them down because you told them the truth. And that truth is you did everything you could. There wasnt one more thing you could've done. Can you live in that moment as best you can, with clear eyes, and love in your heart, with joy in your heart? If you can do that gentleman - you're perfect!

- Coach Gary Gaines off of Friday Night Lights
    "A person starts to live when he can live outside himself."

You don't win the silver, you lose the gold.
    - Mean Jean Oakland

Coming in second place is being the first loser.
    - Me

"Don't bunt. Aim out of the ballpark"
    -
    David Ogilvy

“I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it.” – Sandy Koufax

The first quote in the original quote is my favorite. I guess that really is the only way to prove that you are a good sport! The best athletes are the ones who seek out the never have to prove that :)