+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Does praying really work?

If you ask if you believe Jesus Christ and praying to Christ would you get a job ....... I dont think Jesus christ would really help people much. it depends if you have the luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlin View Post
    I am asking the kajillion dollar question: Does praying really really work?:rotz:

Trillions and trillions of prayers every day asking and begging and pleading for favors. 'Do this' 'Gimme that' 'I want a new car' 'I want a better job'. And most of this praying takes place on Sunday. And I say fine, pray for anything you want. Pray for anything. But...what about the divine plan? Remember that? The divine plan. Long time ago god made a divine plan. Gave it a lot of thought. Decided it was a good plan. Put it into practice. And for billion and billions of years the divine plan has been doing just fine. Now you come along and pray for something. Well, suppose the thing you want isn't in god's divine plan. What do you want him to do? Change his plan? Just for you? Doesn't it seem a little arrogant? It's a divine plan. What's the use of being god if every run-down schmuck with a two dollar prayer book can come along and up your plan? And here's something else, another problem you might have; suppose your prayers aren't answered. What do you say? 'Well it's god's will. God's will be done.' Fine, but if it gods will and he's going to do whatever he wants to anyway; why the bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me. Couldn't you just skip the praying part and get right to his will?
    You know what, I have always wondered about that too. I used to pray to God to help me in various things, or to get me out of my problems, but then I researched about reincarnation and astrology, and then I found out that some things are really just destined. I also learned that even before we were born, our soul already has a mission destined for us to do, and some of our problems are destined as well, so no wonder God really doesn't answer our prayers. It's not His will to relieve us. In other words, He willed us to suffer, maybe to pay for some past life karma.

Quote Originally Posted by drizzly View Post
    You know what, I have always wondered about that too. I used to pray to God to help me in various things, or to get me out of my problems, but then I researched about reincarnation and astrology, and then I found out that some things are really just destined. I also learned that even before we were born, our soul already has a mission destined for us to do, and some of our problems are destined as well, so no wonder God really doesn't answer our prayers. It's not His will to relieve us. In other words, He willed us to suffer, maybe to pay for some past life karma.

ing1:ing1:

Really??

Quote Originally Posted by Carlin View Post
    I am asking the kajillion dollar question: Does praying really really work?:rotz:

Trillions and trillions of prayers every day asking and begging and pleading for favors. 'Do this' 'Gimme that' 'I want a new car' 'I want a better job'. And most of this praying takes place on Sunday. And I say fine, pray for anything you want. Pray for anything. But...what about the divine plan? Remember that? The divine plan. Long time ago god made a divine plan. Gave it a lot of thought. Decided it was a good plan. Put it into practice. And for billion and billions of years the divine plan has been doing just fine. Now you come along and pray for something. Well, suppose the thing you want isn't in god's divine plan. What do you want him to do? Change his plan? Just for you? Doesn't it seem a little arrogant? It's a divine plan. What's the use of being god if every run-down schmuck with a two dollar prayer book can come along and up your plan? And here's something else, another problem you might have; suppose your prayers aren't answered. What do you say? 'Well it's god's will. God's will be done.' Fine, but if it gods will and he's going to do whatever he wants to anyway; why the bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me. Couldn't you just skip the praying part and get right to his will?
    I've prayed that if the room would quit spinning that i would never drink again. It didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by vatrecia View Post
    Yes praying really works, you must first have faith and to believe that God sent his son Jesus to die on the cross for all of our sins. Having faith is the key to having prayers answered, then being in doubt. As God will only question your faith, but he will never give up on you.
    I usually pray that God bless my family, that we be safe each and everyday. Mold me in your love, Make new in me that I am your child. God knows your heart, and always thank him for waking up you and your family. And bless each and every meal you conceive.
    Why would god question my faith, or anything for that matter? HE already knows everything i have ever done or will ever do.

So will your family not be safe if you don't ask? What if you forget once, maybe fall asleep too early? Since god knew you were going to he would have time to plan some old testament stuff for your family. Maybe locusts, first born murdered etc?

Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    Why would god question my faith, or anything for that matter? HE already knows everything i have ever done or will ever do.
    Knowing how things will play out is a lot different from controlling the outcome. Every day you make choices, none of which you were 'programmed' to make so the issue of God knowing something makes little difference in matters of faith. You choose to believe and if you don't why do you expect to get anything from God? If you have a kid and you have your kid doubting your intentions all the time, you'll get fed up with that kid very fast. We're like God's children. If we ask, in faith, trusting that He will do what we ask, and we live as He expects us to, then He'll answer our prayers. If the conditions are not fulfilled then getting an answer to your prayers is also out of question.

Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    I've prayed that if the room would quit spinning that i would never drink again. It didn't work
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

My mom, who is a hardcore catholic, has also been feuding with her neighbor over the property line for nearly 50 years now. She had me in tears laughing when she once said "I go to church every Sunday and pray that bitch will die!". It hasn't happened yet, for what it's worth.

Prayer may have some indirect effect on certain people though - perhaps it's a form of meditation for them, to help them relax and focus. A placebo of sorts, but if it helps them feel like they have accomplished something, so be it.

My mom, who is a hardcore catholic, has also been feuding with her neighbor over the property line for nearly 50 years now. She had me in tears laughing when she once said "I go to church every Sunday and pray that bitch will die!". It hasn't happened yet, for what it's worth.
    "If a God listened to the prayers of men, all men would have quickly perished, for they are forever praying for evil against one another."

Epicurus
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by GHOST DOG View Post
    "If a God listened to the prayers of men, all men would have quickly perished, for they are forever praying for evil against one another."

Epicurus
    If prayer really worked, 'they' would have prayed gays out of existence long ago! Same with their choir-boy molesting clergy...
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    If prayer really worked, 'they' would have prayed gays out of existence long ago! Same with their choir-boy molesting clergy...
    And the world would be a great place, no famine, no war, no disasters etc. A loving god would protect us

ok if god sent his son to die in the cross for all ours sins ( that god crate in a first place) why we do have to pray, all ours sins all paid in full already, that's why jesses die or didn't he, lol
    kabra69

l don't get it, if the earth it been here for millions of years and existence of humans for thousands of years, why God appears just 2014 years ago, before the that time where was God? the man who invented god or religion, is the same man that invented the government and the Mafia, this three big mafias will kill you because in the end religion, government and mafia sleep in the same bed,
    kabra69

Quote Originally Posted by kabra69 View Post
    ok if god sent his son to die in the cross for all ours sins ( that god crate in a first place) why we do have to pray, all ours sins all paid in full already, that's why jesses die or didn't he, lol
    Excellent point. My brother in law is a Lutheran. I know so little about it that taking my word for this is folly but... He explained to me that what they believe about forgiveness is a bit different. It's something like this. Forgiveness is not something you take its something you get. You don't even have to know you have it, hell you can be dead and get it. Example. If someone is a bad father and abuses his kids and later in life those kids forgive him. It doesn't matter if he accepts it, knows about it, or cares about it. It can happen years after he dies in fact. That changes nothing, he is still forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by kabra69 View Post
    Oh wait, you were talking about Jesses. Not sure what I did to him/her to need forgiveness. Also what book is the mention of god crating sins? I guess that would be a handy way to ship and store them. Or did you mean they came to us in a crate? Like Amazon Prime free shipping?