+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does praying really work?

I am asking the kajillion dollar question: Does praying really really work?:rotz:

Trillions and trillions of prayers every day asking and begging and pleading for favors. 'Do this' 'Gimme that' 'I want a new car' 'I want a better job'. And most of this praying takes place on Sunday. And I say fine, pray for anything you want. Pray for anything. But...what about the divine plan? Remember that? The divine plan. Long time ago god made a divine plan. Gave it a lot of thought. Decided it was a good plan. Put it into practice. And for billion and billions of years the divine plan has been doing just fine. Now you come along and pray for something. Well, suppose the thing you want isn't in god's divine plan. What do you want him to do? Change his plan? Just for you? Doesn't it seem a little arrogant? It's a divine plan. What's the use of being god if every run-down schmuck with a two dollar prayer book can come along and up your plan? And here's something else, another problem you might have; suppose your prayers aren't answered. What do you say? 'Well it's god's will. God's will be done.' Fine, but if it gods will and he's going to do whatever he wants to anyway; why the bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me. Couldn't you just skip the praying part and get right to his will?

Re: Does praying really work?

For the Christian, praying is like breathing. It is easier to do it than to not do it. We pray for a variety of reasons. For one thing, prayer is a form of serving God (Luke 2:36-38) and obeying Him. We pray because God commands us to pray (Philippians 4:6-7). Prayer is exemplified for us by Christ and the early church (Mark 1:35; Acts 1:14; 2:42; 3:1; 4:23-31; 6:4; 13:1-3). If Jesus thought it was worthwhile to pray, we should also. If He needed to pray to remain in the Father’s will, how much more do we need to pray?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlin View Post
    I am asking the kajillion dollar question: Does praying really really work?:rotz:

Trillions and trillions of prayers every day asking and begging and pleading for favors. 'Do this' 'Gimme that' 'I want a new car' 'I want a better job'. And most of this praying takes place on Sunday. And I say fine, pray for anything you want. Pray for anything. But...what about the divine plan? Remember that? The divine plan. Long time ago god made a divine plan. Gave it a lot of thought. Decided it was a good plan. Put it into practice. And for billion and billions of years the divine plan has been doing just fine. Now you come along and pray for something. Well, suppose the thing you want isn't in god's divine plan. What do you want him to do? Change his plan? Just for you? Doesn't it seem a little arrogant? It's a divine plan. What's the use of being god if every run-down schmuck with a two dollar prayer book can come along and up your plan? And here's something else, another problem you might have; suppose your prayers aren't answered. What do you say? 'Well it's god's will. God's will be done.' Fine, but if it gods will and he's going to do whatever he wants to anyway; why the bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me. Couldn't you just skip the praying part and get right to his will?
    Great question!

Here's what evilbible.com has on it...

Click Here!

I notice that the bible also usually leaves a convenient out...just in case the prayers go unanswered.
    And Jesus answered and said to them, "Truly I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, `Be taken up and cast into the sea,' it will happen. "And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive." (Matthew 21:21-22 NAS)

Amen, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it shall be done for him. Therefore I tell you, all that you ask for in prayer, believe that you will receive it and it shall be yours. (Mark 11:24-25 NAB)

If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. (John 15:7 NAB)
    So, apparently, if your prayers go unanswered, it's your fault, not gods.

You don't 'believe' enough.

rofl
    Last edited by ohein56; 04-02-2014 at 10:09 AM.
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56;1736230
    [URL="http://www.evilbible.com/Jesus_Lied.htm"
    Click Here![/URL]

I notice that the bible also usually leaves a convenient out...just in case the prayers go unanswered.
    You're a real scoundrel aren't you?
    Originally Posted by nomaxim
    Sorry there ''ohein56', but it appears that 'Joecool44' does not have the position that you envision on this topic.

'Joecool44' has, as a matter of routine, refuted most of your accusations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax74 View Post
    Some people have the ability to think critically, some do not. ohein obviously doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    You're a real scoundrel aren't you?
    I'd rather be disliked for something I am, than loved for something I'm not.
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

FIRST, you need to understand WHY Man is expected to pray. Do you believe God is your personal genie and IF you pray in just the right way, you'll get free stuff? Sorry, but that's the business of the Godvernment.

You don't pray for things and favors, you pray to get your mind right for whatever comes along. Mostly, you pray for strength -- especially the strength to overcome temptation.

Quit nagging God for STUFF.

Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
    James 4:3

Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    FIRST, you need to understand WHY Man is expected to pray. Do you believe God is your personal genie and IF you pray in just the right way, you'll get free stuff? Sorry, but that's the business of the Godvernment.

You don't pray for things and favors, you pray to get your mind right for whatever comes along. Mostly, you pray for strength -- especially the strength to overcome temptation.

Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

and YET god is the GREAT BOUNDLESS PROVIDER!? is there/WHAT determines the LIMITS of his PROVIDENCE!? :bah: :1crysad: :judges:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post

so PLEASE tell us about your PRAYERS for your COMING DROP into the CESSPOOL of mankind!? your not HEDGING on god are you!? did you EVER answer from your EXPERTISE about my inquiries of the CASE of JOBe!? i mean SHOULD not any CREDIBLE source of PERFECT knowledge have at least a CREDIBLE answer to ANY question POSED!? just in CASE the FIRE of REALITY reaches the HOUSE of the 'SO' CLAIMED!? :errr: :rotz: : :judges:
    Last edited by lexx; 04-02-2014 at 09:58 PM.
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

I will pray for all of you.

Yes praying really works, you must first have faith and to believe that God sent his son Jesus to die on the cross for all of our sins. Having faith is the key to having prayers answered, then being in doubt. As God will only question your faith, but he will never give up on you.
    I usually pray that God bless my family, that we be safe each and everyday. Mold me in your love, Make new in me that I am your child. God knows your heart, and always thank him for waking up you and your family. And bless each and every meal you conceive.

I don't know if the act of praying works, but I think if you believe in something strongly enough to pray that is half the battle. Many people claim they find strength in prayer, but I wonder if it is more about the ritual and reflective period during prayer or the actual praying that causes them to believe this.

Where are all those links I posted a while back that prove prayer is a farce..........?

Hmm.....

Well, it depends on what you mean. You're never going to get a ton of money if you just sit about and pray for it, but there have been studies which prove that praying for the sick has led to them recovering faster than a control group who was not receiving prayers.

So essentially, yes praying can work. You just have to be praying for the right thing.

but there have been studies which prove that praying for the sick has led to them recovering faster than a control group who was not receiving prayers.

Do you mean studies like this one in the N.Y. Times? I don't want people praying for me, or my loves ones after reading these stories:

Analyzing complications in the 30 days after the operations, the researchers found no differences between those patients who were prayed for and those who were not.

In another of the study's findings, a significantly higher number of the patients who knew that they were being prayed for — 59 percent — suffered complications, compared with 51 percent of those who were uncertain. The authors left open the possibility that this was a chance finding. But they said that being aware of the strangers' prayers also may have caused some of the patients a kind of performance anxiety.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/he...anted=all&_r=0

Meta-studies of the literature in the field have been performed showing evidence only for no effect or a potentially small effect. For instance, a 2006 meta analysis on 14 studies concluded that there is "no discernable effect" while a 2007 systemic review of intercessory prayer reported inconclusive results, noting that 7 of 17 studies had "small, but significant, effect sizes" but the review noted that the most methodologically rigorous studies failed to produce significant findings.[2][3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studies...cessory_prayer
    Last edited by GHOST DOG; 04-10-2014 at 10:04 AM.
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by GHOST DOG View Post
    Do you mean studies like this one in the N.Y. Times?
    Tip of the iceberg!!!!!!!!

I found my links that everyone ignored the first time I posted.

Rusky, check out my links and THEN come back here and comment on prayer, please.

CLICK HERE

Tip of the iceberg!!!!!!!!
    Yes, I looked at all of those sites when I found the N.Y. Times article. Good proofs as far as I'm concerned.
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein