+ Reply to Thread

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

She Didn't Have a Name. You Guys Didn't Name Her

Colton Burpo and his parents, Todd and Sonja Burpo, have regularly shared their story through books, media interviews and speeches at churches across the nation — and now it will be revisited through a feature film.

TriStar Pictures, the production company behind “Heaven Is for Real,” exclusively granted TheBlaze early access to a key scene in the film — one that captures just one of the revelations that eventually led Colton’s parents to believe that their son had a first-hand experience with the afterlife.

The scene focuses on Colton’s claim that he met a sister he never knew he had while he was in heaven. He said the little girl hugged him, told him she was his sister and that she had died in his mother’s “tummy.”

What Colton didn’t know, though, was that his mother had a miscarriage when she was just two months pregnant.

The Burpos, who included this story in their book and have spoken about it openly, said that their son’s revelation was truly eye-opening. It is one of the key moments in the film.
    Watch the scene below:

Re: She Didn't Have a Name. You Guys Didn't Name Her

one that captures just one of the revelations that eventually led Colton’s parents to believe that their son had a first-hand experience with the afterlife.
    Con, from everything I've seen, these experiences are just that......only experiences and they seem real to those who experience them. Even though he didn't die, what the young man has described seems to be liken to a near death experience, so I will treat it as such.

The experiences have been hypothesized in medical journals as having the characteristics of hallucinations,[2][3][4] while parapsychologists and a number of scientists have pointed to them as evidence of an afterlife and mind-body dualism.[5][6][7][8] Religious believers tend to be divided on and uncertain about their interpretation of NDEs, given that while they verify some aspects of the faiths, they also explicitly falsify other aspects.[5] According to the 2013 PLOS ONE article by Thonnard et al., "near-death experiences cannot be considered as imagined event memories. On the contrary, their physiological origins could lead them to be really perceived although not lived in the reality."[9]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-death_experience

In other words (the last paragraph in red) its a hallucination, a perception of heaven, and not a reality.

This is an excerpt from Dr. Susan Blackmore's website:

the details of the NDE may vary with expectations about death. For example, Christians tend to see Jesus in the light, and Hindus see the messengers of Yamraj coming to take them away—and they often refuse to go! (Osis and Haraldsson 1977). However, the general pattern seems to be similar across cultures, suggesting that religious expectations are not responsible for the entire experience or for most of its common features.
    http://www.susanblackmore.co.uk/Chapters/ShermerNDE.htm

Here is a Christian website, called Grace To You that agrees with the skeptics, saying that Colton's story is phony:
    http://www.gty.org/blog/B121018

And this Skeptic website's take on this story is here:
    quote]
    But one also has to wonder, if this were in fact real, than what's the point? Is God hoping this story will convince the skeptics? Then surely he would've revealed something to Colton (about future events, perhaps?) that might have a hope and a prayer of accomplishing these ends. As it happens, "Heaven Is For Real" has just enough in it to be interesting (thus the bestselling status) but not nearly enough to be convincing to anyone with a sufficiently critical eye.
    Here is an interesting tidbit from another skeptic's site:

Colton described the Jesus that he saw with blue eyes. Yes, that is the westernized version of Jesus. The “real” Jesus was from the Middle East and it is unlikely that he had blue eyes. It is likely that Colton had seen many pictures of the modern Jesus and that is what he recalled.
    What Colton didn’t know, though, was that his mother had a miscarriage when she was just two months pregnant.
    And the little boy wouldn't necessarily need to know this miscarriage information beforehand, as he more than likely hallucinated this also, making it a coincidence.

Instead, this episode is simply anecdotal which I'm sorry to inform you, is not evidence at all.
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

Colton was stricken with appendicitis shortly before his fourth birthday. Appendicitis, especially to a four-year-old child can be extremely painful and traumatic.

I'm certain that when his folks brought him to Great Plains Regional Medical Center in North Platte, Ne. he was hurting.

Now I've found out that for about the last forty years or so the anesthetic of choice for a child's surgery in any painful emergency is a drug called Ketamine. It turns out that it is very much in demand for it's psychedelic effects, also.

After all of the reading I've done on this drug and it's effects on the human mind, I'm not one bit surprised that Colton had the hallucinogenic experiences he says he did.

As Timothy Leary would probably say, "This stuff is killer!"
    If the cause of the NDE were purely physiological, the researchers reasoned that all of the patients should have had one because of their similar plight. Psychological factors were ruled out by the researchers, as were the medications taken by the patients. However, the researchers believe that

neurophysiological processes must play some part in NDE. Similar experiences can be induced through electrical stimulation of the temporal lobe (and hence of the hippocampus) during neurosurgery for epilepsy, with high carbon dioxide levels (hypercarbia), and in decreased cerebral perfusion resulting in local cerebral hypoxia as in rapid acceleration during training of fighter pilots, or as in hyperventilation followed by Valsalva manoeuvre. Ketamine-induced experiences resulting from blockage of the NMDA receptor, and the role of endorphin, serotonin, and enkephalin have also been mentioned, as have near-death-like experiences after the use of LSD, psilocarpine, and mescaline.

http://www.skepdic.com/nde.html
    The following is an excerpt from Dr. Karl Jansen's book, Ketamine: Dreams and Realities, in which he documents a man's near-death experience that is identical to a ketamine experience he had later. The man was interviewed after he lost his wife in a tragic fire. The man had a NDE while trying to rescue her. A week later, he took ketamine for the first time in his life. He reported that his ketamine experience was nearly identical to the NDE he had a week later.
    http://www.near-death.com/experiences/lsd03.html

Ketamine: Dreams and Realities is by far the most authoritative and comprehensive book on the subject of ketamine ever scribed.

While the ketamine experience can be vast beyond imagination,
    Dr. Karl Jansen has managed to capture nearly every facet of this

slippery beast in fine detail. Going well beyond an introductory text for the ketamine novice,
    Dreams and Realities explores in depth both the shimmering insights and existential horrors wrapped up in this elusive molecule. A must read for anyone serious about
    unraveling ketamine's many mysteries.
    https://www.maps.org/books/K-DreamsKJansenMAPS.pdf

Ketamine for Conscious Sedation in Pediatric Emergency Care

Rakhee B. Mistry, Milap C. Nahata, PharmD
    DisclosuresPharmacotherapy. 2005;25(8):1104-1111.
    Guidelines for Ketamine Use

A clinical practice guideline stated that ketamine is optimal for sedation during brief procedures that are painful or emotionally disturbing for children, such as fracture reduction and laceration repair.[35] Ketamine is not recommended as a sedative for patients undergoing computed tomography or magnetic resonance imaging, and is contraindicated for infants younger than 3 months and patients with established psychosis. The optimal ketamine dose is 1.5 mg/kg intravenously and 4-5 mg/kg intramuscularly.
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/510622_6

Ketamine has beenproven to be a safe medication for use in children
    [31]
    Tables 2 and 3
    provide
    information regarding drug indications, contraindications, adverse effects, time
    to onset, duration of action, and dosages.
    http://hsc.unm.edu/emermed/ped/physi...0Analgesia.pdf

Ketamine sedation for children in the emergency department.

Priestley SJ1, Taylor J, McAdam CM, Francis P.
    Author information

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To introduce a protocol for dissociative sedation using ketamine for children requiring painful procedures within the emergency department.
    METHOD:

A medical literature search was performed along with a review of existing ketamine-use protocols in emergency departments from Australia and the United States. Our hospital anaesthetic department and our emergency department nursing staff were closely involved in protocol design. A series of nursing education sessions were held prior to the drug being used within the emergency department. Twenty-eight children aged 1.5-12 years were administered ketamine sedation prior to undergoing a painful procedure. Ketamine was administered either i.m. (dose 3-4 mg/kg) or i.v. (dose 1.00-2.75 mg/kg) depending on physician preference. Midazolam (dose 0.02 mg/kg) and atropine (dose 0.02 mg/kg) were given as adjuncts in the majority of cases.
    RESULTS:

Onset of sedation was rapid (range 1-7 min) for both routes and provided excellent procedural conditions. Discharge time averaged 103 min (range 67-180 min) from time of drug administration. Side-effects included vomiting, rash, diplopia, salivation and one case of a distressing emergence reaction. On telephone follow up 1-3 days after the sedation, no delayed adverse events were reported.
    CONCLUSION:

Ketamine is a safe and effective sedative agent for use in children requiring immobilization to enable performance of a painful procedure. It is important to involve both anaesthetic staff and emergency department nursing staff in sedation protocol development to ensure a smooth introduction. We present a protocol for ketamine use in children undergoing painful procedures within the emergency department.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11476419
    Last edited by GHOST DOG; 03-28-2014 at 08:59 AM.
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    Colton Burpo and his parents, Todd and Sonja Burpo, have regularly shared their story through books, media interviews and speeches at churches across the nation — and now it will be revisited through a feature film.

TriStar Pictures, the production company behind “Heaven Is for Real,” exclusively granted TheBlaze early access to a key scene in the film — one that captures just one of the revelations that eventually led Colton’s parents to believe that their son had a first-hand experience with the afterlife.

The scene focuses on Colton’s claim that he met a sister he never knew he had while he was in heaven. He said the little girl hugged him, told him she was his sister and that she had died in his mother’s “tummy.”

The Burpos, who included this story in their book and have spoken about it openly, said that their son’s revelation was truly eye-opening. It is one of the key moments in the film.
    so let me me get this strate!? the ABORTED get an AUTOMATIC ride to HEAVEN!?(did they actually ever leave) and while i know where it says NO 1 is MARRIED in heaven but NOW it's bein suggested NO 1 has a NAME!? they just "AM"!? OK let me guess why!? nobody TALKS in heaven!? they are TOO busy having FUN!? I KNOW..............have the KID go UNDER/OVER again to get MORE info...................:chicken: : :yelcutelaughA: :
    Last edited by lexx; 03-28-2014 at 11:33 AM.
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Watch the scene below:

Well, I'm convinced!! That did it for me, I'm done! I'm now a "believer"...fer sure.

I'd better go get me a bible, and start a thumpin on it...!:crazy1:

Praise the lord!

It's a MIRACLE!!!

Not.:blunt:

Ignorance is the soil in which belief in miracles grows.

~ Robert Green Ingersoll
    Keep yer blinders on.

And, if you run into any facts, hard data or real science,...run away, run away, run away!!!
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    Not.:blunt:
    Psalm 14:1 applies to you:

The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.”
    Originally Posted by nomaxim
    Sorry there ''ohein56', but it appears that 'Joecool44' does not have the position that you envision on this topic.

'Joecool44' has, as a matter of routine, refuted most of your accusations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax74 View Post
    Some people have the ability to think critically, some do not. ohein obviously doesn't.

The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.”
    Maybe a fool would make this type of statement in his "heart," Joe. But he would only be a fool if he never checked into all the possibilities surrounding this myth.

IMHO, a much larger fool would state that there is a God based only on what this book has to say about the subject, his biased emotional agenda about it, and the hearsay he gets from others like himself with the same religiosity "tattoo."

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    Psalm 14:1 applies to you:
    here's a question fer ya!? did jesus come to save the FOOLISH!? :chicken: :rotz: : :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

I have always believed that when we die, we will go to the afterlife in our soul or spirit form, so I think that Colton's experience was real. I even believe in reincarnation, although I'm puzzled how the child grew up like that when her mom had a miscarriage. I heard though that if you die when you're already old or before you were 30, then you will be around 30 in your afterlife spirit form.

speakin a DIED in the TUMMY i wonder HOW many PREGNANT women in the HISTORY of the WORLD were KILLED by war/whatever!? and speakin of WHATEVER the old testament is RIFE with such EXAMPLES dictated by god!? so then is EVERYTHING that HAPPENS then and NOW dictated by god or NOT!? :errr: : : :bah: