+ Reply to Thread

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

"Ghost" Throws Temper Tantrum

Not posting this to convert, just for entertainment value (the action happens 50 sec in:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l?ito=embedded

Store owner Steve Buzzota told WMUR that while objects haven't traveled by themselves before to his knowledge, customers and employees have sensed a ghostly presence and have even 'felt their shoulders being pulled. '

The video was first shared on the Ellacoya Barn & Grille Facebook page which is connected to the store, with the tag line, 'Haunted much?'

Since then, skeptics have questioned the validity of the tape. Some say they think that the glass was yanked from a string out the window. As a WMUR reporter pointed out however, the window doesn't open.

The Mail Online called the store to inquire about the event and other ghostly happenings. What employees and neighbors experienced was more chilling tales of the bizarre.

Employee Nicole Brandt was not at the Ellacoya Country Store at the time that they glass shattered but she said that strange sounds occur from time to time with no apparent source.

She said that when she works at the deli counter cutting meat, she hears people entering the room but when she turns around to greet customers no one is there.

You can't see who's up front,' she said. 'It sounds like someone's there and no one's there.'

She also said that someone could hear whistling sometimes.

She said that the restaurant connected to the house was originally a barn but that the store was once a person's residence. She doesn't know firsthand who lived in the home.

The tenant upstairs from the store chimed in and said he heard strange noises.

He said that after the store is closed and everyone has left the vicinity, he starts hearing noises downstairs as if someone were there.

He can hear what sounds like someone or something coming from up the stairs walking down to the seemingly vacated room.
    Last edited by conserv4ever; 03-26-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Re: "Ghost" Throws Temper Tantrum

BWAAHAHAHAA the ol" ghost to drive business in for a LOOKSEE!? hey if it works, why NOT!? :chicken: : :crazy1: :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Not posting this to convert, just for entertainment value (the action happens 50 sec in:
    Excellent posting, con. I watched the video, read a lot of people's opinions. I think It is probably a case of the cover being precariously installed, not set squarely on the bottom dish, either because it was on another object on the counter, or just plain not set squarely on the dish. Then perhaps a vehicle drove up to the building and it's vibrations caused the cover to slip off.

I noticed in the video that if you stop it at :49 seconds, then start it, you'll see the left front side of the cover raise up ever so slightly first, meaning that it wasn't lifted straight off the dish.

The fact that the cover lifted on the left front first was suspicious to me, because if it was lifted by any hand, or 'entity' it would've probably came straight up first.

It could possibly be the perpetration of a hoax, with some sort of 'actuator' either under the cover set to lift the cover off on the one side after a certain amount of time passed, or an actuator down between the dish and the other objects closer to the camera near the front of the counter where it wouldn't be visible on the counter, lifting the cover's left front side up causing it to come off and roll off the counter and onto the floor.

Because of the jerky action of the slowed down video, its difficult to monitor the speed with which the cover moved off the dish. But you can watch the cover roll around after it fell off the dish, getting too close to the edge of the counter, then falling onto the floor.

A string that would pull the cover off the dish going from left to right wouldn't lift up the left front side of the cover...it would probably pull the entire cover and dish a little bit first, before the cover came off.

At any rate, the story might've helped their customer flow!

This site gives a pretty good critique of the situation.

Here is their final opinion:

My final answer is: the lid was balanced on a book or papers and simply fell off. The movement is exactly consistent with it tipping toward the back of the counter, rolling along its edge, then falling to the floor.

In the video, there’s some bright lights that shine into the store seconds before the lid falls. It, perhaps, is likely that either a vehicle pulled up, causing the building to vibrate, or a door was opened to the outside, also causing vibrations. The lid simply slipped off of its precarious perch and smashed on the floor.
    http://skeptoid.com/blog/2014/03/25/...g-ghost-video/

customers and employees have sensed a ghostly presence and have even 'felt their shoulders being pulled. '
    It seems like there are a lot of the local townspeople who are familiar with the "ghost stories" surrounding this establishment. They, like most folks, are prone to exhibit human tendencies such as the "Autosuggestion" phenomena.

Here again is that summary on Suggestibility from one of the leading authorities on oral transmission of history, Dr. Jan Vansina, that I posted to you the other day:
    Quote:
    1. Eyewitness accounts are always a subjective experience and involve not only perception but also emotions. Witnesses often are not idle standers-by but participants in the events. If there is genuine eyewitness testimony (example given) in the Scriptures, it is from individuals who are not unbiased by-standers but individuals who have a "stake in the claim." This automatically makes their testimony somewhat suspect. 2. An understanding of what happened cannot occur through mere data perception but must be interpreted. Perceptions must be organized in a coherent whole and the logic of the situation supplies missing pieces of observation. If there is genuine eyewitness testimony in Scripture, it is from individuals who had to "make sense" of what they saw. They interpreted what they saw in accordance with their world view, which in the first century, was one in which the supernatural realm (angels, demons, God) regularly invaded the natural realm. So, their testimony is "colored" by their world view, a world-view which is largely rejected since the Enlightenment. 3. The expectation of the event itself distorts its observation.
    People tend to report what they expect to see or hear more than what they actually see or hear. In other words, all personal testimony is subjective. People interpret the events in light of their emotional connection to the person(s) involved and in light of what they see as compatible with their overall set of beliefs about a person or an event. As Vansina says: mediation of perception by memory and emotional state shapes an account. Memory typically selects certain features from the successive perceptions and interprets them according to expectation, previous knowledge, or the logic of “what must have happened,” and fills the gaps in perception. (p.5)So, the claim to eyewitness testimony in Scripture, even if true (and that is far from certain), does not guarantee the authenticity of the events. While many apologists seem to think that this alleged eyewitness testimony is the strongsuit of evangelical Christianity, to me it seems more like an achilles heel.
    Last edited by GHOST DOG; 03-27-2014 at 07:11 AM.
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l?ito=embedded

Store owner Steve Buzzota told WMUR that while objects haven't traveled by themselves before to his knowledge, customers and employees have sensed a ghostly presence and have even 'felt their shoulders being pulled. '

The video was first shared on the Ellacoya Barn & Grille Facebook page which is connected to the store, with the tag line, 'Haunted much?'

Since then, skeptics have questioned the validity of the tape. Some say they think that the glass was yanked from a string out the window. As a WMUR reporter pointed out however, the window doesn't open.

The Mail Online called the store to inquire about the event and other ghostly happenings. What employees and neighbors experienced was more chilling tales of the bizarre.

Employee Nicole Brandt was not at the Ellacoya Country Store at the time that they glass shattered but she said that strange sounds occur from time to time with no apparent source.

She said that when she works at the deli counter cutting meat, she hears people entering the room but when she turns around to greet customers no one is there.

You can't see who's up front,' she said. 'It sounds like someone's there and no one's there.'

She also said that someone could hear whistling sometimes.

She said that the restaurant connected to the house was originally a barn but that the store was once a person's residence. She doesn't know firsthand who lived in the home.

The tenant upstairs from the store chimed in and said he heard strange noises.

He said that after the store is closed and everyone has left the vicinity, he starts hearing noises downstairs as if someone were there.

He can hear what sounds like someone or something coming from up the stairs walking down to the seemingly vacated room.
    I noticed that this is posted in the "Religious Scams" section of the forum.

Perfect place for it...

What does this have to do with religion?

Is this being submitted as 'proof' of the existence of your biblical god somehow?!

Just curious...:blunt:
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

Why are the self professed most brilliant the dumbest among us. For those who have actually SEEN similar things, THEY understand that this is further proof if another world that YOU deny.

The fact that such things make you uncomfortable tells me you know you're losing the debate among the open minded lurkers.

THEY understand that this is further proof if another world that YOU deny.
    Uhhhh.....this is not at all proof of anything "supernatural." Your answer to ohein56 discloses to me that you personally will accept anything, even the slightest "tidbit" of a suggestion to further your agenda of a personal Christian God!

As I stated on another post, I would certainly think that if your personal Christian God was as All-intelligent and All-knowing as you purport him to be, He would've at least been intelligent enough to put together a Self-Written text of instructions for His children (The Christian bible) that wasn't so contradictory, incredible, and overbearing!

In the defense of my position of there is no personal God, this alone stands against proof of this precarious "straw-man God."

Besides, Per the Burden Of Proof, it is up to the person making the extraordinary claim (you) to provide to the experts and to the community at large that his or her belief has more validity than the one almost everyone else accepts.

Theres your assignment con. If you state that there is a personal God spoken of in the Christian bible, prove it.
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

Why are the self professed most brilliant the dumbest among us.
    What was "dumb" about my post above?! Please tell...?!

For those who have actually SEEN similar things, THEY understand that this is further proof if another world that YOU deny.
    So, a lid 'flying' hoax has you convinced that there is a biblical god?! Really?!

Thanks for answering my question!..."Is this being submitted as 'proof' of the existence of your biblical god somehow?!"

Confirmation bias anyone!? Like this...Click Here! :yelcutelaughA:

More "proof"!? ...again, confirmation bias...you must have the "eyes to see"....miracles, tricks, or hoaxes? Click Here!

The fact that such things make you uncomfortable tells me you know you're losing the debate among the open minded lurkers.
    Who's "uncomfortable"?! WTF!??? Not me!...

"Open minded"?! ...you mean gullible, don't you?

Clear thinking individuals that don't get sucked into fantasy and hoaxes makes you "uncomfortable", I think!

Stay focused...:crazy1:
    Last edited by ohein56; 03-27-2014 at 11:42 AM.
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Confirmation bias anyone!? Like this...Click Here! :yelcutelaughA:
    Obviously, a serious lack of objectivity brought on by too many video games! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GHOST DOG View Post
    Obviously, a serious lack of objectivity brought on by too many video games! LOL!!!
    I wonder where he got this..."the self professed most brilliant"?? I don't recall making any claims of my brilliance, or yours?!

Hey...I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I'll be the first to admit it, but I can sense there's a compliment somewhere in that statement for one or both of us!:rasta:

Thanks for noticing, sort of...!
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

I wonder where he got this..."the self professed most brilliant"??
    LOL!! I was speaking of the guy in your video, not con.

But you must understand human emotional connection to an unconfirmed personal truth on a debate board to understand con's reaction to you.

LOL!! I was speaking of the guy in your video, not con.
    I figured that...

But you must understand human emotional connection to an unconfirmed personal truth on a debate board to understand con's reaction to you.
    Yep, I'm wit you there....yep!

It's like they 'took the plunge', at some point, as in took that good ol 'leap of faith', then spend the rest of their waking hours striving to justify their decision, and confirming for themselves that they made the right choice.

It occurred to me the other day that con & a few others have referred to me/us as "god haters"?

I'm not a god hater at all. Just to be clear.

I believe in 'god'. It's just that, my own personal views on what god is are much larger than their narrow, bizarre IMO, 'biblical' beliefs...

The word God has become empty of meaning through thousands of years of misuse. I use it sometimes, but I do so sparingly. By misuse, I mean that people who have never even glimpsed at the realm of the sacred, the infinite vastness behind that word, use it with great conviction, as if they knew what they are talking about. Or, they argue against it, as if they knew what it is that they are denying. This misuse gives rise to absurd beliefs, assertions, and egoic delusions, such as "My or our God is the only true God, and your God is false," or Neitzche's famous statement "God is dead."

~ Eckhart Tolle
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

It's like they 'took the plunge', at some point, as in took that good ol 'leap of faith', then spend the rest of their waking hours striving to justify their decision, and confirming for themselves that they made the right choice.
    I pretty much know what folks like this go through as I was one evanjelical guy for a very long time. I am now free from that yoke of oppression!
    I was continually striving to make sense of what I later came to call an insult to my intelligence, even as low as it is.

I pretty much know what folks like this go through as I was one evanjelical guy for a very long time. I am now free from that yoke of oppression!
    I was continually striving to make sense of what I later came to call an insult to my intelligence, even as low as it is.
    I tried (religion was essentially 'forced' on me) to enroll myself in 'belief' when I was young, I started to go through the process of baptism, w/7th Day Advents, and (thankful for them), they discovered through their 'process' that I was doing it for my Grandmothers approval, not my own personal wishes.

Whew...that was a close one!

I could never make ANY sense of it all, ever....it's (organized religion, the bible etc...), always seemed so ludicrous to me, and especially contradictory, & subject to interpretation etc....
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

As soon as I read that this happened in a store and was shared by the store owner, that immediately raised a red flag to it's authenticity. One of the big down sides to the proliferation of all these ghost shows is that every little business out there is wanting to claim hauntings at their place for free publicity. Have you ever noticed that shows like Ghost Hunters never investigate residential homes on their shows anymore. It's always a business, a museum, a bed & breakfast, what a coincidence...

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    I noticed that this is posted in the "Religious Scams" section of the forum.

Perfect place for it...

What does this have to do with religion?

Is this being submitted as 'proof' of the existence of your biblical god somehow?!

Just curious...:blunt:

Simple minded religious people use their religion as the default. Something falls off a counter or a video is faked and they use it to verify the book of myths they take as fact. For instance, every time a flaw in the theory of evolution comes up they will shout... "See, the Bible is right!"

They also use it as an excuse to keep others down. Gays, other races etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotom76 View Post
    As soon as I read that this happened in a store and was shared by the store owner, that immediately raised a red flag to it's authenticity. One of the big down sides to the proliferation of all these ghost shows is that every little business out there is wanting to claim hauntings at their place for free publicity. Have you ever noticed that shows like Ghost Hunters never investigate residential homes on their shows anymore. It's always a business, a museum, a bed & breakfast, what a coincidence...
    Those shows crack me up. I love it when they talk about orbs. The floating balls of light that prove ghosts exist. LOL. What they prove is a floating bit of dust that is out of focus can look like a big orb. They should look up "Circle of Confusion".

No "Circle of Confusion" is not the bible study class that conserv4ever attends.

Snap.