+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why don't churches pay taxes ?

Is the separation between church and state a myth or something?!! Why don't churches pay taxes?! Wasn't this country founded on this whole ideal in the Bill Of Rights against churches?

In English, the exact term is an offshoot of the phrase, "wall of separation between church and state", as written in Thomas Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1802. In that letter, referencing the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, Jefferson writes: "Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State."
    Come on people. There is a serious deficit in the United States. Imagine churches paying taxes instead of millions of molested boys and the scumbag lawyers that protect them. Then the other money that gets sent to the Mafia Vatican.....those inside priests are using that money and buying male h00kers. Enough is enough.

Yawn... is offline I ain't got time for pedantic Ghandi type internet nerds User Rank

Re: Why don't churches pay taxes ?

Because Congress said so.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Is the separation between church and state a myth or something?!! Why don't churches pay taxes?! Wasn't this country founded on this whole ideal in the Bill Of Rights against churches?

Come on people. There is a serious deficit in the United States. Imagine churches paying taxes instead of millions of molested boys and the scumbag lawyers that protect them. Then the other money that gets sent to the Mafia Vatican.....those inside priests are using that money and buying male h00kers. Enough is enough.
    Churches are not for profit, which is why they qualify for tax exempt status. You seem hellbent on condemning an entire entity for the wrongs of a few. Sure those few need to be dealt with, but to take away a tax exempt status of an entire organization is ridiculous.

I think it is because churches are not business entities. They do not make profits from preaching the word of God. But I think most churches are making a fortune from the donations they are given by the congregation. You can see some preachers living a lavish lifestyle. It is good to pay taxes sometimes.

No pastor/preacher should live a lifestyle that is better than the median of their congregation.

Personally I feel there should be no mega churches. Once a church reaches a certain number of member it should split geographically. The limit should be about 500 families.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
    No pastor/preacher should live a lifestyle that is better than the median of their congregation.

Personally I feel there should be no mega churches. Once a church reaches a certain number of member it should split geographically. The limit should be about 500 families.
    Just so we have some scale. The NFL (national football league) is non profit and doesn't pay taxes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomwatso...e-a-nonprofit/

The National Football League takes in more than $9.5 billion per year and is exempt from Federal taxes. As a nonprofit, it earns more than the Y, the Red Cross, Goodwill, the Salvation Army or Catholic Charities – yet it stands as one of the greatest profit-generating commercial advertising, entertainment and media enterprises ever created.

And yes, church pastors should not be living high on the hog and I believe most do not. I belong to a small church and our pastor receives only a small stipend and has a job outside the church to support his family.
    Last edited by Joecool44; 03-06-2014 at 06:44 PM.
    Originally Posted by nomaxim
    Sorry there ''ohein56', but it appears that 'Joecool44' does not have the position that you envision on this topic.

'Joecool44' has, as a matter of routine, refuted most of your accusations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax74 View Post
    Some people have the ability to think critically, some do not. ohein obviously doesn't.

I found an interesting article stating that 86 billion a year goes to organized religion a year:

When people donate to religious groups, it's tax-deductible. Churches don't pay property taxes on their land or buildings. When they buy stuff, they don't pay sales taxes. When they sell stuff at a profit, they don't pay capital gains tax. If they spend less than they take in, they don't pay corporate income taxes. Priests, ministers, rabbis and the like get "parsonage exemptions" that let them deduct mortgage payments, rent and other living expenses when they're doing their income taxes. They also are the only group allowed to opt out of Social Security taxes (and benefits).
    Great Article Washington Post

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    Just so we have some scale. The NFL (national football league) is non profit and doesn't pay taxes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomwatso...e-a-nonprofit/

And yes, church pastors should not be living high on the hog and I believe most do not. I belong to a small church and our pastor receives only a small stipend and has a job outside the church to support his family.
    I would support a movement to make the NFL pay taxes, as they are clearly in it for the money, especially the individual team franchises. It is not even close to compare that organization with religious groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
    I would support a movement to make the NFL pay taxes, as they are clearly in it for the money, especially the individual team franchises. It is not even close to compare that organization with religious groups.
    I agree. Many churches provide valuable services to people that take the burden off the government. For example, our church has assisted some people with rent money so they could avoid becoming homeless. We have outreach where we give food and supplies to people so they don't need to ask for government assistance. While it may not seem like much, having less people dependent on government is still a good thing.
    Originally Posted by nomaxim
    Sorry there ''ohein56', but it appears that 'Joecool44' does not have the position that you envision on this topic.

'Joecool44' has, as a matter of routine, refuted most of your accusations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax74 View Post
    Some people have the ability to think critically, some do not. ohein obviously doesn't.

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post 'Thou shalt not steal,' 'Thou shalt not commit adultery,' and 'Thou shalt not lie' in a building full of lawyers, judges, and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment.

If churches want to play the game of politics, let them pay admission like everyone else.

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Bill of Rights AGAINST Churches????

Are you silly or STUPID. The very FIRST part of the First Amendment was a restriction of the Government from getting involved in the affairs of the Church. I know the worshipers of Godvernment want that money, but the Church is to be SEPARATE and distinct from the Godvernment. If they vere forced to pay taxes, they become servants of the State.

You Libtards, the President, and Congress need to keep your greedy hands out of the Church.

Congress Shall Make NO LAW respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    I agree. Many churches provide valuable services to people that take the burden off the government. For example, our church has assisted some people with rent money so they could avoid becoming homeless. We have outreach where we give food and supplies to people so they don't need to ask for government assistance. While it may not seem like much, having less people dependent on government is still a good thing.
    And that pisses off THIS current regime and the libs who put him into office. They see citizens doing those things as the enemy of the State. They believe all "charity" should come from the Godvernment.

These greedy snakes want the power that brings over the lives of the People. They're all about CONTROL.

Pure idiocy. The libtard believes all money is really the Godvernments. And IF you don't give them what THEY think they deserve, they call that a "government subsidy"

Sorry, greed bastard, but the money you earn is YOURS and the money you "give" to them is your subsidy to thew greedy bastards in Washington. Time to stop feeding the Beast. A well fed governmet only gets more hungry and more greedy. Time to STARVE the greedy Beast.

Exemptions are NOT Subsidies.

Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    Bill of Rights AGAINST Churches????

Are you silly or STUPID. The very FIRST part of the First Amendment was a restriction of the Government from getting involved in the affairs of the Church. I know the worshipers of Godvernment want that money, but the Church is to be SEPARATE and distinct from the Godvernment. If they vere forced to pay taxes, they become servants of the State.

You Libtards, the President, and Congress need to keep your greedy hands out of the Church.

Congress Shall Make NO LAW respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

SO you are SAYING that THIS gaming the SYSTEM is PROTECTED!? while WELFARE is the DIRTY DOG to be HOUNDED!? it's ALL in the NAMING i guess!? welcome to POLITICS as USUAL!? :bah: : :spin2:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    And that pisses off THIS current regime and the libs who put him into office. They see citizens doing those things as the enemy of the State. They believe all "charity" should come from the Godvernment.

These greedy snakes want the power that brings over the lives of the People. They're all about CONTROL.

speaking of SNAKES where do YOU think the FLAG/PHRASE "dont TREAD on ME" originates!? : :rotz: :spin2:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Because that's the law. But more specifically, because there's a huge church lobby. The churches donate tons to politicians so politicians, who are the ones who create the law, make sure that they (the churches) don't have to pay taxes.