+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Son Of God Movie Review

Going to see the movie right now. Sick of watching the Ukraine news and need some God. I will give you my Son of God Movie Review when I get back. Here's the trailer:

Has anyone seen it yet. Jesus is bringing sexy back. Spoiler alert....he dies in the end.....but then there's a M Knight Shamalon twist that I won't reveal afterwards.

Re: Son Of God Movie Review

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Going to see the movie right now. Sick of watching the Ukraine news and need some God. I will give you my Son of God Movie Review when I get back. Here's the trailer:

Has anyone seen it yet. Jesus is bringing sexy back. Spoiler alert....he dies in the end.....but then there's a M Knight Shamalon twist that I won't reveal afterwards.
    Sorry to piss on your parade, but "Rotten Tomatoes" review of it by the fans mostly call it a stinker.

A miserable 25% favorability....http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/son_of_god_2014/
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

I thought it was fantastic. Great acting, I knew the story, a few creative addins, I even teared up a few times. Beautiful movie.

Rotten Tomatoes can go to hell

I thought it was fantastic. Great acting, I knew the story, a few creative addins, I even teared up a few times. Beautiful movie.
    The creators of the movie are probably grateful that folks like you are easy to please. They only wish that there were more of you.
    Rotten Tomatoes can go to hell
    It isn't Rotten Tomatoes fault. They're only a forum for people to register their experiences of movies.
    Its the reviews of these folks that raked this 'pig' over the coals.
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

There used to be a movie review site called Mr Cranky and all he did was tear apart movies. He was the original hater....and it was true comedy too.

I thought Son of God was better than the Passion.
    Son of God was the best Jesus movie I have ever seen.:judges:

Then it was even better than the original story line, I take it.

Or maybe its much more believable when its put on film and acted out by trained actors?

According to not just Rotten Tomatoes but most every major reviewing website, except for the Christian ones, you are among the minority.

The film attempts to chronicle the life of Jesus from His birth through His adult teaching, arrest, crucifixion, and resurrection; however, many scenes are skipped over. For instance, after a brief manger scene, the story suddenly jumps to Jesus as an adult. Too few miracles and parables — essential to a real understanding of God the Son — made the final cut. And not a single demon was cast out.
    http://www.thenewamerican.com/review...-at-box-office

Roger Ebert's website gave it only two stars:

"Son of God" is explicitly for Christian audiences (I saw it with a church group, who applauded mightily as the credits started to roll), opening with a dreamy voiceover from the Apostle John telling us how God has always been there, as we see images of fighting dinosaurs, (??) Noah's Ark crashing through the waves, and a "Blue Lagoon"-style glimpse of Adam and Eve in the Garden. It's heavy-handed and melodramatic, openly sentimental, and extremely earnest. "Son of God"'s earnest-ness is not necessarily a strike against it; it was made by earnest people who want to spread the word. But it's a tough draught to swallow if you're not in the mood for a sermon.
    When Jesus (played by Portuguese actor Diogo Morgado), first approaches the fisherman Peter (Darwin Shaw), loading up his boat in the dead-calm Sea of Galilee, Jesus smiles knowingly at Peter like he's got a secret. Peter tells him there are no fish out there, and Jesus, smirking, runs his hands through the water and Presto! Peter's net is filled with fish. Jesus' miracles come off as party tricks throughout the film, with the watching crowd breathing "Oooh!" as something incredible happens.
    Filmed like a blockbuster epic, with quick cuts, hi-definition photography, a moody insistent score by Lorne Balfe, and some awkward repetitive CGI shots of what is clearly a model of the Temple in Jerusalem, "Son of God" features a pretty bad script, especially when all of the Apostles are talking amongst themselves about Jesus' message and what it all will lead to. "We have to take his message straight to the heart of power," one Apostle helpfully exclaims. Or Pilate, looking on as Jesus is dragged out to be tortured, murmuring, "It's as if he knows that this must happen."
    http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/son-of-god-2014

Aside from being a card carrying atheist, I'm also sort of a movie snob (I LOVE great, well made movies).

Between those two personality traits, I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing this turkey.

Didn't see The Passion, or Jesus Christ SuperStar, Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments, or Son of God...been there done that. Thank you very much.

For me, it's a waste of time and money. JBH

If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul. ~ Isaac Asimov

There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. - Frank Zappa.

How do I know the Bible isn't the word of God? Well if it was the word of God it would be clear and easy to understand...considering God was the creator of LANGUAGE! - Bill Hicks.
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

There used to be a movie review site called Mr Cranky and all he did was tear apart movies

. He was the original hater....and it was true comedy too.

Glad to hear you give an honest /personal review in this pit of God Hating snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    Glad to hear you give an honest /personal review in this pit of God Hating snakes.
    You have me all wrong!

I don't hate god, mostly, I abhor what men do to others in the name of god...hypocrites make me want to puke.:2gunsfiring_v1:

That's my "honest personal review"...
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

It isn't reasonable to hate something which doesn't exist.....its much more reasonable to hate the misinformation and the stupidity that abounds out there over this myth.

Ohein56 I will seriously pray that God can touch your life someday and you come around. Even though I don't know you, I feel profound sadness hearing you have that void in your life.

Thanks for the other movie reviews, I like a solid thread on topic.

If you are an Atheist, then watch the movie. Open your mind and heart and maybe something will happen. Don't be fearful of something that you OBVIOUSLY think is false. Watch it, open your mind, then shoot holes in it afterwards here if you want. You can't comment unless you see it.

And Conserv, thank you and God Bless you and your family.:

Yes I am a Christian, I do hate all organized religions, and YES the Son of God movie is awesome:judges:
    Last edited by Administrator; 03-05-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Ohein56 I will seriously pray that God can touch your life someday and you come around.

Translation: "You aren't good, or right in the head the way your thinking now....you need to be just like me? Yeah! I've got THE TRUTH!"
    Last edited by GHOST DOG; 03-05-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    Aside from being a card carrying atheist, I'm also sort of a movie snob (I LOVE great, well made movies).
    This was a pretty good movie. You've already judged it without seeing it.

Didn't see The Passion, or Jesus Christ SuperStar, Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments, or Son of God...been there done that. Thank you very much.
    Apparently you haven't been there or done that.

If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul. ~ Isaac Asimov
    First off, nobody is without sin. Sort of the point of the movie. Secondly, Jesus didn't come to minister to the righteous, he came to save the sinners.

Heaven isn't for good people, it's for forgiven people.
    Originally Posted by nomaxim
    Sorry there ''ohein56', but it appears that 'Joecool44' does not have the position that you envision on this topic.

'Joecool44' has, as a matter of routine, refuted most of your accusations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax74 View Post
    Some people have the ability to think critically, some do not. ohein obviously doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post

First off, nobody is without sin. Sort of the point of the movie. Secondly, Jesus didn't come to minister to the righteous, he came to save the sinners.

what do you think?! can ALL sinners get to heaven by MOVING to HAWAII!? or is that a REWARD if you PLAY ALONG!? by the way.......got an extra ROOM available!? :nervouss::spin2::freak3: :elvis:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza. View Post
    One cannot hate something which does not exist any more than one can love something which does not exist.

Your hate, however, is palpable.

If THIS is what religion does to people, I want nothing to do with it.

YAH but are you sayin you DONT hate anything!? i mean WHO has to CONSIDER their own HATES/DISSATISFACTION little or BIG in regards to the GENERAL/respected success's of their lives!? and what does HATE mean anyway!? DISpleasure!? or something MORE!? what does DEgrees have to do with it!? is it the HEAT that gets to ya if cant afford COOLING!? :bah: :freak3: :spin2: :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post

wait a minute EXPLAIN that 1!? heaven is NOT for GOOD people!? wait.................i know..........HAWAII is for GOOD people!? ok SCREW heaven i'll take the SURE THING!? :liefde: :freak3: :spin2: :judges:
    Last edited by lexx; 03-05-2014 at 09:37 PM.