+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Extinctions

Extinctions

This gets me very worried when I read about certain animals and their species facing extinctions. Here is a website that covers some of it.

http://es.geocities.com/prepa7animals/index.htm

Any thoughts on this and what mankind can do to prevent this from happening.

Re: Extinctions

Honestly, I don't think we're ever going to prevent extinctions. Firstly, species go extinct all the time, even without our help. Secondly, we do have an impact on the environment, and no matter how much we try to minimise it this fact isn't going to change.

That said, I think we need to be careful. If the polar bears go extinct it's not going to affect much, but if the bees go extinct then we're in some serious trouble. It's our entire attitude towards the environment that needs to change. Rather than looking at the environment as a resource that we can liquidate and exploit, we need to recognise that the environment supports us, and find a way to live renewably. Any alternative is going to lead to enormous hardships for future generations.

didn't i see a documentary on the jap/chinese HAND POLLINATING fruit trees because the bees had disappeared!?:freak3: :judges: : heeh!!.....just askn..
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by lexx View Post
    didn't i see a documentary on the jap/chinese HAND POLLINATING fruit trees because the bees had disappeared!?:freak3: :judges: : heeh!!.....just askn..
    Yes I saw the same show...but, there is no way in hell I'm stapping on wings and a yellow and black stripe tshirt to do the job!...Just don't do it!
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours View Post
    Yes I saw the same show...but, there is no way in hell I'm stapping on wings and a yellow and black stripe tshirt to do the job!...Just don't do it!
    There's something called Q-tips. Perhaps you've heard of them?
    HASTA LA VISTA
    SEE YOU NEXT PROGRAM

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by furbearingbrick View Post
    There's something called Q-tips. Perhaps you've heard of them?
    Those won't keep me in the air!
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours View Post
    we often hand polinate using q-tips in our small garden even though this last summer we had honey bees present. Its do-able with a small garden but I can't imagine doing it on a large scale.
    I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck. ~Emma Goldman

how about training kids in school to fly those toy micro helicopters to do the job of pollination!?:freak3: :judges: :spin2: hehe!!....just askn...
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

The easy solution would be to look for "self-pollinating" species to plant!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete View Post
    The easy solution would be to look for "self-pollinating" species to plant!
    like corn!!!
    I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck. ~Emma Goldman

I believe the bees do alot more than q-tips and self-polenating plants would ever cure.