+ Reply to Thread

Internet Forum as Verbal Video Game

Internet Forum as Verbal Video Game

I claim that when we make an Internet discussion into a “debate” we are often trying to derive the same titillation as we receive from a video game. We are transforming the forum into a ‘verbal video game’. This gives us the pleasure similar to that received by playing a video game; but has the detrimental effect of inhibiting learning.

I once took acting lessons and our professor taught us “method acting”, which is founded upon the premise that, as Stella Adler said “We are what we do, not what we say”. This means that when I make the bodily actions of conflict I will feel conflict.

In the ordinary code of “debate” one must develop an anti-thesis in order for there to be a contest. We do this because it is this contest that brings to us the titillation similar to that derived by the video game.

This ant-thesis acts as a means for conflict and thus an inhibiting fashion for our ability to learn.

“One’s experience of doubt is a fully embodied experience of hesitation, withholding of assent, felt bodily tension, and general bodily restriction. Such felt bodily experiences are not merely accomplishments of doubt; rather, they are your doubt…Doubt retards or stops the harmonious flow of experience that preceded the doubt. You feel the restriction and tension of your diaphragm, your breathing, and perhaps in your gut. The meaning of doubt is precisely this bodily experience of holding back assent and feeling a blockage of the free flow of experience toward new thoughts, feelings, and experiences

We must learn to entertain a new idea without either accepting it or rejecting it until we have prepared our self to form a considered opinion of the matter.

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
    Aristotle

Quotations from “The Meaning of the Body” by Mark Johnson

Re: Internet Forum as Verbal Video Game

Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    We must learn to entertain a new idea without either accepting it or rejecting it until we have prepared our self to form a considered opinion of the matter.
    But the above quote is precisely the following:

Doubt retards or stops the harmonious flow of experience that preceded the doubt. You feel the restriction and tension of your diaphragm, your breathing, and perhaps in your gut. The meaning of doubt is precisely this bodily experience of holding back assent and feeling a blockage of the free flow of experience toward new thoughts, feelings, and experiences
    You must doubt in order to prevent yourself becoming too enamoured with your own opinion. Debate can be a great way to do this, if it is carried out with an open mind. What better way to entertain a thought, especially one you don't believe in, than to lay it bare in front of an audience?

I don't believe that conflict is at all inhibiting to learning. Without conflict we're just echo chambers, endlessly reinforcing our own biases.

so arn't the everyday interactions of living full of conflict!?inflicting a "con" or guarding against a con being inflicted on you!?why and how anything becomes a "con" in the first instance is worthy of some educated/open/debate!?i am referring to terms as we commonly understand them!?pro and con!?:crazy1: : :judges: hehe!!.....just askn...
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

of course,the main thrust of this thread is entertainment!?using the video game as an example because of it's 1 against the many/other scenario!?so we see that there may be 2 basic attitudes to entertainment!?active and passive!?why are some perfectly content with the passive while others must seek out the active!?what does age/time/economics/personal character have to contribute to this "game"!?:crazy1: : :judges: hehe!!......just askn...
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

maybe it's more directed towards what entertainment has to do with learning!?if entertainment is so popular,there must be a way to make it a learning experience!?or does it already serve that purpose!?it's just up to the individual to attemp to "take the reigns" and get the full and right benefit from it!?:crazy1: : :judges: hehe!!.....just askn...