+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As if on cue

As if on cue

In honor of the ancient thread Bibleman dug out about God and Jesus not keeping promises...

A Kentucky snake-handling preacher who appeared in a television show about the religious practice has died of a snakebite after refusing medical treatment…

Jamie Coots was found dead about 10pm local time on Saturday at his house in Middlesboro, Kentucky, according to Middlesboro police chief Jeff Sharpe.

Emergency personnel had gone to his home about 90 minutes earlier after getting a call, police said. They found Coots suffering from a snakebite wound to his right hand, Sharpe said in a statement.

“After examination and discussion of possible dangers if the wound was not treated, treatment and transport to the hospital was refused,” the statement said.

The emergency responders left after failing to persuade Coots to get help but returned less than an hour later, the statement said.

They “discovered Mr Coots had passed away, apparently due to a venomous snakebite”, it said.

Coots appeared in a National Geographic television show titled Snake Salvation about Pentecostal preachers who defy the law to use serpents as part of their religious services.

Snake-handling, which is illegal in most places, is practised as a test of faith and guided by the theory that true believers will not be harmed.

It is particularly popular in parts of Appalachia. Middlesboro lies near the junction of Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee and is about 60 miles (100 km) north of Knoxville, Tennessee…
    http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2014/02/1...rd-contenders/

Yawn... is offline I ain't got time for pedantic Ghandi type internet nerds User Rank

Re: As if on cue

Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    In honor of the ancient thread Bibleman dug out about God and Jesus not keeping promises...

The Score:
    Jesus: 0
    Snake: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Yawn... View Post
    The Score:
    Jesus: 0
    Snake: 1

Maybe instead of outlawing the practice it should be mandatory? People that say that every word of the bible is truth and have faith should welcome it.

There it is. A contradiction between the bible and reality.
    Of course, snake handlers out there will just pass it off as if he didn't have enough faith, or he let doubt slip in like Peter did when he took his eyes of Jesus and began to sink below the water....

Mark:

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Acts:
    3 And when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks, and laid them on the fire, there came a viper out of the heat, and fastened on his hand.

4 And when the barbarians saw the venomous beast hang on his hand, they said among themselves, No doubt this man is a murderer, whom, though he hath escaped the sea, yet vengeance suffereth not to live.

5 And he shook off the beast into the fire, and felt no harm.

6 Howbeit they looked when he should have swollen, or fallen down dead suddenly: but after they had looked a great while, and saw no harm come to him, they changed their minds, and said that he was a god.

Quote Originally Posted by bibleman View Post
    There it is. A contradiction between the bible and reality.
    Of course, snake handlers out there will just pass it off as if he didn't have enough faith, or he let doubt slip in like Peter did when he took his eyes of Jesus and began to sink below the water....
    I spent 14 years in a baptist church and the concept of "once saved, always saved" comes to mind. The baptists teach that once you are saved it's good for life but when confronted with someone who went bad they will claim he wasn't really saved.

If there is a god, he's laughing his ass of at Jamie Coots AND his followers.

Nothing left of him now but his birdy finger...a fitting little message from 'god'? Maybe so...at least it's nice to see that he has a sense of humor about all of this.

Too funny.

I wonder how it effects the flocks faith? In their twisted, delusional minds, it probably strengthens it...ing1:
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    If there is a god, he's laughing his ass of at Jamie Coots AND his followers.

Nothing left of him now but his birdy finger...a fitting little message from 'god'? Maybe so...at least it's nice to see that he has a sense of humor about all of this.

Too funny.

I wonder how it effects the flocks faith? In their twisted, delusional minds, it probably strengthens it...ing1:
    I bet they would say his faith wavered or some such.

I bet they would say his faith wavered or some such.
    Of course!

Faith is the common denominator. Without their child-like faith, they don't have a case at all.
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

I spent 14 years in a baptist church and the concept of "once saved, always saved" comes to mind. The baptists teach that once you are saved it's good for life but when confronted with someone who went bad they will claim he wasn't really saved.

Yeah, I have first hand experience with the baptists too. They don't have a leg to stand on with that doctrine. It doesn't pass the bible test OR the common sense one.

Trying to show them the fallacy...well....you may as well talk to a brick wall.

Yeah, I have first hand experience with the baptists too. They don't have a leg to stand on with that doctrine. It doesn't pass the bible test OR the common sense one.

Trying to show them the fallacy...well....you may as well talk to a brick wall.
    Indeed. Once i was debating one about alcohol. (I'm paraphrasing here as I'm too lazy to look it up and I'm no biblical scholar). He showed me the verse in Timothy IIRC that says something like "you should not drink to excess". No bullshit he had his thumb over the last part about excess.

The old joke that baptists are the ones that don't speak to you in the liqueur store comes to mind.

One of my greatest teachers was an ex-baptist minister....also, he was a P.H.D.
    When he felt that he could no longer teach his people that there was a hell and that it was a lake of fire, he went to his higher-up and told him he was leaving the ministry.

His boss told him that this must by God's wish for him, but also that he wouldn't be surprised if George, (my teacher) didn't die soon from some form of cancer!

As he left his administrator's office, he remembered that there was a huge thunderstorm going on outside, at the time.
    He was certain that lightning would strike him dead as he crossed the open field!

Fear can be quite a powerful motivator in most people. This is a great "boon" to all religions, but only a stumbling block for those of us who've found that life is best served by perceiving facts and reason..leaving conjecture and myth to take care of themselves.
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

i was thinkin does this have anything to do with TEMPTING god!? i was also speculating that the scripture on the snake bite for all we know that particular snake may have been DEVOID of poison for whatever fluke genetic/other factor and THAT was gods work so to speak and pauls luck so to speak!? : :crazy1: :chicken:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Indeed. Once i was debating one about alcohol. (I'm paraphrasing here as I'm too lazy to look it up and I'm no biblical scholar). He showed me the verse in Timothy IIRC that says something like "you should not drink to excess". No bullshit he had his thumb over the last part about excess.

The old joke that baptists are the ones that don't speak to you in the liqueur store comes to mind.

On the flip side of that, we have the holiness doctrine folks out there claiming that if you drink one beer because you know that five gets you drunk, then you're 1/5th drunk and in danger of hell....

Bad interpretation on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by GHOST DOG View Post
    Fear can be quite a powerful motivator in most people.

Yeah, and I think that in the modern world these fear-mongers' own fear is that through reason, analysis, and open conversations, they are losing their foothold on the emotions of the masses.

Yeah, and I think that in the modern world these fear-mongers' own fear is that through reason, analysis, and open conversations, they are losing their foothold on the emotions of the masses.
    I think that you'll find that the most fearful of these folks are the ones that need to control not just their lives, but also the lives of others.

For them, one life to control isn't enough.

George was also fearful....but not fearful of a God's wrath. Knowing him as I did, he was fearful of teaching others to be fearful of life.
    Last edited by GHOST DOG; 02-19-2014 at 07:25 PM.
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

yah but if you just THINK and DONT KNOW for SURE what good is THAT?! what makes you DIFF from any INTELLECTUAL SIDELINER/PLAYER!? i mean HOW many people have ACCESS to any INFO apart from the DESPERATION of their OWN situation!? in a TIMELY manner you might say!? i mean what HAPPENED to the GOOD NEWS as it's called!? :nervouss: :2gunsfiring_v1: :chicken:
    Last edited by lexx; 02-19-2014 at 08:37 PM.
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you