+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

Bet They Believe in Global Warming Too

One in four Americans 'do not know the Earth circles the Sun'

One in four Americans are completely unfamiliar with Nicolaus Copernicus's 1543 theory that the Earth circles the Sun, according to a study by the National Science Foundation.

The survey, released on Friday at an annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, asked 2,200 people nine factual questions about physical and biological science, with the average score being just 5.8 correct answers.

The question - "Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth" - was answered incorrectly by 26 per cent of respondents. Again, the ARROGANCE of Liberalism

Fewer than half of the respondents - 48 per cent - are aware that humans evolved from earlier species of animals and just 39 percent answered correctly that "the universe began with a huge explosion". (some may be "aware" but just don't accept this THEORY )

A total of 42 per cent of Americans said that astrology is either "very scientific" or "sort of scientific".

Re: Bet They Believe in Global Warming Too

i dont KNOW about EVERYONE else here or ELSEWHERE but i think conserveforever is PRICELESS!? since here he has brought up ASTROLOGY as a SCIENCE!? but what kind of science is it!? the science of KNOWING?! by reading the SIGNS in the HEAVENS!? of course like any OTHER science it is ROTH with CHEAP KNOCKOFFS!? and on @nd thought, was WROTH suppose ta have a "W".........get it!?.....a "W" watch and learn carl.......:madgo::rotz: :yelcutelaughA: :spin2:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

And it's even more entertaining when you can't read or lack basic reading comprehension skills.

Wanna know who else believes in Global Warming Lexx?

In a major address at Georgetown University Tuesday, President Barack Obama referred derogatorily to deniers of climate change as members of a "Flat Earth Society." But the Flat Earth Society is a real group, and its president says he believes climate change is real. He also doesn't like being used as an example of backward thinking on the issue.

"For what it's worth, the Flat Earth Society doesn't have an 'official' position on climate change. That falls a bit outside our remit," Flat Earth Soceity President Daniel Shenton told Business Insider in an email from England.
    "Personally, though, I believe the evidence available does support the position that climate change is at least partially influenced by human industrialisation."
    Shenton said that Obama should refer to more mainstream groups — like the American Enterprise Institute — the next time he needs a joke in a speech.
    "So if President Obama wants to reference people that actively deny anthropogenic climate change, he'd probably be better served by citing groups like the American Enterprise Institute rather than the Flat Earth Society," Shenton said.

Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    One in four Americans 'do not know the Earth circles the Sun'

One in four Americans are completely unfamiliar with Nicolaus Copernicus's 1543 theory that the Earth circles the Sun, according to a study by the National Science Foundation.

The survey, released on Friday at an annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, asked 2,200 people nine factual questions about physical and biological science, with the average score being just 5.8 correct answers.

The question - "Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth" - was answered incorrectly by 26 per cent of respondents. Again, the ARROGANCE of Liberalism

Fewer than half of the respondents - 48 per cent - are aware that humans evolved from earlier species of animals and just 39 percent answered correctly that "the universe began with a huge explosion". (some may be "aware" but just don't accept this THEORY )

A total of 42 per cent of Americans said that astrology is either "very scientific" or "sort of scientific".

I really hope you are being funny in this post too. Because no matter how you look at it this makes American's look dumb.

Either way I'd be interested in seeing the correlation between these topics.

Also I don't suppose you could provide a link to your original article. I know many users would actually like to read the entire things.

edit: no worries found the same article on a different site:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...s-the-Sun.html

Belief in astrology over science seems to be growing. In 2004, 66 per cent of Americans thought astrology was nonsense. "Fewer Americans rejected astrology in 2012 than in recent years," the 2014 Science and Engineering Indicators report said.

"The comparable percentage has not been this low since 1983."

In contrast, a study in China has shown that 92 per cent of people there believe horoscopes are unscientific.
    This part is interesting I wonder if china's economic growth, and superior technology have anything to do with the general public acceptance of science in general.
    Last edited by Spector567; 02-15-2014 at 07:25 PM.

i have a THEORY...carl thinks BELIEF in a god requires RATIONAL thinking and FACTS knowledge!? and if you NEGLECT these NECESSARY pre-REQUISITES to MIRACLES, we are DOOMED as KINGS of the WORLD!? well, top DOG anyway!? carl trusts GLENN when he says......you CAN have it ALL!? i think that's what he said......meant : :rotz: :crazy1: :elvis:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

SOME of it is PROVABLE SCIENCE. I accept that. What I was disputing, is the arrogance of the Left that IF you don't accept a current scientific THEORY, you're uneducated or ignorant of the theory.

What I found funny is that they lumped, in that survey, PROVABLE SCIENTIFIC FACTS along with current THEORY (evolution, global warming etc). I understand that you don't see the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Spector567 View Post
    I really hope you are being funny in this post too. Because no matter how you look at it this makes American's look dumb.

Either way I'd be interested in seeing the correlation between these topics.

Also I don't suppose you could provide a link to your original article. I know many users would actually like to read the entire things.

edit: no worries found the same article on a different site:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...s-the-Sun.html

This part is interesting I wonder if china's economic growth, and superior technology have anything to do with the general public acceptance of science in general.

No, their "growth" comes from slave labor and they steal technology from the West. You're hatred of America (bet you suffer penis envy too) colors your perception of that evil Communist nation.

No, their "growth" comes from slave labor and they steal technology from the West. You're hatred of America (bet you suffer penis envy too) colors your perception of that evil Communist nation.

your saying no matter HOW smart they get, they CANT invent ANYTHING themselves!? so here's an IDEA lets STOP inventing things OVER HERE, and then.................WE'RE SAFE!? YAH, i know, that's WAY to SIMPLISTIC for political discussions!? : :rotz: :spin2: :chicken:

SOME of it is PROVABLE SCIENCE. I accept that. What I was disputing, is the arrogance of the Left that IF you don't accept a current scientific THEORY, you're uneducated or ignorant of the theory.

What I found funny is that they lumped, in that survey, PROVABLE SCIENTIFIC FACTS along with current THEORY (evolution, global warming etc). I understand that you don't see the difference.

I understand that you don't know enough about either to make that determination about those theories or any other theories for that matter. Yet you choose to pick and choose.

However those that do know the most in those topic accept those theories.

I'd also like to point out that your non acceptance is based upon religious and ideological grounds and not scientific or logical grounds.

Yes it's my jealousy that causes me to back up my statements with facts as opposed to simple honesty. I never knew that being truthful and accurate was a strictly non American trait. This is an expectially odd stance considering half if your own country agrees with me. Or are thay anti American too?

Please stop being such a hypocrit you spend all day bashing your own country and the people in it. You can hardly get mad at me for disagreeing as to the best methods of improvement.

What is the difference between "current theory" and "provable scientific facts"? Does it depend on your willingness to accept the theory?

All science is based on theory. A theory is accepted as long as it's not disproven by another theory. That goes for all science that is not immediately obvious by observation. That's how science works and that's how it will work in the future as well.

Atoms, as an example, can't be directly observed, but we can observe how the existance of atoms affects the world around us. The existance of atoms is regarded as a very, very plausible theory, accepted by most of us. Until another theory comes along and disproves it.

The same with evolution. It can't be directly observed, but we can observe the effects of it. Therefore, it's a very plausible theory that the scientific community and the world accepts, with the exception of a few who can't accept it due to religious beliefs.

However, religious beliefs does not stop science. Nor does it change what we observe and how those observations create scientific theories.

So why is it "arrogant" to ask people how they percieve the currently accepted scientific theories?

Is it because you don't like some of the theories?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...ng-in-February

Storm after storm has pounded England and western Europe, smashing the coastline with massive waves and flooding, making this the stormiest winter in the long English weather records which go back to 1766. But there's something happening in the ocean that's even more disturbing than the destruction to Europe. The extreme wind field across the Atlantic this winter is literally driving water that originated in the Gulf Stream into the Arctic Ocean causing sea ice extent on the Atlantic side of the Arctic ocean to decline in the middle of February. Water temperatures reported by NOAA are far above normal from the coast of north America, to the Labrador and Greenland seas, extending all the way into the Arctic ocean. The sea surface temperature anomaly maps are shocking. Water temperatures are more than 10°F above normal near Svalbard in the Arctic ocean. Likewise, Gulf Stream temperatures off of the east coast of North America are stunningly hot.
    Last edited by rodney walker II; 02-17-2014 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelderek View Post
    What is the difference between "current theory" and "provable scientific facts"? Does it depend on your willingness to accept the theory?

All science is based on theory. A theory is accepted as long as it's not disproven by another theory. That goes for all science that is not immediately obvious by observation. That's how science works and that's how it will work in the future as well.

Atoms, as an example, can't be directly observed, but we can observe how the existance of atoms affects the world around us. The existance of atoms is regarded as a very, very plausible theory, accepted by most of us. Until another theory comes along and disproves it.

The same with evolution. It can't be directly observed, but we can observe the effects of it. Therefore, it's a very plausible theory that the scientific community and the world accepts, with the exception of a few who can't accept it due to religious beliefs.

However, religious beliefs does not stop science. Nor does it change what we observe and how those observations create scientific theories.

So why is it "arrogant" to ask people how they percieve the currently accepted scientific theories?

Is it because you don't like some of the theories?
    Is this the same person that reply's to posts in "Last Post Wins Thread"????:sun_smiley::sun_smiley::sun_smiley:
    I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck. ~Emma Goldman

Whenever I asked my Dad "whats the weather going to be like today?"...he would say stick your head out the door and what you see is what you get!!!!! The weather is always changing has been since the beginning of time..no different than anything else...things are always changing!

Quote Originally Posted by peregrine View Post
    Whenever I asked my Dad "whats the weather going to be like today?"...he would say stick your head out the door and what you see is what you get!!!!! The weather is always changing has been since the beginning of time..no different than anything else...things are always changing!
    But why is it changing?

But why is it changing?
    Seems like its been changing since the beginning of time...goes through cycles like everything else about life that goes through cycles...I think I need to get away from this...I'm no scientist. Matter of fact never got more than a "D" in science class.