+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    15,510

    Should prayer in school be allowed ?

    This is a constant argument amongst alot of people. Should there be prayer allowed in school ?
    In the Bill Of Rights, the First Amendment to the Constitution, titled "Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression" states the following: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.".

    Now, I am not an attorney nor am I a legal scholar, and I realize that the courts have interpreted the foregoing in numerous ways, however, I also realize that how the Amendment is interpreted depends on which judge is sitting on the bench at the time a case is heard and just because a person is a judge does not mean that that person is infallible and it does not mean that that person does not have his or her own agenda. Judges are, after all, still human.

    In my opinion, having organized prayer in school is not "an establishment of religion", but is instead the carrying out of the will of the majority of the people in this nation. I further believe that to forbid school prayer is "prohibiting the free exercise thereof". It is also "abridging the freedom of speech" of the majority. This nation is supposed to be a Republican Democracy where the will of the majority of it's citizens is supposed to rule. As far as I can determin, the majority of the citizens in this country believe in prayer, of one type or another, and only a small minority, comprised of certain athiests, far left politicians, "Hollywood celebrities", etc., are against prayer. To allow this small minority to override the will of the majority is wrong. To allow this small, very loud, very activist, very well financed minority to take away the right of the 'silent' majority, to pray as they wish, is to allow them to corrupt our system and to take away freedom of religion from our citizens. I realize that our citizens can still pray at home and in church, however, public schools are paid for with public tax dollars, and as long as the majority of tax payers want school prayer then they should have school prayer.

    When a teacher leads a class in prayer, no one is forced to pray. Some people claim that when a child does not join in the praying, that child may be embarrassed or ridiculed by the teacher or other students, therefore they claim that class prayer is harmful. I disagree. No good teacher would criticize a student for not praying. If a teacher does so then that teacher should be reprimanded or dismissed because that teacher is not worthy of being a teacher. If some students ridicule a non praying student then those students have not been taught properly about the rights of others and should be corrected. For my own reasons, I never prayed during class prayer and no one ever said anything to me. I was never ridiculed or critcized. I knew others that did not pray and to the best of my knowledge they never had any problems, except that some of their parents embarrassed them by complaining to the school. It seems that while the non praying students did not mind school prayer, their parents did.

    The majority of Americans find hope and comfort in prayer. To deny them the right to pray because a small minority does not approve, is just plain wrong. I realize that in a small number of cases some children do have problems with school prayer, but to deny the large majority of students the hope and comfort of starting their school day off with a prayer is to stomp on their rights. To deny the majority their religious freedom goes against what this country stands for.

    One of the most important things about attending school is that children learn how to deal with other people. All kinds of things go on in school that affect or bother various students. They can not and should not be protected from everthing that they don't like. Some children are embarrassed by going to physical education class, should we then take physical education off the curriculum? Some children are bothered by certain things taught in history class, should we then take history off the curriculum? Some children are embarrassed because they are not good at math, should we then take math off the curriculum? If we took everything off the curriculum that might embarrass or bother a student there would no longer be any schools. If we protected the students from everthing that bothered them then they would not learn how to cope with problems and would not be able to function as adults.

    In my opinion, forbidding school prayer is just another case of 'political correctness' gone overboard.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,553

    Re: Should prayer in school be allowed ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    ...In my opinion, forbidding school prayer is just another case of 'political correctness' gone overboard.
    Actually... prayer is not forbidden in public schools. It is not uncommon for there to be groups of religiously like-minded people forming prayer groups. What is frowned upon is the school leading a class or student body in prayer.

    An interesting article I posted in late December puts religion and it's relationship with government in a very interesting light:

    http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/23/opinio...html?hpt=op_t1

    ...
    In its first century, the national government practiced a separation of church and state far sharper than anything Americans would accept today.
    One example: From its founding in 1775, the federal post office delivered mail on Sundays. As evangelical forms of Christianity spread after 1800, the new denominations demanded an end to this desecration of the Sabbath. Some postmasters took it upon themselves to close operations. In response, Congress voted in 1810 to require all postmasters to work at least one hour on Sunday, on pain of losing their positions.
    The Americans of the founding generations insisted upon separation of church and state not because they were irreligious, but precisely because so many of them were so very intensely religious. Because religion mattered so much to early Americans, so did religious differences.
    Calvinists and Baptists, Methodists and Catholics, the grandest Boston rector and the rawest frontier preacher disagreed, sometimes to the point of outright violence. Anti-Catholic riots ripped apart Boston, Philadelphia and Bath, Maine, between the 1830s and 1850s.
    These contending denominations could, however, agree at least that they did not want a remote government in Washington favoring some religious practices over others. Better to deliver the mail on Sunday than debate who was right about the Sabbath. Better to issue no religious proclamations than let presidents pick and choose which holy days to mark and how to mark them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,324

    Re: Should prayer in school be allowed ?

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    Actually... prayer is not forbidden in public schools. It is not uncommon for there to be groups of religiously like-minded people forming prayer groups. What is frowned upon is the school leading a class or student body in prayer.

    An interesting article I posted in late December puts religion and it's relationship with government in a very interesting light:

    http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/23/opinio...html?hpt=op_t1
    The problem in many wacko regions is that the nuts want school prayer to be official, not just allowed.
    Just like they want creationism taught in science class. Very scary.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,553

    Re: Should prayer in school be allowed ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    The problem in many wacko regions is that the nuts want school prayer to be official, not just allowed.
    Just like they want creationism taught in science class. Very scary.
    Indeed it is. They can't be happy with people praying according to their belief... it has to be according to 'their' belief.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,324

    Re: Should prayer in school be allowed ?

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    Indeed it is. They can't be happy with people praying according to their belief... it has to be according to 'their' belief.
    All these hared nosed bible thumping WASPs would be smart to consider that the WASP may be a minority some day.

  6. #6
    conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,259

    Re: Should prayer in school be allowed ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    The problem in many wacko regions is that the nuts want school prayer to be official, not just allowed.
    Just like they want creationism taught in science class. Very scary.
    I told you it's fear that drives you

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,324

    Re: Should prayer in school be allowed ?

    Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    I told you it's fear that drives you
    The only thing I fear from religion is zealots that want to either dumb down the public, kill the public, or both. All in the name of their magic man in the sky being the best magic man. Otherwise they're pretty harmless when they're not raping little boys. Are you catholic by chance? Were you an alter boy? Did that shape who you are? Have your sought help?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern, California
    Posts
    16,985

    Re: Should prayer in school be allowed ?

    Quote Originally Posted by conserv4ever View Post
    I told you it's fear that drives you
    Don't you live in fear of the wrath of god?! From his past record of wholesale slaughter and threats, I don't blame you one bit!
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,324

    Re: Should prayer in school be allowed ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    Don't you live in fear of the wrath of god?! From his past record of wholesale slaughter and threats, I don't blame you one bit!
    Yup, between fire and brimstone, floods, toads, pillars of salt, slaughter, and famine, he is one scary dude.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern, California
    Posts
    16,985

    Re: Should prayer in school be allowed ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    Yup, between fire and brimstone, floods, toads, pillars of salt, slaughter, and famine, he is one scary dude.
    Gods antics & threats would make one helluva disaster epic...

    Religulous, best of!

    I love the speaking in tongues part!

    End times!?...Lets ALL live in fear!
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,715

    Re: Should prayer in school be allowed ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    Yup, between fire and brimstone, floods, toads, pillars of salt, slaughter, and famine, he is one scary dude.


    The worst stuff is supposedly still yet to come.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,872

    Re: Should prayer in school be allowed ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bibleman View Post
    The worst stuff is supposedly still yet to come.
    What is to come? I'll bet you've written your own bible. That would make sense because you've done a brilliant job dismissing the old Bible. Or have you? Why do you keep quoting form scripture, especially about Jesus. Is it because you've become a prophet. You know, one who understands God's truth?

    Here is how you do it. Pick and chose what you believe to be God's truth. Don't worry if it contradicts verses in the Bible. After all, you are God's chosen one. We'll be eternally grateful for your revelations.
    Last edited by Cnance; 02-13-2014 at 11:35 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,715

    Re: Should prayer in school be allowed ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    What is to come? I'll bet you've written your own bible. That would make sense because you've done a brilliant job dismissing the old Bible. Or have you? Why do you keep quoting form scripture, especially about Jesus. Is it because you've become a prophet. You know, one who understands God's truth?

    Here is how you do it. Pick and chose what you believe to be God's truth. Don't worry if it contradicts verses in the Bible. After all, you are God's chosen one. We'll be eternally grateful for your revelations.

    How arrogant of you!

    I state what's in the bible vs your dumb dumb dream world and you claim I HAVE my own stuff????
    I don't think I can have a real conversation with you.........

    You do exactly what you are charging me with......you pick and chose what you believe, dismiss contradictions, believe that you have been given gifts of dream revelations, and get all bent out of shape when we/I challenge your ideas.......

    vs

    Me, who posts stuff based directly on the text, as it is, with no filters or fillers, in black and white.

    What is wrong with you, anyway?

Similar Threads

  1. Pay for prayer
    By prayer1 in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 08:05 PM
  2. a prayer
    By Old Timer in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 03:32 PM
  3. The War Prayer
    By sojustask in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 12:08 AM
  4. The War Prayer
    By sojustask in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 07:11 AM
  5. My Prayer
    By Qi123 in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 12:12 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •