+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should Cities Be Allowed To Display Xmas Symbols?

Of course they should. Our constitution does not in anyway prevent it. Our constitution only prevents the government from establishing a religion.

Establishing, as in, "you may only practice one certain religion" "No other religions are allowed."

Our constitution allows one to practice any kind of religion you want to and to do it openly.

The fact that a city or town allows Christmas symbols or any other type of symbol to be displayed doesn't mean the government is promoting a certain religion. All it means is that that particular city or town recognizes that certain members of the population happen to believe in that particular religion. So what? If it happens to be the majority of the people, so what. As long as they don't prevent other religions from displaying symbols of their faith whom does it hurt? If you can't make the distinction then reread the constitution.

The constitution only prevents a state sponsored religion. Such as the the Church of America, just like they had The Church of England. The state does not sanction any one church over another, never has, never will.

If we are so worried about the state sponsoring a religion by doing anything that remotely could be considered as an endorsement of that religion than let's do away with all religions and that way we don't offend anyone.

What's wrong with the government recognizing that religion exists and that it actually means something to people? Our Country was founded on the principal of a Christian God. Why should we apologize for it? And who are you to tell me I can't recognize my God or his day of birth by putting up a symbol of that faith. I don't tell you you can't honor your god in your way.

If we are going to go this route than we have to take away the tax exempt status of all churches because if the "government" is giving them a tax break than isn't the "government" establishing a religion. Why should a church get a break? Any charities those churches are involved in should also lose their tax exempt status. And while we are at it then let's reduce all churches to tents because the architecture of some churches promotes that one religion over others because they have more money and can build bigger buildings.

When you start raising hell about "governments" putting foot baths in the airports and making other accommodations for select religions then you can complain about separation of church and state.

For over 200 plus years the citizens of this Country have managed to coexist with Christmas decorations and symbols all over the place and nobody got killed over it. Matter of fact people were a lot nicer to each other and strangers during the Holiday Season. I wonder why?

Let's bring back the Christmas Holiday Season and all it meant, the parties, the presents and the celebration of the birth of the Son of God and what it used to mean to us. It is a special time of the year for Christians and it's our Country too.

Celebrate your religion and honor your god any way and any time you want to, but stay the hell out of my holiday or I'm gonna go pee in your foot bath.
    Foxbaron.com
    Foxbaron.blogspot.com
    FREE GIFT: 101 Ways Your Business Can Change the World

Re: Should Cities Be Allowed To Display Xmas Symbo

Quote Originally Posted by foxbaron
    ...Let's bring back the Christmas Holiday Season and all it meant, the parties, the presents and the celebration of the birth of the Son of God and what it used to mean to us. It is a special time of the year for Christians and it's our Country too.

Celebrate your religion and honor your god any way and any time you want to, but stay the hell out of my holiday or I'm gonna go pee in your foot bath.
    I want to know why churches are allowed to display crosses on the outside of their churches?

And why are temples allowed to display a star of David outside of the temples?

Isn't that offensive?

I mean, now they refuse to allow a Holiday Tree to be set up in my children's elementary school.

First they took away the kids' Christmas Tree and Hanukkah Bush and they went ahead and set up a Holiday Tree.

All righty, goody, goody; everybody's happy.

Then they said no to that, because of the atheists who found any symbol of faith repulsive and offensive to their delicate senses.

BSBSBSBSBSBStotalBS.

And to those teachers and store clerks and telemarketers, and all the other cheery types who go totally Ga-Ga when they wish me "Happy Holidays" during the Christmas season and Christmas Day...

...for Christ's sake, I say to them, "This is the season of my Saviors birth. Wish me a Merry Christmas." *Tool.*
    Click both daily for an easy & FREE way to help care for the needy:
    The Animal Rescue Site/charity
    http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...faces?siteId=3
    The Rainforest Site/charity
    http://www.therainforestsite.com/cli...gin=Sister_ars

I just want to know why we can't live and let live. If you don't like what you see, ignore it, look at something else. I think it's more a freedom of speach issue than a religious issue, and if I feel like telling you merry f'n Christmas, you have no right to tell me I can't. You do have the right to go somewhere else though. If you don't like the babe at wally world telling you merry christmas or have a blessed day, then get off you asses and build a atheist-mart. There's no law telling you that you can't.

LIVE AND LET LIVE...THATS MY LIFES MOTTO
    I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck. ~Emma Goldman

Quote Originally Posted by peregrine View Post
    LIVE AND LET LIVE...THATS MY LIFES MOTTO
    Sing it sister.

Short, sweet and exactly right.

I thought that's what America was all about, last time I checked the Constitution.

as far as a city displaying anything on the taxpayer's buck or on city property i guess these days it's better to stay clear of complications and lawsuits!?and wasting money is not being frugal in a bad economy!?:crazy1: : :judges: hehe!!....just askn...
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

But what about non-Christian holiday displays?

We had an incident last year where a Pagan couple put up a Pentacle on the town property along side a manger scene that had been erected.

Someone vandalized the Pentacle display by running it over with a truck.

There were a couple other such incidents last year across the country with similar displays during the holiday season, the Pagan displays got vandalized while the Christian displays were left alone.

Personally if we are going to allow Christian displays we should allow any religion that has a connection to this time of year - holiday wise - to display something without the fear of retribution.
    It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs.

"All things are perfect to every last flaw and bound in accord with Eris's Law."
    -HBT; The Book of Advice 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by Anti_thesisofreason View Post

We had an incident last year where a Pagan couple put up a Pentacle on the town property along side a manger scene that had been erected.

There were a couple other such incidents last year across the country with similar displays during the holiday season, the Pagan displays got vandalized while the Christian displays were left alone.

Personally if we are going to allow Christian displays we should allow any religion that has a connection to this time of year - holiday wise - to display something without the fear of retribution.
    I agree, others should accomadated just as well as christian holidays. If somebody want's to take the time to do it, let them. I really don't think any of them should be done on the tax payers dime, not even the christian displays, but if a certain religion want's to collect money and/or do the work to make a display... more power to them.

I think it's fine that they put up whatever the hell they want; knock yourself out, basically.

But do you think that the fact that they put it up right beside the Nativity was like, "Take that!"; sort of done in spite, if you see what I'm saying.

People don't like to be mocked or have things done to them in spite. It drives you nuts.

Hey, Christians are getting fed up with being mocked and ridiculed; still, to run over it was over the top and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by HotParadox View Post
    I think it's fine that they put up whatever the hell they want; knock yourself out, basically.

But do you think that the fact that they put it up right beside the Nativity was like, "Take that!"; sort of done in spite, if you see what I'm saying.

People don't like to be mocked or have things done to them in spite. It drives you nuts.

Hey, Christians are getting fed up with being mocked and ridiculed; still, to run over it was over the top and stupid.
    From what I understand it was not done in a way to provoke a response of any kind. They just wanted equal billing when it came to the holiday season. I could be wrong there are many out there that have a need to stick it to Christians.

"All things are perfect to every last flaw and bound in accord with Eris's Law."

From what I understand it was not done in a way to provoke a response of any kind. They just wanted equal billing when it came to the holiday season. I could be wrong there are many out there that have a need to stick it to Christians.
    Like I said, I've got no prob with it; it's a free country.

I think it's a little odd that they choose to do their thing at the same time as Christmas, unless that's when they celebrate their holiday.

I've got no prob with non-Christians celebrating religious holidays; no beef.

It's the atheists that put up the NO CHRISTMAS type signs right next to the Nativity scene in DC, for instance, and deface stuff that is sacred to faith-based people. Bad form.

It's gotten out of control.

Pretty much, I think we're on the same page.
    Last edited by HotParadox; 12-05-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HotParadox View Post
    Like I said, I've got no prob with it; it's a free country.

I think it's a little odd that they choose to do their thing at the same time as Christmas, unless that's when they celebrate their holiday.

I've got no prob with non-Christians celebrating religious holidays; no beef.

It's the atheists that put up the NO CHRISTMAS type signs right next to the Nativity scene in DC, for instance, and deface stuff that is sacred to faith-based people. Bad form.

It's gotten out of control.

Pretty much, I think we're on the same page.
    Yep same page, I'm with ya there!

Yep same page, I'm with ya there!
    I also agree. If someone does not like what I am doing with my xmas stuff and says it offends them, well what they are doing offends me and I would file a charge against them that my civil rights are being violated and they are the ones that are doing it. Everybody does not have to do what they or anybody else likes or don'[t like. I refuse to give up my individuality

Atheists complian about Christmas because atheist don't have any holidays of their own so they gotta try to steal ours.

Don't see them horning in on Rammadan though do ya.

They'd get their throats cut.
    Foxbaron.com
    Foxbaron.blogspot.com
    FREE GIFT: 101 Ways Your Business Can Change the World

Quote Originally Posted by foxbaron View Post
    Atheists complian about Christmas because atheist don't have any holidays of their own so they gotta try to steal ours.

Don't see them horning in on Rammadan though do ya.

They'd get their throats cut.
    I only say that they can try and stop me but it wont work I will display what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    I only say that they can try and stop me but it wont work I will display what I want.
    I take my displaying xmas decorations as a symbol of my religious freedom. No one is going to make me stop.