+ Reply to Thread

Pope John Paul II Blood on Tour

When I first saw it mentioned online, I thought it was just a hoax, then when I heard it on the radio, I just shook my head. After looking into it, apparently it really happened - 4 vials of blood were taken from Pope John Paul II just before he died in '05 (so the church claims), and one of those vials has been taken on tour and shown off in the US.

I don't think words can accurately describe the resentment going through my mind right now. Has Catholicism fallen to the level of a cheap circus side show? To that of snake oil salesmen?
    I can see it now; "Touch this holy blood, and the blind can see, your ED will be cured! Gather round we've plenty of tickets to sell! Now we may have said at some point that you shouldn't worship anything but the blood of Christ, but that was back when we had principles you see, so forget it. So gather round, I'm sure we'll drum up some new holy artifacts soon, and they'll be on tour to a city near you!"

In Italy, they even staged a robbery at one point to force up some news coverage. It was 'stolen' on a train or train station, and then 'recovered' by police intact a couple hours later.

So does anyone else see all this for what it is?

Re: Pope John Paul II Blood on Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Badd View Post
    When I first saw it mentioned online, I thought it was just a hoax, then when I heard it on the radio, I just shook my head. After looking into it, apparently it really happened - 4 vials of blood were taken from Pope John Paul II just before he died in '05 (so the church claims), and one of those vials has been taken on tour and shown off in the US.

I don't think words can accurately describe the resentment going through my mind right now. Has Catholicism fallen to the level of a cheap circus side show? To that of snake oil salesmen?
    I can see it now; "Touch this holy blood, and the blind can see, your ED will be cured! Gather round we've plenty of tickets to sell! Now we may have said at some point that you shouldn't worship anything but the blood of Christ, but that was back when we had principles you see, so forget it. So gather round, I'm sure we'll drum up some new holy artifacts soon, and they'll be on tour to a city near you!"

In Italy, they even staged a robbery at one point to force up some news coverage. It was 'stolen' on a train or train station, and then 'recovered' by police intact a couple hours later.

The more things change..the more they stay the same.

A great read is "The Innocents Abroad" by Mark Twain. He describes a trip form the USA to the Holy Lands aboard a steamer, stopping in many ports along the way. Every church he visits has nails from the cross, parts of the cross, or parts or all of the crown of thorns. Hilarious read.

Same old side show now and then. The sheep are happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Badd View Post

Seems you have two different stories mixed up.

The stolen relic was not a vial of the Pope's blood but a drop of his blood that was shed when he was shot. The blood was on a piece of clothing or being kept in an object.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/reliquar...-italy-church/

The story of the four vials of blood is the blood that was drawn from the Pope in case he needed a transfusion. The blood was not used so now one vial of the blood is going to be used at his beatification.

Vial of John Paul II’s blood to be venerated at beatification
    By CAROL GLATZ on Tuesday, 26 April 2011
    IN THIS ARTICLE
    John Paul II beatification, relics
    More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on facebook Share on myspace Share on google Share on twitter
    Related Posts
    Pope venerates relics of St Peter at Mass ending Year of Faith
    Vatican to put St Peter’s relics on display for first time
    Relic of St Anthony of Padua to go on a two-week tour of Britain
    Don Bosco pilgrims urged to ‘share joy with one other’
    Relics of Don Bosco to begin tour of Britain
    Zemanta
    Images of the late pope outside a souvenir shop in his hometown of Wadowice, Poland (CNS photo/Kacper Pempel, Reuters)
    Images of the late pope outside a souvenir shop in his hometown of Wadowice, Poland (CNS photo/Kacper Pempel, Reuters)

A small vial of Pope John Paul II’s blood is to be the relic for the Mass for his beatification, the Vatican has said.

The relic will be presented to Pope Benedict XVI and exposed for veneration during the Mass in St Peter’s Square on Sunday, the Vatican said today. After the Mass, it will be kept with other modern relics in the Apostolic Palace.

The Vatican explained that four vials of blood were drawn from Pope John Paul during the final stage of his illness by his personal physician. The vials were sent to the Vatican-owned Bambino Gesu Hospital in Rome in case the ailing pope needed a transfusion, it said.

No transfusion was ever needed, and after the death of Pope John Paul on April 2, 2005, two of the vials went to the pope’s personal secretary, Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz of Krakow, Poland, and the other two remained in the custody of the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul at the hospital, the Vatican said.

One of the vials of blood from the hospital will be presented for veneration at the beatification Mass and be placed in a “precious reliquary specially made” for the occasion, it said.

The second vial will remain at the hospital.

The Vatican said the blood in all four vials has not solidified because an anti-coagulant had been added at the time the blood was drawn.
    Last edited by PeggieSue; 01-27-2014 at 11:14 AM.

I found this also.
    http://www.sj-r.com/x825431274/Vial-...-be-in-exhibit

I don't see having his blood as a remembrance, celebration, of Pope Paul II anything unusual.

People are known to keep locks of hair, belongings of a person and other things as a remembrance of that person after they pass away.

If his blood should help someone feel they have experienced a miracle that would be a good thing.

Of course using anything like this to scam others and it causing harm, financial lost etc would be something you wouldn't want to happen.

Pope Paul II was a very special person to millions of people, not just your ordinary guy to Catholics and I'm sure others that are not Catholics around the world.

I don't see this as odd or anything to be upset about.

I can see if you don't believe in God and you don't care for Religion you may look at this in a more critical way then those that do believe or those that practice the Roman Catholic faith.

What a crazy story! Its amazing how stories get twisted and transformed into weird conspiracy theories.