+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 45

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern, California
    Posts
    16,985

    White Trash in America is...."trendy?"

    What the hell is going on?

    Click Here!

    I know we had "The Beverly Hillbillies" in the 60's, but this is getting ridiculous...I don't think it was what I'd call a 'trend'?

    Nowadays...?

    There's:

    Duck Dynasty (of course!)
    Here Comes Honey Boo Boo
    Hillbilly Blood
    Swamp Kings
    Ice Road Truckers
    Trailer Park Boys
    Lizard Lick Towing
    Dog the Bounty Hunter
    Cajun Pawn Stars
    and the newest one, Hollywood Hillbilly (The add for this show has Johnny Depp prominently displayed with them! If he's not hot and 'trendy' right now, who is?!)

    I'm sure there are other similar shows I'm missing...?

    What is this endless fascination for 'white trash & oakies' all about?!

    Is this evidence of the 'dumbing down' of America?

    Is this what Americans spend their time watching to feel good about themselves?! So they can look down on those 'dumb oakies', or is it an actual reflection/barometer of what it means to be 'average' Americans?

    Any ideas?

    I'm stumped.:rotz:
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

  2. #2
    Doctobe's Avatar
    Doctobe is offline alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, zeta ...... User Rank
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UC Berkeley, UC Davis, Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    116

    Re: White Trash in America is...."trendy?"

    Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post

    Any ideas?

    I'm stumped.:rotz:
    My girlfriend watches Bravo channel :rotz: religiously and is obsessed with all of those housewife shows, the complete opposite (idea wise) of the shows you listed. Doesn't make a difference if the people are living in a trailer park in Sacramento or on Sunset Blvd. in Beverly Hills. As long as people tune in, you will see more of it. Same with all the "ghost investigating/catching/caught on film" shows now on.

    How did things like this become trendy? I have no clue but it probably has to do with a lot of variables like targeted demographics, what's "trending" in pop-culture, etc.
    Last edited by Doctobe; 01-23-2014 at 02:57 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    15,510

    Re: White Trash in America is...."trendy?"

    One of my favorite topics. I love America but can't stand white trash people, so it is weird. I didn't realize how big, vast, and diverse the country is. If I was a black man....holy smoke I'm not living in a bunch of places:rotz:

    But I agree, reality tv used to goof on these people and now it's the norm.
    Women wear their baggy pajama bottoms out in public, smoke while pregnant, swear everywhere and tell the world they don't give a .

    There's no class anymore....its classless vulgar white trash scum. So many druggies too. I can't go anywhere and not smell weed in the air.

    The bar has been lowered again. The breakdown of family values loses another battle

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,179

    Re: White Trash in America is...."trendy?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Women wear their baggy pajama bottoms out in public, smoke while pregnant, swear everywhere and tell the world they don't give a .
    Uh... women have been doing that shit for years.

    I wear my pj's to the store sometimes. Fuck it, if it's 3AM and I have to go get some tylenol from the store I'm NOT putting on a pair of jeans just to be "classy".

    And oops, I said .

    This isn't 1950, my job isn't too "look presentable" for the public and I shouldn't feel obligated to conform to whatever massively outdated opinion you have of what my gender should be like.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,549

    Re: White Trash in America is...."trendy?"

    Can't stand those shows... all of them! I will usually watch a movie, Big Bang Theory or something on Travel Channel like 'Mysteries at the Museum' or other trivia / sorta history show.


    Can't stand History channel any more either... all they have on are "reality" shows and when they do present "history" it's usually the myth and not the history.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    279

    Re: White Trash in America is...."trendy?"

    Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    What the hell is going on?

    Click Here!

    I know we had "The Beverly Hillbillies" in the 60's, but this is getting ridiculous...I don't think it was what I'd call a 'trend'?

    Nowadays...?

    There's:

    Duck Dynasty (of course!)
    Here Comes Honey Boo Boo
    Hillbilly Blood
    Swamp Kings
    Ice Road Truckers
    Trailer Park Boys
    Lizard Lick Towing
    Dog the Bounty Hunter
    Cajun Pawn Stars
    and the newest one, Hollywood Hillbilly (The add for this show has Johnny Depp prominently displayed with them! If he's not hot and 'trendy' right now, who is?!)

    I'm sure there are other similar shows I'm missing...?

    What is this endless fascination for 'white trash & oakies' all about?!

    Is this evidence of the 'dumbing down' of America?

    Is this what Americans spend their time watching to feel good about themselves?! So they can look down on those 'dumb oakies', or is it an actual reflection/barometer of what it means to be 'average' Americans?

    Any ideas?

    I'm stumped.:rotz:
    Stupid shit sells dude. This is nothing new. You have feed a stupid audience stupid stuff or they will get bored..
    Get paid to chat! :) Diskussable

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern, California
    Posts
    16,985

    Re: White Trash in America is...."trendy?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctobe View Post
    My girlfriend watches Bravo channel :rotz: religiously and is obsessed with all of those housewife shows, the complete opposite (idea wise) of the shows you listed.
    Yep, those are more like soap opera's....white trash too, but 'soapy', as in the saga/drama continues....just another white trash niche?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctobe View Post
    Doesn't make a difference if the people are living in a trailer park in Sacramento or on Sunset Blvd. in Beverly Hills. As long as people tune in, you will see more of it. Same with all the "ghost investigating/catching/caught on film" shows now on.
    I get the impression they don't have a clue what really works, or what people really want to see, they'll throw any crap on to grab some eyeballs, the more sensational the better...and people are so friggin bored with TV overall they'd rather watch white trash or reruns on NFlix rather than the latest from the major networks.

    Ahhh yes, TV, the "vast wasteland"...

    Quote Originally Posted by wiki

    When television is good, nothing not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers nothing is better.

    But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite each of you to sit down in front of your own television set when your station goes on the air and stay there, for a day, without a book, without a magazine, without a newspaper, without a profit and loss sheet or a rating book to distract you. Keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland.

    You will see a procession of game shows, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, blood and thunder, mayhem, violence, sadism, murder, western bad men, western good men, private eyes, gangsters, more violence, and cartoons. And endlessly commercials many screaming, cajoling, and offending. And most of all, boredom. True, you'll see a few things you will enjoy. But they will be very, very few. And if you think I exaggerate, I only ask you to try it.

    ~ Federal Communications Commission (FCC) chairman
    - Newton N. Minow-1961

    Click Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctobe View Post
    How did things like this become trendy? I have no clue but it probably has to do with a lot of variables like targeted demographics, what's "trending" in pop-culture, etc.
    By design, it's practically forced down people's throats, when one draws an audience, they all rush to the fray with their own copycats..."trendy"???...more like brainwashed...stay stupid, gullible but above all ....CONSUME, CONSUME, CONSUME!!!

    I call em/us sheople sometimes.
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern, California
    Posts
    16,985

    Re: White Trash in America is...."trendy?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    One of my favorite topics. I love America but can't stand white trash people, so it is weird. I didn't realize how big, vast, and diverse the country is. If I was a black man....holy smoke I'm not living in a bunch of places:rotz:
    Yep, it was only 50-60 years ago that blacks were 'strung up' for entertainment often in the segregated south...that's why, IMO, Obama's skin color is an enormous 'unspoken' issue in many areas of this country.:rotz:

    Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    But I agree, reality tv used to goof on these people and now it's the norm.
    Women wear their baggy pajama bottoms out in public, smoke while pregnant, swear everywhere and tell the world they don't give a .

    There's no class anymore....its classless vulgar white trash scum. So many druggies too. I can't go anywhere and not smell weed in the air.
    It's far better than smelling stale alcohol at every turn...?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    The bar has been lowered again. The breakdown of family values loses another battle
    I don't know, those okie families seem pretty close...kissing cousins even! "Keep it in the family" has a whole new meaning when it comes to white trash!:yelcutelaughA:
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,549

    Re: White Trash in America is...."trendy?"

    I think this film is more truth than fiction... if you really think about it.


    'They Live'
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096256/



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern, California
    Posts
    16,985

    Re: White Trash in America is...."trendy?"

    Quote Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
    Uh... women have been doing that shit for years.

    I wear my pj's to the store sometimes. Fuck it, if it's 3AM and I have to go get some tylenol from the store I'm NOT putting on a pair of jeans just to be "classy".
    Wearing PJ's to the store at 3:00 am is one thing, white trash slobiness being the 'style' is another...

    Quote Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
    And oops, I said .
    Awwww ! Oh well, shit happens!

    Quote Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
    This isn't 1950, my job isn't too "look presentable" for the public and I shouldn't feel obligated to conform to whatever massively outdated opinion you have of what my gender should be like.
    Comfort is king at my house too...white trash is still a fascinating 'trend' in the US...keep it cool & comfy!

    Thanks for posting!

    Happy New Year!
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

  11. #11
    Doctobe's Avatar
    Doctobe is offline alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, zeta ...... User Rank
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UC Berkeley, UC Davis, Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    116

    Re: White Trash in America is...."trendy?"

    "They Live". Omg, that movie was weird lol. I remember seeing it when I was younger and had nightmares. Piper and Keith David were hilarious though.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    49

    Re: White Trash in America is...."trendy?"

    I think that "white trash" in America is only trendy for "white trash." Anyone else that likes watching shows like the ones you've listed only watch to see how ridiculous those people are and act, not because they actually like them or would want to be like them. It's kind of like a freak show at the circus. I do like Dog The Bounty Hunter because they always emphasize the importance of God in their lives when they pray before each bounty and capture. I know Duck Dynasty emphasizes the importance of God in their show too but I can't stand those rednecks! lol

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,549

    Re: White Trash in America is...."trendy?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctobe View Post
    "They Live". Omg, that movie was weird lol. I remember seeing it when I was younger and had nightmares. Piper and Keith David were hilarious though.
    One of the best films John Carpenter's ever made and the fight between Piper and Keith David is one of the best movie fights ever...



    ------------------

    That film said a lot about society and how easily we can be led about...



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern, California
    Posts
    16,985

    Re: White Trash in America is...."trendy?"

    The 'okie trend' continues to grow...noticed three more.

    Appalachian Outlaws...

    Swamp People...

    & Dr. Pol...

    Any others?
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: White Trash in America is...."trendy?"

    Calling these folks, white trash, is demeaning and a slang term used just like nig ger, cracker, spics.

    Have you considered the popularity of these shows would be because we have so many people who can relate because of their own life and the way they are living?

    I don't watch any of these shows, I mostly watch movies or catch a news program now and then but I would think their popularity is a reflection of our economy.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern, California
    Posts
    16,985

    Re: White Trash in America is...."trendy?"

    Quote Originally Posted by PeggieSue View Post
    Calling these folks, white trash, is demeaning and a slang term used just like nig ger, cracker, spics.
    Just callin em as I see em...

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteTrashWiki
    White trash is a derogatory American English term referring to poor white people, especially in the rural South of the US, suggesting lower social class and degraded standards. The term suggests outcasts from respectable society living on the fringes of the social order who are seen as dangerous because they may be criminal, unpredictable, and without respect for authority whether it be political, legal, or moral. The term is usually a slur, but may also be used self-referentially by working class whites to jokingly describe their origins.

    Click Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeggieSue View Post
    Have you considered the popularity of these shows would be because we have so many people who can relate because of their own life and the way they are living?
    Partially, hit shows cross many boundaries. I'm sure that the ratings success of these shows depends on many other people besides 'poor white people'...but...

    With the decline of the middle class in this country, you may be on to something though...not too many of them left I guess, nowadays...there's the rich 1 - 5%, then there's the rest, the 'working poor', the 'white trash'....:blunt:

    Quote Originally Posted by PeggieSue View Post
    I don't watch any of these shows, I mostly watch movies or catch a news program now and then but I would think their popularity is a reflection of our economy.
    Sadly, you may be right. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "poor Americans", doesn't it?

    Click Here!
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-03-2016, 10:43 AM
  2. Is "white trash" same as "N-word"?
    By tompindar in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-23-2013, 06:35 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2012, 07:44 AM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 10:38 AM
  5. White House Doctoring Of "Mission Accomplished" Video
    By ianmatthews in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 06:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •