+ Reply to Thread

Craigslist Job Scams Requiring Background Check

I've heard of a Craigslist scam going around accepting people for jobs and making them submit to a background check before they can start "working". I forget what it's called but they website they send people to isn't really a background check website but a "clone". They get peoples' personal information including social security numbers and you know what kind of trouble that is. Never accept a job from Craigslist when they ask for a background check if you don't actually go to their office and do a background check on them first!

Opinion is offline The World is a Vampire! And We're Just Rats In A Cage

Re: Craigslist Job Scams Requiring Background Check

This is a definite scam. Never give out your personal information unless you meet these people inperson.
    Check out the Bamboo Bar When In NJ !

Legitimate businesses run background checks at their own expense. They usually ask for little more than your SSN and DOB. Unless they demand a Level 2 check which requires fingerprints.

These work at home scams from craigslist are not on this level. Trust me. Never give your bank account, rule #1. They will destroy you.

To add to this I have also heard of other "jobs" asking you for your information so they can run a background check but what you're actually unknowingly doing is signing up for some sort of a service that will bill you monthly some amount like $19.95, no background check and you're stuck without a job and trying to unsubscribe from a service that you're unaware of its origination.

An email I received off Craigslist
    Hello,

My Name is Christopher Granville i found your ads on craigslist, Are you still looking for a nanny job . We are a family of four with kids age of 4 and 6 years old respectively ,

I,my wife and my daughters are relocating from Portland Oregon to your city. I need your services while me and my wife are busy with work cause i am into entertainment industry I need you to take care of my two daughters (Rebecca & Anna) for 3 to 4 hours daily from Mondays to Fridays and you will be paid $400 weekly including little household chores.

I am a producer in movie industry and my kids who you will be taking care of are 4 yrs and 6 yrs of age respectively and likes playing with their teddy, watching cartoons and i think you would love to have them around as they are playful and fun loving, they are both not allergic to any food.

I will as well like to run a background check on you because it's not easy to leave a children with someone just like that cause they are my world and i hope you understand my concerns also, I hate lies and dishonesty.

Your position is on stand-by if you wish you proceed and ready to be able to handle some assignments prior our arrival. Kindly get back to me with the requested information below for confirmation and before any further proceedings can take place:

Full name:
    Contact Address: (No P.O. Box)
    Apt #:
    City, Zip Code:
    State:
    Home phone number:
    Cell phone number:
    Personal email address:
    Available hours:

Regards our arrival arrangement, we would be arriving to your city on the 17th of June but you will be compensated for each and every small assignments like purchases, light cleaning and shopping completed before we arrive. I would get in touch with more details as soon immediately you accept my offer.

Regards,
    Christopher Granville