+ Reply to Thread

Buying Electronics

When buying any kind of electronics, especially the more highly priced ones (ie, TV, Stereo, Home Theater, etc...) always comparison shop and do your research before you buy. Never buy on impulse, you will regret it.

When it comes down to a few models of whatever device you are planning on buying start really scrutinizing the differences, and don't be afraid to pay a little more to get what you want. It may save you money later on.

When researching read through the review sections of a few different websites for the models you are considering. Sure there may be some negative, useless reviews, but for the most part the reviews are pretty informative and will steer you away from a possible disaster.

Re: Buying Electronics

I am always worried about fake reviews now, when you go to the websites.
    You know there's haters out there and the competitors often sabotage other businesses .

That's why you go to sites you trust.

For computer stuff I always go to newegg, or tigerdirect. Their reviewers are usually pretty honest and informative.

Looking up the reviews is excellent advice but I do believe that some reviews can be fake. Sometimes a whole website could have pages full of fake reviews. It's good to check out in depth reviews and other sources to be sure about it. Otherwise, great tips!

Well some good places to search for honest product reviews are internet forums. You should check out someone you can trust and read what other people think of the product. There's always the chance of someone posting a fake review there but if the forum has a good and active user base people will spot the lie and tag it as a fake one.

I'm worried for fake reviews when I buy electronics, because I've had situations where I've bought sound systems and I read a review online where someone said it worked perfectly for years and when I bought it they were breaking in the first week. At that point I sort of realized that the people who were running the website were paying people to write fake reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanoyo View Post
    I'm worried for fake reviews when I buy electronics, because I've had situations where I've bought sound systems and I read a review online where someone said it worked perfectly for years and when I bought it they were breaking in the first week. At that point I sort of realized that the people who were running the website were paying people to write fake reviews.
    This is why you check the number of reviews, and if it is a site you have not known about or heard about from people you know, I would be very wary.

Plus, when it comes to electronics you will usually find the same, or similar, models on multiple sites where you can kind of cross reference what people are saying about them.

I would say I generally trust Amazon's reviews - particularly with stuff like electronics by big brand manufacturers. I think Amazon's biggest problems with fake reviews exist more so with authors selling their own books on there, and getting their friends to write fake review for them (or in some cases, they are even doing it themselves).

It's also important to try and discern how long the reviewer had the product. Some reviewers just get the item and may be all excited about it and write a glowing review, while others may have had the item for a while and can better say if it's durable or if it breaks down easily.

For example, even though a lot of people praise Kitchenaid mixers, I've also heard some horror stories of their mixers breaking down and that the customer had to bite the cost to ship it for repairs.

thanks for share this useful information , first you should check ur product than u ca buy any electric product ...

When it comes to electronics I suggest sticking to the most known sites: NewEgg, TigerDirect, Amazon... most of these sites have systems in place that prevent fake reviews (for example on amazon you need to purchase the item in order to leave a review).

Another big tip: NEVER buy electronics from sites like Alibaba and AliExpress. Sure, they might have very cheap tshirts and bracelets, but their electronics are very often of VERY low quality. I bought stuff from them (like hard drives and GPS units) that never even powered on.
    Extra Paycheck blog is where I help people build and grow their own successful online business, completely free!

Extra Podcast is where successful entrepreneurs reveals their strategies and share their knowledge with you, the listener.

[QUOTE=ohiotom76;1728740]
    It's also important to try and discern how long the reviewer had the product. Some reviewers just get the item and may be all excited about it and write a glowing review, while others may have had the item for a while and can better say if it's durable or if it breaks down easily.

For example, even though a lot of people praise Kitchenaid mixers, I've also heard some horror stories of their mixers breaking down and that the customer had to bite the cost to ship it for repairs.[/QUOTE

reviews are generally all over the place the excited geek just opened the box the clutch that cant use anything right the geek who complains about anything they thought it should do/have!? i always go to the NEGATIVE reviews usually from people who have experience and the time to check things out minus the hype!?

i've serviced kitchen aid mixers they were cheaply made in some parts designed to wear out/fail(plastic gear housing) they did make some improvements in later models. they are good for medium home use but alot of people try to use them commercially or everyday and that will wear them out/break the gear system/bushings! ::rotz::spin2::elvis:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

another way of protecting yourself is if you buy on impulse get the extended/no fault warranty........sometimes thats a good idea in any case since nobodys brand stuff is bulletproof anymore!? :bah: :freak3::spin2::elvis:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you