+ Reply to Thread

Free Advice On Job Interviews

Ok this is from my experience and free advice from other people on the topic of Job Interviews.
    Feel free to add to this thread.

1. Dress for success. It doesn't matter if its CrapDonalds or a high end job. Wear a tie. Neat, clean shaven. Look confident.
    2. Eye contact. Shows confidence and also throw in a smile after anything they say. Its a subconscious mentalistic trick.
    3. Be early. If you are late for interview its a dead ringer you suck.
    4. Accept a drink. Whether its coffee or water, accept it. Shows confidence and a higher level than what you may be. Say enthusiastically "Yes, thank you" or "A water would be great", coffee is sometimes complicated unless they lead you into exactly what you want. If an employer offers you something, its a great sign, trust me. Its good now and much later...when they did dont care initially they rarely do later.
    5. Read their body language. If they are looking away or only at your resume for too long, ask them personal questions about their service or role...and what HE or SHE is looking for in an employee. Take over the interview momentarily to reign them back into liking you.
    6. Don't ramble. Keep stories without emotion. No tangents. Its boring and annoying.
    7. Stay neutral. No offensive jokes, no religious, or sexual, or anything controversial topics. If the interviewer goes there, simply chuckle and keep it short. Or leave if its too offensive.
    8. Be confident. "Fake it til you make it". Sometimes simple BS will make you millions.
    9. Always exude hard work. Portray yourself as a workaholic. Every manager wants his team TO DO THE WORK, NOT HIM. HE WANTS YOU TO MAKE HIM LOOK GOOD.
    10. Agree and Ask Questions. Agree with what they say, and ask questions that you already know you will agree with. Yes-men get jobs.
    Best of luck to you. If you have anymore advice or disagree with my Yoda-like knowledge....then post here :spidey::spidey::spidey:

Re: Free Advice On Job Interviews

Simple yet super effective advice. Especially on being early. I've been late on a job interview, well I wasn't exactly late but I was there just a few minutes before I had to be there and I felt super nervous. I had no time for myself to just calm down. So these tips are excellent, I'll be sure to write them down ASAP!

There is one tip you have not included that, unfortunately, some people may need.

Don't bring anyone with you.

There have been stories lately of college grads bringing either mom or dad, usually mom, with them on their job interview. The interview was for the hiring manager to get to know you, not you and your parents. Your parents are not going to be doing the job, you are. Leave them at home.

About that Don't bring anyone with you advice that's a good one. A few years back my girlfriend was looking for a position as office administrator. I gave her a ride to the interview but I stayed outside the office building so I would not interfere in any one with the interview. When the interview was over she went out and told me there was another girl who brought her boyfriend with her. The very next day my girlfriend got a call to let her know the job was hers. So yes, you should never bring anyone with you on an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by bosconian View Post
    About that Don't bring anyone with you advice that's a good one. A few years back my girlfriend was looking for a position as office administrator. I gave her a ride to the interview but I stayed outside the office building so I would not interfere in any one with the interview. When the interview was over she went out and told me there was another girl who brought her boyfriend with her. The very next day my girlfriend got a call to let her know the job was hers. So yes, you should never bring anyone with you on an interview.
    Was the boyfriend actually sitting in on the interview or just out in the waiting area?

Not that it matters much, either way it looks bad.

I very much agree with the advice given, especially with the latest advice "Don't bring anyone with you." By bringing your parents to the job interview, you are giving the impression that you are still a "daddy's/mommy's little boy/girl" and this would make the employer think twice about hiring you. Sure, your parents or loved ones can provide moral support, but they will have to stay out of the employer's view. When you present yourself to the employer, you are appearing in your own capacity as a prospective applicant who clearly wants the job. You are not there as the son/daughter of _______, unless the employer is a friend of your parents. But still, bringing anyone with you will only make you look like you are not ready to face the world on your own.

I feel like a lot of people say to do what you see in the movies. I feel as if that's too cliche and wouldn't work. So my question is when you say "Dress for Success" should I really be heading to a McDonald's interview with a full on suit and tie?

You should spend a good amount of time in advance of the interview preparing a list of questions that you want to ask them about the role and their company. It really helps to show them that you are also trying to find out if their company is the right fit for you, they are not only interviewing you, you are in effect interviewing them. It's no hard feelings really if you discover that perhaps this isn't the right place for you during the interview process, they will likely respect you for coming to that conclusion if it happens, vs. wasting theirs and your time.

If you are going to be bringing a computer to do a presentation for them of some sort, don't forget to spend some time making sure everything on your computer is up to date and you've cleared out any embarrassing things from popping up - clear out your search history, auto suggest, disable any chat programs that might be running in the background so friends aren't surprising you with messages during the presentation, etc... Similarly, you don't want to get bombarded with Windows Updates when you need to use your computer the most.

I made this mistake once, since I only use my laptop on occasion, it may sit for weeks before I use it again. One time, I stalled the whole interview because I got bombarded with updates as soon as I booted up my system, and couldn't proceed until I installed them all.

I think #9 is a good one. The person doing the hiring is probably looking for someone they can feel comfortable leaving a large or important assignment with, let them know you will go above and beyond. But I would recommend only saying it once because you don't want to beat it to death.

As a former manager one of the biggest things you can do is to research the company. Know as much as you can about it. Not only what they do but who founded it, when, how have they grown, etc. One of the first questions I always asked and have been asked is, "what do you know about this company?"