+ Reply to Thread

What would happen if...

Okay, so Obama has been voted in as the next President of the US.

He will take over in January, formally, from Dubya, is that correct?

Until then, Dubya is still officially the President, right?

I know the following is improbable (highly), but indulge me.

Could (in theory), Bush delcare war on (for example), Iran, right now?

Technically, could he do that?

And if he technically could do that, what would then happen when Obama took over from him in Jan?

Just interested...

YWFT
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

Re: What would happen if...

presidents cannot declare war. only congress can. when W went into Iraq, he took the responsibility so congress, who has to get re-elected every two years, wouldn't have to take the blame. they can talk, blame bush, blah blah blah, but read the constitution and you will find:

the president does not declare war and the president does not borrow money or fund the army. these things are done only by order of congress.

Quote Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
    presidents cannot declare war. only congress can. when W went into Iraq, he took the responsibility so congress, who has to get re-elected every two years, wouldn't have to take the blame. they can talk, blame bush, blah blah blah, but read the constitution and you will find:

the president does not declare war and the president does not borrow money or fund the army. these things are done only by order of congress.
    Okay.

I will reword it then, buddy.

Could congress, while Dubya is still President, declare war on Iran (or any other nation), and what would happen when Obama took over in Jan?
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

the guy living in the white house would move out and the other guy woud move in. there are millions of government employees both in and out of uniform that would still go to work each day and do their job. if the job is advising farmers about milk prices in ohio or making fireworks in iran, its still just a job.

the chief exec is the chief exec. but if your local bank changes presidents you think your checks will suddenly be no good ?

this is just hypothetical case. i don't think pelosi has plans to launch war on iran or anybody else. but if congress makes a law concerning iran, then any president, commander in chief, is required to carry out that law to the best of his ability. congress is the judge of that and can remove the president if necessary.

the law that is higher than congressional law is international treaties. these are negotiated by the president and approved by the senate and overrule any laws made by congress.

NATO is one of these treaties. it says if russia attacks a NATO member the president will consider it the same as if russia had attacked the USA and respond accordiningly.

we also have treaties to protect tiawan, japan, s. korea and israel and perhaps some others i can't think of right now.

probably saudi arabia and kuwaite too.

Keith Olbermann Guest

Bush has 2 months and the capablity
    of declaring Martial Law

God help folks in either Seattle, Houston
    or Chicago as taking out American citizens
    is a fact of life Bush enjoys

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
    Okay, so Obama has been voted in as the next President of the US.

He will take over in January, formally, from Dubya, is that correct?

Until then, Dubya is still officially the President, right?

I know the following is improbable (highly), but indulge me.

Could (in theory), Bush delcare war on (for example), Iran, right now?

Technically, could he do that?

And if he technically could do that, what would then happen when Obama took over from him in Jan?

Just interested...

YWFT
    Bush is the president, he can do whatever he could do last week.

If Bush could hypothetically get the votes to go to war, he could do it tomorrow, but it would never happen, the democrats have run the Senate and House since 2006(they have majority) and wouldn't vote for war. Plus we dont have the ability to go to war with anyone else, thats why the rest of the world is acting up(Russia, Chavez, Frank in Iran, the freak in NK), they know we cant do nothing about it.

I dont know what Obama would do when he came in, but hed be screwed a little more than he already is.

I dont look for Georgie to start any wars, but I wouldnt put it past him to bail a few more industries with a few hundred billion bucks, everybody got their hand out now wanting some bailout money. Can he tell anyone no? Started a mess he did, you can always count on George for that. :chicken:

Obama got a tough road ahead, thats for sure. Hope he's the dude to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gussser
    DC You post on so many different subjects that it hard to keep up with it all. Unconfuse me---ARE YOU JEWISH?????
    Take the Quiz! Are you left?Right? Middle?

The Quiz!

Keith Olbermann Guest

Bush is desperate

His ass is liable to drop a nuke on Syria just to try and remind folks what a "bad ass" President he is