+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scam ? Geneva Tax & Legal Consulting

Hello,

I have been unemployed for several months and received an offer from a company who claims to have found my resume that I have posted on careerbuilder.com. I will post some of the correspondence below. Please tell me if you guys think this is legit or possible credit card fraud.
    ***Message #1***
    Hello, my name is Mark and I'm your support and hiring manager here, please let me introduce you to our work here in tax refund department.
    I have reviewed your resume once again and I find that you're the person to begin our conversation. I'd like to request a few simple actions to do before we proceed to our phone interview.

I kindly ask you to review company's handbook which is available through your "Documents" section.
    If you agree with handbook terms you can send me scanned & signed copies of signature pages via uploading it to your "Documents" section. (or just fax it)

A copy of your personal agreement is available for your consideration upon request.

Our tax department mainly provides income tax refunds for people who have worked abroad.
    We provide tax services for US and EU residents, US and EU citizens working overseas, Greencard holders, and non-residents with J, F, Q, O, P, and H visas as well as for construction, self-employed or PAYE standard workers.

Every tax return we file is totally legal and complaint with tax law. We have tax agents such as our Certified Public Accountant Nick Zimmer and his team in the US, and Rene Klimt in our Swiss office who sign-off every European tax return we file to make sure it meets all legal requirements.
    Our tax experts also check for any allowances or benefits one can get to make sure we apply for the maximum legal refund possible.

Our company is currently in active process of branching out in the U.S., planning to have regional offices, representatives and managers across the US.
    Our general development programme includes a basic Geneva Tax & Legal branch in your city and once a branch is opened your complete duties will include:

Assisting regional business manager and branch director in:

* Guiding financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
    * Monitoring and confirming salary and tax refund payouts by conducting audits; providing monthly financial statements to Management and the Board of Directors.
    * Performing payroll tax returns in the US and worldwide.
    * Collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data.
    * Monitoring client balances and interface with collections regarding clients who have not paid.
    * Monitoring cash flow and transfer tax refunds as required.
    * Confirming all invoices and input invoices into personal management system. (necessary section to be activated soon)
    * Verifying with accounting assistant per reports and pay as required.
    * Preparing payout information for administrators.
    * Preparing and submitting sales tax returns for TX,OK,GA,CA,IL,CO and for European branch clients.
    * Monitoring transactions.
    * Helping prepare branch required paperwork for Auditors prior to actual audit.
    * Participating in Audit process by providing information as required during the actual audit.
    * Reviewing audited financial statements and verify information is correct.
    * Protecting operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.

Assistant manager's basic salary is $4,500 USD per month for the first month of employment after 1 month of training and evaluation period. You're getting $3,000 USD while you're training.

You have to indicate your preferable working hours yourself via your "Timetable" section but only while we're preparing required paperwork and funds for office setup as we have scheduled a business trip of our development team which is going to work on Geneva Tax & Legal establishment in the U.S.

At this point you have to login to this system regularly and be available via phone. Please remember that your availability is very important for us, especially while you're on training, we have to be completely assured that you can perform various assignments in the shortest possible time. If you own a mobile phone we'd be glad to have your number, but if you don't we can provide a mobile for you.

I hope that our interview process and further mutual work will result in a well-done business with great benefits for both sides.

Regards,
    Mark.

Granted the handbook looks very professional and someone has put ALOT of work into it. But something is rubbing me the wrong way about all of this and I do not want to be an accomplice to a crime. Let me know what you think.... there is more correspondence that I can post as well.

Re: Scam ? Geneva Tax & Legal Consulting

I am 100% sure that this is payment processing scam. They will send you a fake check and ask to wire money somewhere oversees as "tax refund". Or they will send you a fake check to buy office equipment and send leftovers to them.

Please post their website to warn everybody. If I were in your place, I would bait them until getting fake check and then submit it to FBI.
    Last edited by BorisZ; 10-28-2008 at 11:00 AM.

The thing is that they have already told me that there would be no checks involved and that my bank account was my personal property and that they would not be asking me to use it for any reason. Everything would be done via this so-called corporate creit card. Which they state I would have no liability of payments on. And again I have NOT given them my SSN to open any kind of accounts in my name.

The company's website is:
    www/swiss-legal.com

I like the bait idea, I will do exactly that. Thanks !
    Last edited by dontbescamminme; 10-28-2008 at 11:07 AM.

Everything would be done via this so-called corporate credit card.
    At some point they will ask you to wire transfer your money. I have no doubt about it.

Our new online office technology provides training and mentoring from a personal support manager with over 10 years of experience.
    Interesting what kind of training they will give to you.

Every tax return we file is totally legal and complaint with tax law.
    This is a huge red flag. No legitimate company will ever tell you that their work is "legal". Only scammers do that. And what legitimate businessman would say "totally legal"? They would say "completely legitimate" or "entirely legitimate".

"yeah bro, its totally legal."
    Last edited by BorisZ; 10-28-2008 at 02:53 PM.

This is a huge red flag. No legitimate company will ever tell you that their work is "legal". Only scammers do that. And what legitimate businessman would say "totally legal"? They would say "completely legitimate" or "entirely legitimate".

"yeah bro, its totally legal."[/quote]

Yeah i agree, you are very correct. Not to mention the frequent mis-spellings in the correspondence. Being in the jobhunt right now is tough enough without these types of predators trying to take the little bit of money that you do have. Thanks again for the input. I was already suspicious but just wanted to see if anyone else felt the same as I do. Much appreciated !

I have received two of these:

Good morning,

Please read this message carefully and follow the instructions.

My name is Michael Morton and I'm the responsible manager for your
    employment interview.
    As our head office is located in Switzerland, and most of our employees are
    working in different countries, we have developed a unique employment
    programme which allows us reduce company expenses and provide you the most
    comfortable working conditions and a higher salary.

I'm providing a step-by-step guide below:

1. You have to register in our secure intranet at www.g-online.ch

(Click on the "registration" link when the site is loaded)

You will find your handbook, online survey, adjustable timetable, and a
    copy of your personal agreement inside your personal area.
    Your account is activated immediately, then you will have to login using
    your login and password and proceed to further interview process.

2. I'll be personally interviewing you via phone/e-mail (BUSINESS DAYS
    ONLY) to discuss further aspects of the job and provide you with the
    necessary information.

We appreciate your intention to work with us.

Best regards,
    Michael Morton
    HR dept. manager at U.S. business development branch.
    Geneva Tax & Consulting.
    U.S. fax and contact number : +1(888)386-5319

Internal message ID: b07Pr134goy4l3UY

and

Good morning!

Please read this message carefully and follow the instructions.
    My name is John Evans and I'm the responsible manager for your employment interview.
    As our head office is located in the Switzerland, and most of our employees are working in different countries, we have developed a unique
    employment programme which allows us reduce company expenses and provide you the most comfortable working conditions and a higher salary.

Here's how all this works:

1. Register in our intranet system at http://www.fs-managers.com (Use "registration" link when the web-site is loaded)
    Your account will be activated into some hours, then you will have to login using your login and password and proceed to further interview process.
    Important: don't forget login/password. All data encrypted. And we will not be able to provide it.

2. I'll be personally interviewing you via phone/e-mail at intranet e-mail (BUSINESS DAYS ONLY) to discuss further aspects of the job and provide
    you with the necessary information.

3. All information about company is availabe at our web-site www.finsolutions.biz
    (You can copy the address of web-site and paste it into Your internet browser.)

We appreciate your intention to work with us.
    With best regards, John Evans.
    HR Department
    Swiss Currency Exchange.

Icannot sign on to the "intranet" website any longer

Hi there geniuslp,

That first email you posted from Michael Morton is the exact same email I received as well.
    I just had a heated conversation with them yesterday in which they threatened to sue me if I posted anything on the internet about my experience in dealing with them. They then proceeded to immediately delete EVERY bit of correspondence we had ever had between us. No worries though, I copy and pasted it all to files on my system beforehand.
    They will end up offering you about 54k per year salary, have you print a very professional looking handbook etc. They have gone to extreme measures in an effort to look legit. Just avoid them at all costs.
    Oh and before I forget. Notice the contact number they put in the email .... if you call that number a professional sounding automated system answers and no matter what extension or option you press from that point, you get a recording asking you to please leave a message with your name and number. No dice though, they will NEVER call you back, atleast that is what happened to me.
    Last edited by dontbescamminme; 10-30-2008 at 06:58 AM.

Okay,
    I went ahead and dove right into this. I, for one, don't believe it is a scam. I have been working with them a few days now.
    They gave me their corporate card from an account manager in the company, and I even called the credit card company to verify that I was not the main account holder, and only an authorized user of the card. I was able to get the cash advances, and send them where they needed to go, without any of my personal or bank info involved, and they paid me in cash.
    I will continue to work for them, and do their daily tasks...I am actually enjoying the work I do for them
    ...But if I get scammed in any way, shape, or form from this company I will definately post it on here for you guys, but I do think it's legitimate, and so far no outta pocket or bank theft for me.
    I think Mark is a really nice man and he keeps in contact with me on a regualar basis, and is always there if I have a question or concern.
    Happy Day!

They gave me their corporate card from an account manager in the company, and I even called the credit card company to verify that I was not the main account holder, and only an authorized user of the card. I was able to get the cash advances, and send them where they needed to go, without any of my personal or bank info involved, and they paid me in cash.
    In the age of electronic transfers, they ask you to get cash advances and, I guess, wire to "people" by Western Union. Just wait for a month. Lets see when person who owns the card figure out you are making cash advances on it. Who is going to pay for all that? You?

P.S. I dare you to contact main account holder and ask him/her what relationship they have with this "company".
    Last edited by BorisZ; 11-05-2008 at 06:21 PM.

You know...I feel like a complete idiot. Not 5 minutes after posting that, my mother came and got me to talk to me about this job. She called the FBI About it, and they did in fact say it was a scam, so even so they give me upfront cash advances, were going to have me buy an iphone today with travel expenses and meal included, and even though I can't pay my rent his month and will probably end up homeless, I am not going to work for them anymore, as I do not want to end up in federal prison for money laundering.
    I, like alot of other people they have working for them, admit, I can be niave at times, especailly when someone is being nice and friendly to me. I like to think everyone is good usually, and it is a big downfall of mine.
    BIG SIGH! :-(
    I am just trying to make my life better for myself like alot of other people out there.
    I honestly don't know what to think. But I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

How could I go about finding out how to get a hold of the main card holder?..All I have is her name....
    Also right after I posted this, I can no longer get in their back office now either. Hmmmm.....
    Think I am gonna die my hair back to brunette, as the blonde hairdye does something to my brain i think lol.....Oh well, live and learn.

Gatekeepr check your private messages, hope my information helps!

Quote Originally Posted by gatekeeper View Post
    You know...I feel like a complete idiot. Not 5 minutes after posting that, my mother came and got me to talk to me about this job. She called the FBI About it, and they did in fact say it was a scam, .
    You got lucky that your mom is smart. Can you imagine how much in dip dodo would have you been after a month of cash advances from stolen credit card.

P.S. Your mom is probably not a blond? LOL.

Thank you for the info James! That is why I called the credit card company to make sure I wasn't the main account holder... however, There has been an interesting twist to all of this, and I will repost when I am given the go-ahead.
    But please do not deal with these people. They seem very much on the up and up, but they're not...

Hi Boris...Yeah my mother is a smart cookie!
    She has helped me out quite a bit with this...
    Actually she is a blonde, but my hair is much blonder..lol..maybe that has something to do with it.:crazy1:

There has been an interersting twist to all of this, so i will post about it when given the go-ahead...but I need to keep some things on the DL...

Yes, I can imagine if I had done a month's worth of cash advances with someone's card that wasn't even aware of what was going on. I am anything but a theif and it would make me ill to know I did something like that.
    They confirmed to me several times I would have my pay for training by the 16th of this month for $3,000...Sigh....(OMG!!! How that would help my situation SO MUCH!)

But, I guess if you're into money laundering, and you don't mind going to federal prison, then this would be an awesome job for you...Otherwise, I don't suggest anyone chance it....As tempting as it is, I'm not going to take that chance again.

I just can't see any facts here... Seems a bit strange for me, since I've found out some information which proves their legitimacy. I'm not trying to rush to any conclusions, but a friend of mine is working for them, and the position is not about any worldwide cash transfers. As far as I know, they're yet to be established here in U.S...

I'm afraid you guys are stampeding here, and just not aware on how are foreign businesses run.

JamesL