+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

New Mars Lander/Rover.

NASA is talking about [seriously] the manufacture, launching and landing of another Mars Rover; to Mars of course.. THe thing is about the size of a typical S.U.V. IT can drill into rocks and pick up rather large objects.
    ANyone have a clue as to how this will tell us anything more than the two prsent Rovers.
    As well, anyone heard lately of any activity by these ROvers. Are they still operational. I think they have opeated longer than was previously thought.
    Also, what do you thiink about the government spending these many more billions of dollars on sending machinery to a dead planet when the nation's citizens could use a good health-care plan?
    Vasudeva

Re: New Mars Lander/Rover.

Quote Originally Posted by coontie View Post
    NASA is talking about [seriously] the manufacture, launching and landing of another Mars Rover; to Mars of course.. THe thing is about the size of a typical S.U.V. IT can drill into rocks and pick up rather large objects.
    ANyone have a clue as to how this will tell us anything more than the two prsent Rovers.
    As well, anyone heard lately of any activity by these ROvers. Are they still operational. I think they have opeated longer than was previously thought.
    Also, what do you thiink about the government spending these many more billions of dollars on sending machinery to a dead planet when the nation's citizens could use a good health-care plan?
    Hey. As I'm sure you could have guessed I'm all for it. NASA's budget is tiny compared to what is needed for healthcare. Annual budget is about $17 billion, of which $3 billion is for exploration (the rest goes into things like monotoring the atmosphere, launching satellites, education etc..).

One of the difficult things about a project like this is that it's hard to know what sort of practical benefits it will bring, but that doesn't mean there won't be any. Previous space programs have given us kidney dialysis machines, CAT scanners, developments in physiotherapy and the computer algorithms that analyse MRI machines - that's just in healthcare. We've also got cordless power tools, teflon, microwaves, the protective gear race car drivers wear, hazardous gas detectors..... the list goes on and on.

Being in physics, the sentiments you express are something I'm quite familiar with. In physics we do research for the sake of research - it's usually very expensive and there is often no obvious practical application. The things that we learn probably won't be applied for 20 or 30 years, but we do the research anyway. If previous generations hadn't done this then we wouldn't be having this conversation because there would be no computers, no internet, no electricity, no x-ray scanners, no MRI machines... etc.

sounds expensive!?bad timing given the current financial crisis!?but i'm sure it can be sold on all kinds of nonsense!?:freak3: :spin2: : hehe!!......just askn....
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

I appreciate research. But I agree with LEXX - bad timing. You know, they aren't finished sddling us with more debt, yet.
    Kazza, I realize you're Aussie. You folks, as with all of humanioty, have you issues, problems thre, but it is hardly the time to be talking about apending money for Mars when we have other more important priorities.
    By the way. I am hearing that this economical situation has affected countries all over the Planet. How is Australia fairing in the situation.
    I cannot really say that I understand the situation in regards to it affecting countries/people worldwide. I have faily good insight to what happened here - a bunch of greedy corporate individuals with no concious regarding the people they were set up to scam. Otherwise, some rather complicated and involved financial manipulating tht came back around full circle to bit them in the butt.
    So of course, who gets to pay to fix the mess? Well, you know the answet. I am sure you have read enough regarding our bitching about the matter.
    Vasudeva

I appreciate research. But I agree with LEXX - bad timing. You know, they aren't finished sddling us with more debt, yet.
    Kazza, I realize you're Aussie. You folks, as with all of humanioty, have you issues, problems thre, but it is hardly the time to be talking about apending money for Mars when we have other more important priorities.
    By the way. I am hearing that this economical situation has affected countries all over the Planet. How is Australia fairing in the situation.
    I cannot really say that I understand the situation in regards to it affecting countries/people worldwide. I have faily good insight to what happened here - a bunch of greedy corporate individuals with no concious regarding the people they were set up to scam. Otherwise, some rather complicated and involved financial manipulating tht came back around full circle to bit them in the butt.
    So of course, who gets to pay to fix the mess? Well, you know the answet. I am sure you have read enough regarding our bitching about the matter.
    If I may get back to mars for a second. In a way I really believe that they are seriously looking at placing a colony there in order to bring some new life back to that planet and try to regenerate its atmosphere fo example to make it safe for us to be there.

I agree with that. However, we are years away from that. I hope you realize that you nor I will ever lie to probably even see the first human set foot on Mars [again?] Who knows...
    Vasudeva

It may not seem like a priority now, but if America is to remain an economic and military superpower then investment in science is essential. Over the past 8 years science funding has fallen drastically and universities are struggling to attract science and mathematics students. The effect of this won't be evident for some 20 years, but when the current generation of scientists retires and there's no one to replace them America is going to suffer.

As of 2010 the space shuttle will be retired. After that America will no longer be able to put a man in space and will be entirely dependent on Russia and China. It won't be until 2014 when the Mars project (project Constellation, spaceship Orion) will be ready for a manned launch. Even just looking at it from a national security perspective this is a terrible position to be in.

Australia is in a much better position than most countries. We've taken a hit but our economy is closely tied to China, which buys all our raw materials. Our banks are also much more stable and have larger capital reserves than most others around the world.

I agree with that. However, we are years away from that. I hope you realize that you nor I will ever lie to probably even see the first human set foot on Mars [again?] Who knows...
    The current schedule would put a man on Mars in 2037. I'll be in my 50s then, but maybe not too old to hitch a ride :rasta:

It is too bad we didn't start many years ago on a new platform to replace the shuttle. Right now the shuttle is outdated, and the missions using them are becoming much more dangerous than what they were before. The mission to fix the space telescope may be impossible now, and that is truly a shame. Also we limit our ability to get to the ISS.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza View Post
    The current schedule would put a man on Mars in 2037. I'll be in my 50s then, but maybe not too old to hitch a ride :rasta:
    If I live to experience that I will be 101 years old... Don't know if I care to hang around that long.
    Oh well, maybe in another lifetime, eh? Who knows...
    Vasudeva

Notice all these trips are unmanned...man cannot live in outer space due to sun's radiation...

If I live to experience that I will be 101 years old... Don't know if I care to hang around that long.
    Oh well, maybe in another lifetime, eh? Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by AXJ View Post
    Notice all these trips are unmanned...man cannot live in outer space due to sun's radiation...
    Notice that KAZZA suggested "manned flight".
    Vasudeva

Notice that KAZZA suggested "manned flight".
    I think it would be something worth working towards. It would be very difficult to say the least. Though things like the radiation from the sun is something through good science we can overcome. A manned trip to mars is something I think we have been working towards. Such as using the ISS to work on how long periods in space affect us, and how to overcome how difficult it is to spend long periods of time in zero G. We have though gone about a manned mission to Mars the wrong way in some aspects, and correct in others. For example a good thing was we searched for water on Mars, and found that there is plenty of water there. That will give us the ability to only use the fuel we need to get to Mars, because it would it would be very difficult to cary enough fuel to do a round trip. With water on Mars we will have the ability to make fuel there to get back to Earth. The failure, and this is a shame is the ISS. We have spent billions on this, and sure it has benefits for science. Though think if they would of planned ahead and designed as not only a research center but a launch platform. You would not need near the energy required to overcome the gravity of Earth. This would make missions to the Moon alot easier, and a manned mission to Mars very possible.

Quote Originally Posted by AXJ View Post
    Yep, I know you think that. I notice you never replied to me in the conspiracy theory thread on Nibiru. If you really think that man has never been to space because of radiation then I'd be happy to clear things up for you. I'm as close to an expert on radiation as your likely to find (since I do research in X-ray physics). Ask me any questions you like.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza View Post
    Yep, I know you think that. I notice you never replied to me in the conspiracy theory thread on Nibiru. If you really think that man has never been to space because of radiation then I'd be happy to clear things up for you. I'm as close to an expert on radiation as your likely to find (since I do research in X-ray physics). Ask me any questions you like.
    I am no expert about radiation in space, and how it could affect us for say long periods of time traveling to say, mars. Though we did get to the moon. So I feel through science, this should be doable. As I stated in my last post. I am sure that by the time we do a manned mission to mars, that we will have overcome any problems presented by being out in space for long periods of time.

I believe that there will be manned missions to MArs. As well, colonies will be established. Likely in sealed living spaces. Will take many years to manufacture, deliver there and construct. But it will happene. Humans will go even farther out into space.
    I think it is a good idea to use unmanned probes as much as posible to explore and protect humans from obvious hazard. But when some interesting, notable is found, then humans will have the urget to go there and should.
    I'm thinking about other dimension travel as well and the possibility of parallel dimesion and such that are just merely shifted by the element of time. I think that there will be some devlpments in this regard as well.
    COuld be the answer as to where some of these E.T.'s come from, csince they have been observed to blink in and blink out of our dimension reality.
    Ther are a lot of things we humahns do not know about yet, but will eventually become aware of. SOmevery unbelievable discoveries and achievemnets. And a lot of it will be the same old "why didn't we think of that before" situation.
    I wish I could be around for a lot of it as I know there will be some awesome and exciting devolpments.
    Much of what we know and do today will be classified as primitive in another hundred years or so.
    As well, I think there is materials and projects being worked on that very few people are aware of. Some of it probably falls within the realm of what is termed "magical".
    Vasudeva