+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

'Religulous', the Movie....

Bill Maher, talk show host, comedian, social commentator, has produced and released a new movie called 'Religulous'.

It had momnets that made me laugh out loud and a few that made me squirm a little.

It was excellent!

Please comment if you've seen it or intend to, or are not going to see it, why?

Here's the youtube trailer; www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB8fPJ6zds8

Kerry Hein

Re: 'Religulous', the Movie....

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    Bill Maher, talk show host, comedian, social commentator, has produced and released a new movie called 'Religulous'.

It had momnets that made me laugh out loud and a few that made me squirm a little.

It was excellent!

Please comment if you've seen it or intend to, or are not going to see it, why?

Here's the youtube trailer; www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB8fPJ6zds8

Kerry Hein
    I've seen the commercials and it looks like it would be interesting. Whether I am able to see it is another question. I may have to wait for the DVD. :rotz:
    It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs.

"All things are perfect to every last flaw and bound in accord with Eris's Law."
    -HBT; The Book of Advice 1:7

Hate Bill Maher as person, talk show host, comedian and social commentator. Always switch channel when his show is on.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti_thesisofreason View Post
    I've seen the commercials and it looks like it would be interesting. Whether I am able to see it is another question. I may have to wait for the DVD. :rotz:
    Too bad you have to wait for the DVD. It's worth the wait.

Thanks for posting!

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by borisf96 View Post
    Hate Bill Maher as person, talk show host, comedian and social commentator. Always switch channel when his show is on.
    What's the problem? 'Hate' is a pretty strong word, Boris! Just something about his personality that 'rubs you the wrong way'?

Thanks for posting your opinion though, Boris.

Any comments to add about the subject of the film, or even the satyrical name, at least?

Just curious.

Kerry

I like Bill Maher... in small doses. I'm just not a fan of politically motivated, socially relevant movies with an agenga. When I want to watch a movie I want to be entertained... not taught, not 'preached to', not educated, not shown how foolish I may or may not be... entertained.

If I want to watch a movie that is thought provoking I'll watch something with an obscure, twisting plot and a surprise ending.

Too bad you have to wait for the DVD. It's worth the wait.

Thanks for posting!

Kerry
    I would really like to see it but it's hard for the wife and I to get out without the kids and I can't see it being something the kids would want to see or sit through (not so sure the wife would either ). So the only option is to wait for the DVD, however if it's like any other documentary type movie it probably won't do well and will be on DVD as soon as they can get it there.

"All things are perfect to every last flaw and bound in accord with Eris's Law."

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    I like Bill Maher... in small doses. I'm just not a fan of politically motivated, socially relevant movies with an agenga. When I want to watch a movie I want to be entertained... not taught, not 'preached to', not educated, not shown how foolish I may or may not be... entertained.

If I want to watch a movie that is thought provoking I'll watch something with an obscure, twisting plot and a surprise ending.
    I doubt that Bill Maher does . . . but I'm interested to see his side of it and where he expects to take the audience.

I'm wondering if he just goes around talking to people about religion in general (as per the commercials) without really taking the time to learn about the religions he's talking about. Or does he actually take the time to understand what religion is all about and actually try to understand what the different religions of the world have to offer.
    Is he approaching religion from a sarcastic non-believer point of view without really trying to understand and is he just trying to poke fun at people who believe.

Thats another reason I will wait for the DVD I'd rather loose five or six bucks on a disappointment rather than fifty and walk out in the middle because I can't take any more.

I would really like to see it but it's hard for the wife and I to get out without the kids and I can't see it being something the kids would want to see or sit through (not so sure the wife would either ). So the only option is to wait for the DVD, however if it's like any other documentary type movie it probably won't do well and will be on DVD as soon as they can get it there.
    It's OK.

It's worth the wait. And you're right, it won't be long before it hits the shelf.

Thanks for commenting!

Kerry

I doubt that Bill Maher does . . . but I'm interested to see his side of it and where he expects to take the audience.

I'm wondering if he just goes around talking to people about religion in general (as per the commercials) without really taking the time to learn about the religions he's talking about.
    He was raised in a catholic home,(fr/his father), but his Mother was Jewish.
    Or does he actually take the time to understand what religion is all about and actually try to understand what the different religions of the world have to offer.
    It appears he's done his research for the film. He's well versed in the different theologies for the film, to help him make his points.
    Is he approaching religion from a sarcastic non-believer point of view without really trying to understand and is he just trying to poke fun at people who believe.
    Yes and no. IMO, He manages to stay well within the grey area between sarcasm, and genuinely seeking knowledge. It's excellent 'food for thought' throughout.

Thats another reason I will wait for the DVD I'd rather loose five or six bucks on a disappointment rather than fifty and walk out in the middle because I can't take any more.
    Fifty! Wow! You have some high end theatres in your area! Yikes!

Thanks for commenting.

Kerry

Fifty! Wow! You have some high end theatres in your area! Yikes!

Thanks for commenting.

Kerry
    Well if my wife were to go with me and after we paid for popcorn and drinks it would probably be about fifty dollars.

Well if my wife were to go with me and after we paid for popcorn and drinks it would probably be about fifty dollars.
    You're right. I forgot, as I don't go for the snacks ever, as their too pricey & crappy for you. It's not that I can't afford it, it's a health thing more than anything. All that food behind those couners ir either horrible food or just a plain ripoff. I bring my own snacks usually, if I have to eat.

If you purchase their sludge it's easily half a yard.

I remember now!

Interesting noone's seen it but me still...:blunt:

KLH

Interesting noone's seen it but me still...:blunt:

KLH
    how interesting!?what IS interesting!?inner resting!?enter rest!?the how!?how does 1 actually do it!?is saying it already the throwing out for affirmation/deflection of the that possibility yet to be fully REALIZED!?dont wanna leave the known world we all love/hate!?is it to be totally alone,a dreadful thing to consider with wrongly influenced/educated thought!?but,if i were part of/creator of a sufficient cash flow that allowed me to whimsically entertain myself with every recommended new commercial thing,and stay adequately reserved for every conceived emergency monetary drain,then yah,id'a seen it by now!?or,maybe to me,it does not SEEM that INTERESTING!?: :crazy1: :judges: hehe!!.....just askn..
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by lexx View Post
    how interesting!?what IS interesting!?inner resting!?enter rest!?the how!?how does 1 actually do it!?is saying it already the throwing out for affirmation/deflection of the that possibility yet to be fully REALIZED!?dont wanna leave the known world we all love/hate!?is it to be totally alone,a dreadful thing to consider with wrongly influenced/educated thought!?but,if i were part of/creator of a sufficient cash flow that allowed me to whimsically entertain myself with every recommended new commercial thing,and stay adequately reserved for every conceived emergency monetary drain,then yah,id'a seen it by now!?or,maybe to me,it does not SEEM that INTERESTING!?: :crazy1: :judges: hehe!!.....just askn..
    Um, ...O..K...!?

Anyone else have a comment? Just askn...

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm aware that some religious groups are asking people to boycott the movie.

It looks to be somewhat entertaining.

I believe the whole gist of the film is Bill asking questions about religion that others would probably not ask, and just getting people to think about their chosen religion from a different perspective.

I've watched the trailer and interviews of Bill.

It should be interesting.