+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

McCain Afraid to Debate Obama?

GLOBE EDITORIAL
    McCain's debate stunt

September 25, 2008
    REPUBLICAN NOMINEE John McCain called yesterday for postponing tomorrow's presidential debate until the resolution of the financial mess on Wall Street, and even vowed to suspend his campaign to concentrate on finding a solution. A delay could change the dynamics of a campaign that has not gone well for him in the last two weeks. And perhaps McCain hopes the gesture would make him look as if he were putting politics aside amid an emergency.
    But altering the debate schedule would hardly serve voters. If anything, debates are most valuable at times of national crisis, because voters need to hear candidates highlight their policy differences.
    And while the subject of tomorrow's debate is foreign policy, not economics, the Wall Street crisis casts shadows all around the world. A darkening financial picture inhibits the nation's ability to keep troops abroad, for instance, and alters its relationship with China and major oil nations.
    McCain's desire to seize the initiative is understandable, for the meltdown on an ill-regulated Wall Street is the harshest indictment possible of Republican stewardship of the economy. And McCain's initial response to the mess - his odd claim that the fundamentals of the economy are strong - made him look out of touch. But if he now thinks the problem can be tidied up during a short break from the campaign trail, he needs some new economic advisers.
    McCain has already brought discredit upon his campaign by shielding running mate Sarah Palin from hostile questions. This impulsive new stunt makes him appear unsteady and underprepared, too. America can work through a financial crisis and handle a campaign at the same time.
    In politics as on Broadway, the show must go on.

Re: McCain Afraid to Debate Obama?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    GLOBE EDITORIAL
    McCain's debate stunt

September 25, 2008
    REPUBLICAN NOMINEE John McCain called yesterday for postponing tomorrow's presidential debate until the resolution of the financial mess on Wall Street, and even vowed to suspend his campaign to concentrate on finding a solution. A delay could change the dynamics of a campaign that has not gone well for him in the last two weeks. And perhaps McCain hopes the gesture would make him look as if he were putting politics aside amid an emergency.
    But altering the debate schedule would hardly serve voters. If anything, debates are most valuable at times of national crisis, because voters need to hear candidates highlight their policy differences.
    And while the subject of tomorrow's debate is foreign policy, not economics, the Wall Street crisis casts shadows all around the world. A darkening financial picture inhibits the nation's ability to keep troops abroad, for instance, and alters its relationship with China and major oil nations.
    McCain's desire to seize the initiative is understandable, for the meltdown on an ill-regulated Wall Street is the harshest indictment possible of Republican stewardship of the economy. And McCain's initial response to the mess - his odd claim that the fundamentals of the economy are strong - made him look out of touch. But if he now thinks the problem can be tidied up during a short break from the campaign trail, he needs some new economic advisers.
    McCain has already brought discredit upon his campaign by shielding running mate Sarah Palin from hostile questions. This impulsive new stunt makes him appear unsteady and underprepared, too. America can work through a financial crisis and handle a campaign at the same time.
    In politics as on Broadway, the show must go on.

I think I disagree with this almost completely.
    First, it is just a debate. It can be rescheduled. To act like a debate is a bigger deal than what is currently happening is beyond idiotic.
    Second, both McCain and Obama are senators with jobs to do. I don't care if they are running a campaign or not, they are getting paid as senators.

The one thing I agree with is that this is a political move. I doubt McCain is afraid to debate Obama, rather he saw an opportunity to look presidential. He took the opportunity to set aside bipartisan politics and invited Obama to do the same. I have no doubt some of that is show, but it was also the right decision. It's funny how those two things can occasionally agree.

I think Obama lost my vote with this move. For him to simply reject the idea of rescheduling the debate shows he does not, and probably never will have the best interests of this country in mind. He is doing this for power and money.

I may not agree with McCain. But I do believe that he will try his best to do what he believes is best for this country. Even if he falls short, that is all I can ask of anyone.
    "Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Jreed View Post
    I think I disagree with this almost completely.
    First, it is just a debate. It can be rescheduled. To act like a debate is a bigger deal than what is currently happening is beyond idiotic.
    Second, both McCain and Obama are senators with jobs to do. I don't care if they are running a campaign or not, they are getting paid as senators.

The one thing I agree with is that this is a political move. I doubt McCain is afraid to debate Obama, rather he saw an opportunity to look presidential. He took the opportunity to set aside bipartisan politics and invited Obama to do the same. I have no doubt some of that is show, but it was also the right decision. It's funny how those two things can occasionally agree.

I think Obama lost my vote with this move. For him to simply reject the idea of rescheduling the debate shows he does not, and probably never will have the best interests of this country in mind. He is doing this for power and money.

I may not agree with McCain. But I do believe that he will try his best to do what he believes is best for this country. Even if he falls short, that is all I can ask of anyone.
    Sure.. Everybody knows that Repukes would never dream of exploiting a national crisis for crass political purposes. roflrofl
    Last edited by dchristie; 09-25-2008 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie View Post
    Sure.. Everybody knows that Repukes would never dream of exploiting a national crisis for crass political purposes. roflrofl
    And of course a democrat would never dream of such a thing. :

Give your bullshit partisan crap a break. They are politicians...it's what they do. You and Obama are just pissed that neither of you thought of it before McCain.
    -John Wayne

Do you seriously think McCain would be doing this if he weren't falling in the polls?

Really?

Do you seriously think McCain would be doing this if he weren't falling in the polls?

Really?
    Sure.
    Why wouldn't he?

#1 It is a smart political move that most of America will probably agree with. Even if he was leading in the polls, it's a saavy move that will probably get votes.

#2 He's a senator and it happens to be part of his job.

It's a win win for him. Why wouldn't he do it? And now, if he wants to...he can rub Obamas face in it.
    -John Wayne

And of course a democrat would never dream of such a thing. :

Give your bullshit partisan crap a break. They are politicians...it's what they do. You and Obama are just pissed that neither of you thought of it before McCain.
    Ha..ha..ha.. Yeah..I admit ...crawling back into the woodwork of Congress to hide in order to avoid answering some serious questions before The American People in an open public debate is something that didn't occur to me and, clearly, to Obama either.

You know, the process of navigating the technical minutiae of the largest national economy on the planet going bust just can't proceed with "the economy isn't my strong point" McCain. Gimme a ing break.

But, of course, now - all of a sudden - these gibbering Monkeys are concerned with McCain rushing back to DC to punch the Senate payroll time clock for the three hours he would spend debating Obama cause "that's his job" Ha! Ya can't make this stuff up. Only Monkeys can come up with a load of bullshit like this...when their boy is losing.

And you have the gall to mention partisan bullshit? Typical

"My friend", you have bullshit partisan crap hanging all over your face.
    Last edited by dchristie; 09-25-2008 at 08:18 AM.

Sure.
    Why wouldn't he?

#1 It is a smart political move that most of America will probably agree with. Even if he was leading in the polls, it's a saavy move that will probably get votes.
    So he is taking advantage of a crisis he in no small part is at least partially responsible for by sponsoring the deregulation fever in the 90s and again in 02?

Yeah, what a savvy stand up guy!
    :nervouss:

#2 He's a senator and it happens to be part of his job.

It's a win win for him. Why wouldn't he do it? And now, if he wants to...he can rub Obamas face in it.
    What's he going to do? Sponsor more deregulation legislation, then blame it on Obama?

He wasn't all that effective before apparently...

So he is taking advantage of a crisis he in no small part is at least partially responsible for by sponsoring the deregulation fever in the 90s and again in 02?

Yeah, what a savvy stand up guy!
    :nervouss:

What's he going to do? Sponsor more deregulation legislation, then blame it on Obama?

He wasn't all that effective before apparently...
    Are you really that bitter? The Dems are all up in arms because Obama didn't come up with this idea first. That's the only real reason you're upset.

McCain made a smart political move and you're acting like a little ing baby that didn't get his way. And Obama comes off looking like he only cares about himself.

It isn't even taking advantage of the crisis when he is offering to help resolve it. How successful he will be doesn't matter. At least he's willing. Unlike the talking head.
    -John Wayne

THERE ISN'T ANYTHING MCCAIN OR ANYONE CAN DO TO PREVENT THE CRISIS FROM HAPPENING! It's a total political move and everyone I talk to (Dems and Reps) can't figure out why McCain wouldn't want to debate tomorrow. This problem will continue into the next term and the American People need to hear what the candidates are going to do to try and right the boat.

It's a coward move on his part.
    Deth is always approaching, live while you can...

Gee. These all would be really good points except for one thing. Last I heard...Obama can't talk without a teleprompter. At least not very well.

And as I understand it...McCain asked to reschedule, not cancel. Perhaps I heard that wrong. I don't think there is any need to cancel.

I understand that those of you who blindly follow a political party (repub, and dem) start to froth at the mouth over really small things like this. But realistically a delay to a debate is a non-issue.

I realize McCain and Obama can't do too much to help...but it is an important issue they should be involved in. ESPECIALLY considering one of them will have to deal with it as president.
    -John Wayne

To debate or not to debate...hmmm...that topic has become a nice debate of it's own...

I think we can all agree that there is no debate of the need for a debate between the two debaters...

Wheter or not the debate needs to happen tomorrow or in the remaining weeks of the campaign is debatable...

Any debate on this...??? Come on...who's gonna take da-bait...???

Are you really that bitter? The Dems are all up in arms because Obama didn't come up with this idea first. That's the only real reason you're upset.

McCain made a smart political move and you're acting like a little ing baby that didn't get his way. And Obama comes off looking like he only cares about himself.

It isn't even taking advantage of the crisis when he is offering to help resolve it. How successful he will be doesn't matter. At least he's willing. Unlike the talking head.
    What a comical three ring farce these Monkeys deliver. They never disappoint. The World would be a far less humorous and entertaining place without them.

In their world of inverse reality, they're hoping against hope that engaging in their usual infantile name calling is sufficient to divert attention away from their boy as he crawls under the ropes trying to escape the relentless beating he's getting.

And as the crowd protests for him to come back into the ring and give them their money's worth - he's running for the front door to hail a cab and leave town.

It's a funny thing how the guy who's getting his ass kicked wants to call a time out. How odd is that? ..LOL

I think Obama should go through with the debate and let the moderators address their questions to an empty podium on McCain's side.

We'll get a far better reflection of truth and honesty that way.
    Last edited by dchristie; 09-25-2008 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie View Post
    What a comical three ring farce these Monkeys deliver. They never disappoint. The World would be a far less humorous and entertaining place without them.
    In their world of inverse reality, they're hoping against hope that engaging in their usual infantile name calling is sufficient to divert attention away from their boy as he crawls under the ropes trying to escape the relentless beating he's getting.
    And as the crowd protests for him to come back into the ring and give them their money's worth - he's running for the front door to hail a cab and leave town.
    It's a funny thing how the guy who's getting his ass kicked wants to call a time out. How odd is that? ..LOL
    I think Obama should go through with the debate and let the moderators address their questions to an empty podium on McCain's side.
    We'll get a far better reflection of truth and honesty that way.
    What's funny...is from what I hear of your savior, debating himself might be the only way he can win.
    But we'll see. His speaches are nothing but rhetoric...perhaps when asked a direct question he can answer.

I am an independant voter. I dislike both candidates and WAS leaning towards Obama. It's taken freak-shows like you to convince me that the democrats have even less to offer than the repubs. (And don't give me any bullshit about not being a dem.)

And in my personal opinion, Obama made a political mistake by not accepting McCains attempt to reschedule. I think it makes him look bad to the public. Both candidates could have come together in a show of non-partisanship to help alleviate the countries fears...and it would have been the classy thing to do. (Not that you even know what that means)

But hey...if you want to blindly disregard that because of your blind hate for republicans, jews, israel, and everything else you hate, be my guest. You're nothing more than a keyboard warrior anyway. So why don't you take one of those monkeys you keep talking about and shove it straight up your ass.

Attachment 7059
    -John Wayne

But hey...if you want to blindly disregard that because of your blind hate for republicans, jews, israel, and everything else you hate, be my guest. You're nothing more than a keyboard warrior anyway. So why don't you take one of those monkeys you keep talking about and shove it straight up your ass.

Attachment 7059
    Undebatable Jreed...absolutely undebatable...

Know what I love about all this. Obama had to get a phone call from the boss to tell him "get to Washington boy". McCain was already there on his own. Obama said "yes sir" didn't he? I really think he is a fine young man, very respectable to others. He'll go somewhere someday.