+ Reply to Thread

Great blog post on people suspected of being scammed.

The only reason I can come up with for spending time here is "for the thought experiments". Debating viable topics and off course shooting down and laughing at the ridiculous is good thought practice. I have only looked at that other scam site a few times but this time I saw a link to the A MLM Skeptic. I have no idea who this person is and I'm sure he is some anti-MLM bigot but this one post is great. Very thought provoking.

How To Help People You Suspect Are Being Scammed
    Read the whole post but this sums it up

And you will need a quick lesson in critical thinking, and understand what is a "null hypothesis". I suggest you research a bit of critical thinking on your own before you attempt this "intervention". Null hypothesis is best described as unknown / indeterminate state. If the premise is "WooPlus cures cancer", the null hypothesis would be "we don't know whether WooPlus cures cancer or not". the ANTI-premise is "WooPlus does NOT cure cancer". Facts and Logic (evidence) are suppose to move you from null hypothesis toward the premise. When there's not enough evidence you're left with the null hypothesis, not the anti-premise. Yet many people mistake the critical thinking process into thinking that it's either the premise, or the anti-premise, with no null hypothesis.

The thing that popped into my head is how religious people think that way. Example. Some error is revealed in a study of evolution and Christians will say "see, the bible is right" as if that is the default. Not exactly the same but close.

http://amlmskeptic.blogspot.com/2013...spect-are.html

Re: Great blog post on people suspected of being scammed.

Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    The only reason I can come up with for spending time here is "for the thought experiments".

Anther great article that anyone considering any claims should ask. MLM or not.

Introduction

A dozen multi-level marketing companies are launched every day, and all of them claim to be "the next big thing". Unfortunately, too many of them are just... baloney. So how do you tell which ones are baloney, and which ones are not?

Why have a test at all? Because you should NEVER believe everything you hear. That's the entire point of being a skeptic, and that applies to everybody.

Michael Shermer, noted skeptic, has a list of 10 questions you should ask to test any claim (pseudo-science or not). He called it "Baloney Detection Kit", and works great against pseudoscience.

I snipped the detail but it should be read.

Test 1: How Reliable is the Source?
    Test 2: Has the claimant made similar claims before?
    Test 3: Is there ANY neutral third-party verification of the claim?
    Test 4: Does the claim fit within what we know about how things work?
    Test 5: did the source set out to prove or disprove the claim?
    Test 6: What does MAJORITY of the evidence say about the claim?
    Test 7: Did the claimant use commonly accepted logic, rules, and definitions for the claim?
    Test 8: Is Claimant providing explanation for observation, or is denying existing explanation?
    Test 9: If Claimant is providing new explanation, does this explanation cover as much data as the old explanation?
    Test 10: Does the claimant's personal beliefs and biases influence the claim, or is it the other way around?

http://kschang.hubpages.com/hub/How-...LM-Opportunity

Anther great article that anyone considering any claims should ask. MLM or not.

I snipped the detail but it should be read.

http://kschang.hubpages.com/hub/How-...LM-Opportunity
    Its pretty simple this business.......if you want to be successful don't make any outlandish claims.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    Its pretty simple this business.......if you want to be successful don't make any outlandish claims.
    Stick to proven Imperial Chinese prescriptions right?

Stick to proven Imperial Chinese prescriptions right?
    Not for me thanks.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    Not for me thanks.
    Agree, that would be silly

Agree, that would be silly
    Anyone who tries to build a business using product claims is indeed being very silly.