+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

John Deere 5205 for $2,900

please be aware of the scam trying to sell a John Deere tractor that is worth 30k or more for $2,900. This has been advertised all over the web and in papers across the country. Figuring this was a scam I pumped the person for information, please see the below "story" when I asked to have a friend who lived 30 miles from him come view the tractor and pay cash on the spot...

We had to sell the farm after my brother fell off a horse and got paralyzed. We had to get $200,000 for surgery that can only be made in China. After we sold the land where the farm was and some of the machineries we have now $175000, very close to $200k.
    Usually I would allow you to come here and inspect the tractor but now, because of my busy schedule and because of the problems that I have with my brother, it's impossible.
    For making this a lot more easier and faster I would like to use Yahoo Finance to complete this transaction.
    I'm sending you all the pictures I have. Description: Make: John Deere, Fuel: Diesel, Model: 5205, Engine Cylinders: 3, Model Year: 2005, Engine HP: 56, Hours: 329, Transmission Type: Synchro Shift Drive: 4WD, Condition: Used, Serial Number: LV5205C621842 Here are the transaction steps: Buyer and Seller Agree to Terms, Both parties agree to terms of the transaction, which includes a description of the merchandise, sale price, number of days for the Buyer's inspection ( 3 days ).
    Buyer Pays: The Buyer submits a payment proof. Yahoo! Finance verifies the payment.
    Seller Ships Merchandise Upon payment verification, the Seller is authorized to ship merchandise and submit tracking information. Yahoo! Finance verifies that the Buyer receives the shipment.
    Buyer Accepts the merchandise The Buyer has a set number of days for an inspection and the option to accept or reject the merchandise. (in this case 3 days)
    Yahoo! Finance Pays the Seller
    If this is ok with you please reply with your complete name, address and shipping address in your next email and let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about this purchase so that I can open a transaction case at Yahoo! Finance and move forward with this deal. You will also need to make a free Yahoo! e-mail account in order to receive the invoice.
    Thank you,
    Ricky

Re: John Deere 5205 for $2,900

As of May 2009 this same guy is "selling" a John Deere 4110 tractor for $4,400. Just like before, he's got ads in newspapers nationwide and on their sites -- hundreds of them.

After he varifies that you're some kind of easy target, he sends you this document from a fake "yahoo finance" address. Note "Scott's" address is actually a baseball field in Ohio. You're supposed to MoneyGram $4,400 to an incomplete address in New York City. THEN fax the receipt to "Yahoo" at (206)-984-2028.

This is the con's unlisted number and it's the receipt that he's ultimately after. Combine the receipt with a MailGram transaction that isn't going to be claimed and -- you get the picture.

The emails HE writes make one think of a well educated middle-aged American. His cut and paste documents often look like they were written by someone whose native language isn't English.

Here is the "yahoo finance" document he sends victims:

Yahoo Finance Transaction ID: xxxxxxx

Dear "name of victim" ,
    We can confirm you that you are fully protected in the transaction with Scott Miller, only in these cases:
    Payment sent but merchandise not received. No response to your messages. Payment sent but merchandise not received as the seller described it.
    The insurer of this transaction is Yahoo Finance Inc.
    The account is managed by Yahoo Finance Security Center.
    This transaction is supervised by Yahoo Finance SafeTrade Team.
    Currently, the seller has a $5,000.00 deposit in an Yahoo Finance managed purchase protection account. Transactions with this seller are covered by purchase protection against fraud and description errors.
    Yahoo Finance repeatedly tries to encourage the other party to respond to a case, but we cannot fully guarantee participation, since the process is completely voluntary. If the respondent does not reply within one week from when the case was initially filed, it is unlikely that you will receive a response and we will close the case and refund you with the entire amount insured by the buyer protection policy valid for your case. If we hear from the other party after the case closes, we will reopen the case and notify you.
    You have 72 hours from the reception date to request the refund. Refund requests are processed within 3 days.

Thank you for using Yahoo Finance
    Susan Decker
    Yahoo Finance Customer Support
    ©2001-2008 Yahoo Finance Inc. All Rights Reserved
    Yahoo Finance and the Yahoo Finance logo are registered trademarks of Money Gram® Yahoo Finance® Inc.

Purchase Invoice - ID 8473009

Dear "victim" ,

Our customer's ( Scott Miller ) preferred payment method is:
    Money Gram® sm.
    You can pay with cash at any Money Gram Office and have payment sent to the Yahoo Finance Agent. That frees the seller to confidently send you your item - saving you days of waiting!
    IT'S EASY:
    Visit any one of Money Gram's nearly 45,000 Agent locations and fill out the appropriate Money Gram form to send your payment in cash.
    Your payment is typically sent within minutes … usually faster than paying with money orders or CODD.
    IT'S CONVENIENT:
    There are nearly 45,000 Money Gram Agent locations nationwide. Many are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Find an Agent location near you.

Item Information
    2003 John Deere 4110 Serial Number: LV4110H210622 ( 4 attachments included )

Payment Details
    Buyer: "victim"
    Item: 2003 John Deere 4110 Serial Number: LV4110H210622 ( 4 attachments included )
    Amount: 4,400.00 USD
    Down Payment: 0.00 USD
    Shipping: 0.00USD
    Total: 4,400.00 USD

Delivery Information

Victim's name and address

Seller Details
    First Name: Scott
    Last Name: Miller
    Street:
    735 Spring St
    City:
    Conneaut/OH
    Zip code: 44030

Important notice

Keep businesses operating smoothly. When you need to send money, and you've got to do it fast, turn to the convenience of the Money Gram ® - service (based on approval and subject to the hours of operation at the receiving Agent location).
    No matter which money transfer service you choose, you'll find them all reliable, easy and fast - providing both you and the receiver with instant peace of mind.
    Use Money Gram to transfer money to almost anywhere in the world. It's easy.
    Use cash and send money at more than 212,000 Money Gram Agent locations in over 195 countries and territories around the world.
    With representation this far reaching , there is sure to be a convenient Agent location near you.
    If the seller is registered with Yahoo Finance®, payment will be sent according to the seller's preferred payment method.
    If the seller is not registered, a money order will be delivered to the seller based on the information you will be asked to provide.
    The payment details are confidential and will not be released under any circumstances.
    Yahoo Finance security measures are constantly reviewed and modified given evolving circumstances globally, drawing on both internal assessments and the support of government agencies. Our constant priority is for the safety of our people, our customers, and the general public. Yahoo Finance always tries to fulfill its customers's needs.

How to complete payment?
    Pay with cash at any Money Gram Office using the Yahoo Finance Agent's payment details :
    First Name: Robert
    Last Name: Schott
    Street Address: 245 5th Ave
    City: New York
    State: NY
    Zip Code: 10016

*Send payment using a " 10 minutes " regular transfer and NOT an Express Payment. You must fill the Money Gram® form with your details in the Sender's area and with our Agent's details in the Receiver's area.
    You don't need a 4# code for this transaction because you are not using the Yahoo! "Pay-Direct" Service.
    Money Gram ® is not the insurer of this transaction. The insurer of this transaction is Yahoo Finance Inc.The account is managed by Yahoo Finance Security Center.This transaction is supervised by Yahoo Finance SafeTrade Team. Money Gram ® can't provide details about this transaction and/or any other transaction insured by Yahoo Finance
    Send us a copy of the payment receipt by fax at +1(206)-984-2028 .

If your payment is approved, typically within 6 hours, you will receive an email confirming that your payment is approved, after payment validation seller will receive an verified payment email confirmation and will be required to start the shipping process and submit the shipping receipts for validation within 48 hours. Payment will be held by Yahoo Finance until you confirm us that you are satisfied with the product that you received. As soon as we receive your confirmation we will get the payment available for pick up by the seller.
    Sincerely,
    Susan Decker

Yahoo Finance and the Yahoo Finance logo are registered trademarks of Money Gram® Yahoo Finance® Inc.

Verified Member Profile

Scott Miller
    A Yahoo Finance Member in good standing
    since 11-21-2003.
    Identity and/or Contact Information Verified.
    Continues to meet strict Membership Criteria.
    Committed to Dispute Resolution and Mediation.
    Transaction ID 8473009 is backed by Scott Miller's Buyer Protection Policy for up to $4,400.00.
    Yahoo Finance® is a fast, reliable way to pay or get paid for your online auctions.

Use it with eBay®, AutoTrader®, YahooAutos®, and more

Payment sent to the Yahoo Finance Agent

Available online

Use Yahoo Finance to pay for purchases made through online auctions, and spend less time and effort getting your goods.

Contact the Seller at sct49m@gmail.com
    You can apply to become a Yahoo Finance Member.
    Buyers will feel comfortable buying from you knowing that you are a verified seller and that you will resolve disputes.

If the seller is registered with Yahoo Finance®, payment will be sent according to the seller's preferred payment method. If the seller is not registered, a money order will be delivered to the seller based on the information you will be asked to provide.

What happens if the seller does not respond after the payment is completed?

Yahoo Finance repeatedly tries to encourage the other party to respond to a case, but we cannot guarantee participation, since the process is completely voluntary. If the respondent does not reply within one week from when the case was initially filed, it is unlikely that you will receive a response and we will close the case. If we hear from the other party after the case closes, we will reopen the case and notify you.
    Currently, the seller has a $5,000.00 deposit in an Yahoo Finance managed purchase protection account. Transactions with this seller are covered by purchase protection against fraud and description errors.
    The insurer of this transaction is Yahoo Finance Inc.
    The account is managed by Yahoo Finance Security Center.
    This transaction is supervised by Yahoo Finance SafeTrade Team.
    For buyers or sellers safety, if the owner of this account wants to withdraw the funds, he will have to wait at least 15 days from that day before the funds are released and the purchase protection account is closed.
    Should you need a refund for this transaction?
    The insured amount of the transaction will be taken from the seller's purchase protection account and refunded to you. The refund is sent to you by next day check or money order. The way you are refunded is at your discretion.You have 72 hours after you received the item covered by this purchase protection policy to inspect it and if necesary to request the refund. Refund requests are processed within 3 days.
    Yahoo Finance was founded in 2001 to provide a way for people to transact online with peace of mind. Since then, Yahoo Finance has rapidly grown to become the world's leading online auction payment service.
    Yahoo Finance was recognized with the "2002 Outstanding Practical Achievement Award" by the prestigious CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution. The World Economic Forum selected Yahoo Finance as one of the top 100 Technology Pioneers of 2001 and 2002. Yahoo Finance has acted as a key presenter to the Federal Trade Commission, the European Union and the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe on the issue of global online consumer protection. Yahoo Finance is a privately held company owned by FIRST DATA CORPORATION and funded by top tier investors, including Weston Presidio Capital and JP Morgan Partners.
    Yahoo Finance Buyer Protection Policy
    This policy was last modified on January 4, 2008.

Buyer ' victim ' should feel confident purchasing from a Yahoo Finance Member. Yahoo Finance Member ' Scott Miller ' has been verified by Yahoo Finance SafeTrade Team and is committed to customer satisfaction and resolving disputes via mediation.
    Yahoo Finance Inc confirms that you are fully protected in the transaction with ' Scott Miller ' only in these cases:
    Payment sent but item not received. No response to your messages. Payment sent but item not received as the seller described it.

You have 72 hours after you received the item covered by this purchase protection policy to inspect it and if necesary to request the refund. Refund requests are processed within 3 days.

Scott Miller's Selling Standards
    Disclose pricing, shipping and return policies in a clear and accurate manner
    Disclose contact information, if requested to do so by a buyer
    Respond to disputes filed and participate in mediation, if buyer requests
    Commits to meeting Yahoo Finance Standards.

If you need to contact our Customer Support Department please respond to this email with information regarding your case by clicking the button below.

Sincerely,
    Susan Decker

Is there any way to stop this guy? I almost fell for his scam until I found this site - I wanted to use Paypal to pay - he replied that if I didn't want to use Yahoo! Finance that he had another buyer who would. I would like some input on how to stop this type of scam.

its just spam. they ask 1000 people to send them money by western union and one day, somebody does. then all their friends see they now have money so everybody tries same thing. that's what they do in internet cafes in nigeria and eastern europe.

Quote Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
    its just spam. they ask 1000 people to send them money by western union and one day, somebody does. then all their friends see they now have money so everybody tries same thing. that's what they do in internet cafes in nigeria and eastern europe.

Yup, stupid people send them more money than they would make in one year in their country. Why shouldn't all their friends try it?
    econobiker
    "The debt collection industry and the alternative legal system that has been created around it can no longer be ignored by the federal government," US Representative Dennis Kucinich said July 22, 2009

Update!Consumers gaining ground against mandatory binding arbitration- see:

http://www.cutimes.com/Issues/2009/A...bitration.aspx

In Maine, it is an '03 JD 4410 tractor with attachments....unfortunately, I got taken.

I attempted to check him out online via yahoo web search, and nothing bad was listed....It wasn't until my son suggested Googling him, that I found this site AND the information.

I called the Forecaster--paper the ad was run in--to let them know. He had placed the ad online and it was not rerun this week...gee, why? 'Cuz I already sent the $4400....

Just frosts my backside...because I thought I took all the precautions...

Tough price to pay, but in the end, God will get the person/persons who did this. Fyrfytr722

4140 JD for $4400. Got taken too. I checked him out on ggogle but nothing came up until after I sent the jerk the money. What a sucker I was. I filed a complaint with the FBI internet fraud department but it is hard to catch someone like this. WHAT A SCAM!

We've watched this guy closely and it's pretty apparent he's a nut ball, although one who successfully scams good folks. Google will do absolutely NOTHING to shut down his advertised email addresses, even when shown repeated hard evidence. His phone company in Seattle WILL shut down his fax line when shown evidence and has done so on a number of occassions.

The FBI et al could probably do something IF they wanted to. It's our feeling this character may be an educated American possibly living in the eastern time zone.

If you see a scam similar to this one, please post the email address you see in the ads. We can keep giving him trouble if we know what address he's using.

The guy uses many different email addresses but all with a similar content of John Deere tractor that is very low priced. BOTTOM LINE don't send anyone moneygrams or wire funds. I filed a complaint with the FBI computer fraud devision but they never got back to me. This is probably "small fish" for them and can't be bothered. Go to this link and file as many complaints as possible and maybe then something will happen.:
    IC3 Complaint Referral Form
    Last edited by mumbles; 09-12-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: ad removed

John Deere 4110 $4,200

.... I wanted to pay in hard earned cash but it didn't interest the seller. After a friend sent me a link to this thread now i know why.

Check this link out ....

http://charlestonwv.*****slist.org/tls/1255799254.html
    Last edited by DeMag; 07-06-2009 at 08:51 PM.

ROB43R@gmail.com
    Thank goodness I ran across this post before getting involved...here is the email i received..
    To see all the pictures click here: http://tinypic.com/a/wr2s/2. Description: 2002 JOHN DEERE TRACTOR 5205 DIESEL with LOADER & MOWER, Make: John Deere, Fuel: Diesel, Model: 5205, Engine Cylinders: 3 Model Year: 2002, Engine HP: 53,Hours: 110, Transmission: Synchro Shift, Drive: 4WD, Serial Number: LV5205C221273, 5-speed transmission w/reverser, Accessories: 73-in John Deere 521 HD Loader (joystick control), 6-ft Woods Rotary Mower, Dual Rear SCV, Armrests, Cold Weather Package, Tech and Operators Manuals, Garage Kept. All has been Maticously maintained according to owners manual maintenance sheets. Also all manuals for everything listed are included. It is ready to go to work for you. We had to sell the farm after my brother fell off a horse and got paralyzed. I'm spending most of my time at the hospital with him. For making this a lot more easier and faster I would like to use Yahoo Finance to complete this transaction.This service allows us to complete the transaction quick and safe for both of us. It acts like a third party between seller and buyer, to insure that the buyer receives the item and the seller receives the payment. If you want to buy the tractor, get back to me and I'll tell you how it works.
    PS: I can ship you the tractor for $750, it will be delivered in 4 days; you'll pay the shipping fees when you'll receive it .
    I told him I would like to pick it up directly and pay cash...Obviously no response WHAT A JERK!!!
    Thank you for this website!!!
    I hope everyone finds this before they get taken!

I wasn't falling for it, but here he is in our *****s list. Attached is his e-mail, I say load him up with as much junk mail as you can send him..........

Hi I'm Andrew,
    The 2003 John Deere Compact Tractor is still for sale. The tractor is equipped with diesel engine 21HP, 4x4, 262hrs. The title is clear and on my name. My final price is $4,200. I already have tons of emails so I hope you understand that I need to sort them out. I will take in consideration only those buyers who are really interested in buying the tractor, to be sure that I don't waste my time with endless discussions. This way I shall be assured of the serious intentions, so let me to know if you are still interested.
    Here are some pictures with my tractor that I have for sale: http://picasaweb.google.com/andrew49bttn/JohnDeere#
    Thank you.
    and

Hi again,

The tractor is already at a shipping company. I took it there to be able to
    ship it to a potential buyer while I'm out of town. My brother in law works
    there, and he promised me that it will cost me nothing to ship it in the US.
    I also have the John Deere listed on eBay and that lets me use their
    secured system. I'm very busy with my job and I'm sorry I can't meet you in
    person. According to eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the
    tractor to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.

So if you really want it click on Buy it Now on the below link and after you
    complete the payment of $4,200 to the eBay`s representative let me know your
    full name and full shipping address to send your new tractor. After you get
    it you have 5 days to test driving and if you decide to keep it, eBay will
    release me the money, else you will be refunded and the shipping company
    will take back the tractor and will keep it until I`ll find a new buyer.

Click on the following link to be redirected to the eBay`s auction: http://img7.totalh.com/tH4hbs0hk

Thanks
    E-mail addy

andrew49button@comcast.net

If you see a scam similar to this one, please post the email address you see in the ads. We can keep giving him trouble if we know what address he's using.[/quote]

This gem just showed up in our little newspaper. 2002 JD 5205 for $4300.
    The guy listed rob48r@gmail.com
    (lets not do phone numbers - mod)
    Last edited by mumbles; 07-21-2009 at 06:27 PM.

There is an add in the Austin, TX American Statesman classifieds for a JD 5205 for $4300

Look at the picture in the Details. Area code (972) is in the Dallas / Ft. Worth TX area. Also a gmail email address.
    http://class.statesman.com/classifie...d_id=189773731

2002 John Deere 5205 Diesel, price $4300, Mower, Loader, 4WD, pictures and details at vex21r@gmail.com, . $4300, (972)947-3852

The same picture is also in the following link for a 5205 located in Duncan Oklahoma.
    http://tinypic.com/a/wr2s/2

This is a new e-mail address being used to sell a 2002 JD 5205, Mower, Loader, 4WD, $4300.00. robrr65@gmail.com, 866-597-5148

This same add ran in St. Louis and Kansas City this past weekend. He used two email addresses for this one. I searched the first and didn't find anything. I'm not any good at online research but what I could find out I thought was legit. He got me...but after I sent the money the 'verification notice' from yahoo finance was actually signed William Ruse and his follow-up reply came back with a different email address and that one led me directly to this site. Thank you! I managed to cancel the transaction and got all of my money back. The two addresses he used were robrr6@gmail.com and rob43r@gmail.com.
    Last edited by cls2st00pid; 08-20-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: remove two names at the end of this post just in case they are real people and innocent in all of this